Recycling is great for the environment, but it’s hardly creative. What if you could prevent tin cans from ending up in landfills, have a blast working on handmade projects and get some snazzy decor out of the deal? That’s where upcycling comes in! Before you toss that empty coffee container in the blue bin, take a look at these upcycled tin can crafts from Pinterest. You might get inspired. (And not just because you’re hopped up from all that coffee!)

tin can planter

There’s no need to run out and get ceramic pots if you want to set up an indoor garden. Collect some empty cans and give them the Apartment Therapy treatment. A little wrapping paper transforms these ordinary vessels into perfectly presentable planters.

tin can caddy

Viola from Shabby Chic Inspired proves you don’t have to sacrifice form for function with this tin can craft caddy. The frilly setup gets even more convenient when perched atop a Lazy Susan.

tin can table number

Looking to trim your wedding budget without cutting back on style? DIY tin can table numbers from 100 Layer Cake will only set you back $5-10 to make and they glow so warmly. Even if you’re not headed down the aisle, these luminaries would add ambiance to any outdoor party.

tin can windsock

Celebrate the end of summer with windsocks from Wabi-Sabi Wanderings. With only minor McGyvering, these tin, ribbon and twine dancers twirl beautifully in the trees.

tin can pendant light
Painted tin can pendant lights can add interest to ordinary kitchens and dining rooms. Pick a color that pops and follow the photo tutorial on Shelterness. A lot more practical than the tin can phones you used as a kid, no?

Check out this great roundup from Under the Table and Dreaming for even more tin can projects. Which craft caught your eye? And do you have any material suggestions for next week? Leave them in the comments below!

Handmade

1. Gina says:

Some great ideas for using tin cans. Thanks for this blog.

2. Paint Me Plaid says:

Thanks for sharing. These projects are great.

3. Beth says:

I like the luminaries a lot. Also is there a craft you can do with empty yogurt containers?

4. Lili@HGTV says:

Those purple pendants are fantastic!

5. RAJ says:

The craft caddy is so girly. I love it.

6. Irene Foss says:

I like the craft caddy too. It would be perfect for my sewing room. With the many tools I need for my quilting passion it would be perfect and as RAJ says "so girly"I

7. dee says:

the purple lights would be great outside strung on the trees for a party. the wind sock is great. you could use some popcorn tins. i really like the wood look planters. where is the paper available? i suppose you could use the paint roller with the wood grain.

• Howard Lofton says:

Dee ,
      The Wizard of Oz ,
      I make a small Tin Man out of size cans , I can send you pictures and tel you how many different ways they can be used . Howard from Alabama

• Linda says:

I saw one in a yard near my house recently. I would love to see pictures of yours and have the diretions for making one.

Linda

8. Carol says:

I think the tin can crafts are "cheesey" looking and immature. There is a book on tin can art that's much better

• Linda says:

Carol, Could you please tell me what the name of the book is. I am trying to come up with some crafts to do when all my adult children come home for Thanksgiving, We always do crafts every year. Linda

9. [...] Designer MacGyver: 5 Upcycled Tin Can Crafts [...]

10. Diane Webb says:

Hi,
    I liked your blog and I personally invite you to join http://www.coollectors.com – The World's Free Collectors Zone.
    We will also be happy to cooperate with your blog such as adding its link to our site.
    All the best,