The recent phenomenon that is Honey Boo Boo got me thinking. Well actually it’s what the young beauty queen is competing for that got my mind stirring — the coveted tiara. They’re sort of intriguing.

Honey Boo Boo

Alana Thompson of TLC's "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo"

Whereas Honey Boo Boo is relatively new to wearing tiaras, Queen Elizabeth has been sporting jewels on her head for decades. Liz could probably offer Honey a tip or two (you know these things must be difficult to balance).

Queen Elizabeth

Queen Elizabeth's tiara is adorned with 96 rubies.

Audrey Hepburn came to mind immediately after the Queen. Audrey could certainly rock a tiara in her heyday (I bet Ms. Hepburn would have loved little Alana).

Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday"

What say you about tiaras? Should they be reserved for royalty? What about brides? Talk to me.

Accessories

1. Farima@HGTV says:

Tiaras are fabulous, and I would wear one every day if people didn't judge me for it. :)

2. Julie says:

There's a great blog ( http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/ ) that has a weekly feature about tiaras – Tiara Thursday – where she explores a lot of lesser known, beautiful, historic pieces. Worth checking out.

3. Vickie A. says:

I've always admired tiaras and want one to this day!

4. Jamie Matthews says:

A tiara would be the ONLY classy thing going for little Honey Boo Boo. Well…her family anyway.

5. Joanne says:

Tiaras are always so elegant. I like to see a bride wearing one.

6. interioragostin says:

Every women wants to wear tiaras because it would make them feel like a queen. Tiara symbolize femininity and royalty. interior decorator from Naples Florida