All over the country, kids are headed back to school — a reminder that fall and then the holidays are coming up fast. If you haven’t already, now’s a great time to start your Christmas crafting. To help you deck the halls with handmade goodies, I’ve gathered a few of my favorite Christmas crafts.

French for shadow or shade, ombré continues to top the must-try trends for both fashion and interior design. Which is good news because these Ombré Felt Trees are too cute to miss:

Ombre Felt Christmas Trees

No mantel in your home or apartment for hanging stockings? No worries! Our How to Make a Faux Mantel project has the Santa Seal of Approval.Make a Faux Mantel

Kids will love helping you create these Yarn and Button Topiaries, sure to add a colorful pop to your mantel, foyer, buffet or dining room table.  Yarn and Button Topiaries

Don’t toss a dated mirror. Hot glue and a few twigs gathered from your backyard are all you need to give it this pretty, winter update.
Winter Twig Mirror

Ready to get started? Get our best handmade holiday ideas for your craftiest Christmas yet! And tell us in the comments below, when do you start your holiday crafting?

Want to get more great ideas for holiday crafts? Sign up for our daily holiday newsletter to get 31 Pinterest-worthy projects starting October 1.

1. [...] Jump-Start Your Christmas Crafting HGTV Design Happens Wed, August 8, 2012 2:01 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

2. Shawn says:

Love the faux mantel idea.

3. Debbie Y. says:

I've been working on my Christmas crafts for a while now.

4. Joyce Gray says:

Thank you for the ideas you have given me. I love doing Christmas crafts best of all.

5. Angie says:

Began doing my Christmas crafts in June.

6. susan says:

Check out my online shop where i sell my handmade crafts here's a link below. http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaudyGalsDesigns?ref=ss_

7. Jodie says:

I love Christmas crafts. I went through Hobby Lobby this weekend looking at Christmas ideas bypassing Halloween. I just love sparkle and color!

8. karen says:

love,love,love these ideas!!!

9. Donna R. says:

LOVE the mantel idea! Have been lugging around a piece like that for years, but not putting it up because it was too "country". Just moved, miss my real mantel and don't have one here. Am SO going to do this, and have just the right welcoming spot for it across from the front door. Thank you!

10. Kat says:

A really great addition to decorating your Christmas tree is the Yuleahoop. It makes decorating the tree not only store quality in looks, but super easy too! Check it out at <a href="http://www.yuleahoop.com” target=”_blank”>www.yuleahoop.com