I’m the proud owner of a great house that came equipped with the world’s most hideous kitchen cabinets:

Horrible, huh? (Yes, that is contact paper peeling off the drawer. I know…ew.) A full kitchen remodel isn’t happening anytime soon, so I’m relying on the budget decorator’s best friend — paint — to make my cabinets more beautiful.

Since I’ll be giving the paneled walls a whitewash treatment, I’m leaning towards colorful cabinets to liven up my kitchen. I’m in love with the cool Caribbean blue of these cabinets designed by TD[S] Furniture + Cabinetry:

TDS Furniture and Cabinetry - Blue Kitchen Cabinets
I’m also considering keeping some cabinets neutral and adding color in key spots, like this aqua island from Austin-based firm Loop Design

Loop D Design - Colorful Austin Kitchen

…or this bold retro oven featured alongside white and gray cabinets in this midcentury kitchen makeover by Savannah-based designer Celestino Piralla.

Midcentury Rancher Kitchen Makeover

With some updated cabinet pulls and a few glass inserts, it will be like a whole new kitchen…almost.

Add Glass Inserts to Kitchen Cabinets
Ready to paint your own kitchen cabinets? Check out our step-by-step cabinet painting project to learn how from start to finish.

What would you do with these kitchen cabinets? Suggestions welcome!

Read Liz’s previous House Diaries posts here and follow her home inspiration board on Pinterest.

1. Shane says:

That aqua island is an eyesore with the green paint. It has "planned obsolescence" written all over it!

2. Hollylustre says:

I've done LOTS of fix up projects, for myself as well as friends. With a great primer, you can paint laminate…but on a heavily used surface like a kitchen cabinet, the chances of it holding up well are slim.
    My favorite solution….prime and paint all the wood, trim, bases and sides, then paint. Over the laminate, you can decoupage a great paper or even fabric, the choices are astounding! Just be sure to finish all the surfaces with several coats of water based urethane. And BTW, in my humble opinion, I would definitely do a light wash of paint on that knotty pine paneling. Nothing dates a room like knotty pine!

3. Liz_HGTV says:

I haven't ever had glass cabinet doors, but I think they're so pretty! I will probably use frosted glass so that the dishes are outlined but not completely visible, and add a light inside for a glow factor.

4. Wendi says:

Id LOVE to paint my cabinets that ocean color.

5. acpest says:

I am happy to find this content very helpful and informative for me, as it contains lot of accurate detailing about the topic, which I was searching for. Thanks a lot and good luck.
    kitchen cabinets sydney

6. Einah says:

I loved the aqua color as it gives cool and relaxing ambiance when cooking or preparing foods. This will greatly help me too as I am looking for new ideas to remodel our kitchen as well. And hey, you can also take a look with Denver paint contractors as well as they do great and amazing works.

7. What i do not understood is if truth be told
    how you are not actually much more neatly-preferred than you may be now.

You’re very intelligent. You know thus significantly in the case of this
    matter, produced me personally believe it from a lot
    of varied angles. Its like men and women are not interested except it is one thing
    to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs excellent.
    Always care for it up!