When searching for my current home (my first!), I had a pretty long list of must-haves: a fireplace, crown molding, hardwood floors, a fenced-in yard for my pups and an en-suite bath for myself. I also wanted a foyer — a separate antechamber with enough room for an entry table and a few decorations plus a closet for hidden storage. Well, as is true of many first-time homebuyers, I got most of the things on my list but something had to give. You guessed it: I didn’t get a foyer; the front door opens directly into my living room. Oh well, you can’t win ‘em all.

Luckily my living room is pretty big (15′ x 21′) so I just designated a 6′ x 10′ area to use as a foyer:

traditional home entryway with collection of framed photos

A sea-grass basket under the entry table holds my pups’ leashes and harnesses plus a few must-reads:
basket with magazines in traditional home entryway

An old window-turned-coatrack is conveniently located behind the door:

coat rack behind door

Ready to re-imagine your home? Check out our handy features Make Space and Small Space Design Guide then tell us in the comments below how you’ve put space planning to work.

1. Celia says:

Your foyer is beautiful. Love the wall arrangement shown. Beautiful.

2. Joyce G. says:

Very pretty foyer. Very elegant and tasteful.

3. Charlene Woods says:

I like how you did the coat rack behind the door.

4. Andrea says:

What kind of little dog is that? So cute.

5. hgtvcamille says:

She's a Bichon Frise and, believe it or not, she'll be 10 years old next month.

6. Andrea says:

She's beautiful.

7. Tammie says:

Your home is beautiful.

8. pixelecho69 says:

You have great sense of style and I think that all you need is a little imagination
    and you could do great things even if you had little space to work with but since
    you have a large living room you're foyer came out beautiful it's lovely.

9. Jennifer Carroll says:

Great job! I have a similar situation in my new home. Haven't finished my faux-foyer yet but I'm inspired to tackle it soon!! Thanks for sharing how you conquered this project!!

10. 4Grammy says:

I would love to create a beautiful foyer like yours but my living room is only 11 feet by 14 1/2 feet with three doorways, a regular sized window and a picture window. Just repainted my front door to a similar color to yours after having it a brighter red. Love it!