Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake is an old southern dessert and right now, it’s a highly-favored pin on Pinterest. Many pinners and bloggers say they had it at Cracker Barrel and attempted to make it at home.

Chocolate cure for anxiety

Recipes vary online. This Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake recipe hails from a southern church cookbook; which I would argue is one of the most reliable sources for knowing how to cook amazing food.

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup carbonated cola (not diet)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour and sugar in bowl. Heat margarine, cocoa, coke and marshmallows to boiling. Pour over flour and sugar, beating well. Add buttermilk, eggs, soda and vanilla. Mix well. Bake in greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.

Icing:
1/2 cup margarine
3 tablespoons coke
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 box confectioners sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Combine margarine, coke, vanilla and cocoa. Heat to boiling. Pour over sugar. Beat well. (If it looks thick, add a little milk). Stir in nuts and spread over baked cake while it’s warm.

(From First Broadstreet United Methodist Church, Kingsport, Tenn. 1980 cookbook)

Coca-Cola was invented as a cure for ailments, including anxiety and depression. I’m not sure about that but I can report having a much better disposition after eating this piece of cake the other night.

What is your favorite feel-good food?

Entertaining

1. Rhonda Mitchell says:

oh my goodness! My two favorite things! Thanks for this!

2. pixelecho69 says:

! Yummy ! It looks delicious I think I want to try it over the weekend thanks for
    recipe.

3. Brenda S. says:

Looks/sounds sooooo good!

4. Stephanie C says:

dumb question but…soda as in baking soda?

• Bennie says:

I think that's what they mean, I was wondering the same thing.

• Maggie B says:

yes, baking soda. we've been making this cake since I was in Jr High (about 45 years ago) and it's one of our faves. This is the exact recipe we've used.
      I now use 1 1/2 c sugar & I use any kind of cola I have on hand — diet works just as well. I use only butter, never margarine.

5. Asheem Jabbar says:

My dentist in old bridge is probably going to scold me for trying this out, but it'll be worth it. Everyone has the right to indulge from time to time.

6. Liz says:

This sounds scrumptuous. Wonder about another flavor additive – - like using a strawberry flavored soda/beverage or orange soda. The fruit flavor with the chocolate. I'm drooling. Have to make this cake.

7. mary says:

Im a transplanted Tarheel to a Hoosier….Been making this cake for years. favorite of my family. Yes it is regular old Arm& Hammer baking soda…

8. Jami K says:

My favorite feel-good food reminds me of your cake – a Crock Pot Chocolate Cherry Cake. It's so easy – cake mix, butter, cherry pie filling and really delicious! http://getcrocked.com/2011/09/27/crock-pot-chocol

9. Elizabeth says:

Mary, You are really correct on this one. My calculations put this recipe at about 40 years old. There are some variations which work nicely: Use all buttermilk for the liquid, Use all Coke for the liquid, Please use real butter for a smoother chocolaty flavor, Dr. Pepper does work as substitute. This cake improves with age… that is about three days. The all buttermilk version is very sweet but not so sweet as the Coke and Dr. Pepper versions. Such an easy and amazing cake which seems to always be loved by everyone. One point in the making of the frosting – Either sift the confectioners sugar or process it for at 15 seconds. either method will prevent most if not all the tiny little clumps which may occur otherwise.

This may be my faulty memory but I believe that my mom said it was first published in Ladies Home Journal. ?

10. Victoria says:

This piece of cake looks absolutely gorgeous.
    Chocolate cake is my favorite and this is a Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake…..awesome what more can i ask for!!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
    Beautiful and yummy cake :D