Here at HGTV.com, we’re already fans of saturated, moody emerald green — we even chose it as our September Color of the Month! So we were thrilled when we heard that color authority Pantone crowned the color its 2013 Color of the Year.

This sophisticated shade has slowly worked its way into fashion and home, from red carpet looks to vibrant home accents. Pantone considered the color’s emotional appeal, too: “Symbolically, emerald brings a sense of clarity, renewal and rejuvenation, which is so important in today’s complex world,” remarked Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, in today’s press release.

One of the hue’s best qualities is its ability to be both luxurious and casual, both modern and classic. Designer Andrea Schumacher gave the classic white kitchen a twist by painting this home’s island an unexpected emerald green and pairing the hue with blue floral wallpaper and Murano glass chandeliers.

Green Blue White Palette

Emerald is bold enough to be used as an accent color in a neutral space, like designer Jolene Huitt did here with monochromatic accessories in this high-end bathroom.

Green Neutral Palette
But emerald can be more playful, too, when paired with other hues from the green family or friends from across the color wheel like orange and yes, even red. Designer Linda Bergrot created the inspired pattern pairing in this bright, airy living room.

Emerald Green Palette

What do you think of Pantone’s 2013 Color of the Year choice? How will you use emerald green next year?

1. Jennifer says:

Just because they say so, doesn't make it so. Garish. No way around it.

2. Lala says:

I have to agree, a little outdated for my taste. How about Mediterranean Blue for the new color, with a splash of reds and yellows?! That's my new favorite….this week anyway! Winter has me wanting for the deep blue seas.

3. Lynn says:

This is one of those colors a few women wear really well, and look fabulous doing it. But even they don't wear it all the time, and it needs just the right jewelry.

On an island or over a large wall, I cannot stomach this color. The two glass bottles would be okay.

4. Bonnie Lecat says:

Wow…emerald green. Totally 80's!! Could terra cotta and peach be far behind?

• Ann says:

I agree Bonnie Lecat. Remember Hunter Green in the 80's? So many people painted their family rooms this color and bought hunter green, burgundy and beige patterened sofas to match. Emerald Green is beautiful in tiny doses.

5. gloria says:

Any thing is better than that god awful red that was suppose to be popular. Every time I went into a house that had red walls in it I wanted to throw-up! I paint my walls any color I want and have never cared "what is in"

6. Stephanie Palmer says:

When I was a kid, my mother painted our refrigerator, our washing machine and our freezer emerald green. She liked it so much that she painted her bedroom the same color. Memories………..

7. Christy says:

It was not emerald green, it was avacado green carpet, with orange furniture and black wrought iron in the 70's
    Emerald is richer, warmer and brighter, however the painted island looks to flat, the glass bottles, a glass backsplash seem a better accent for the kitchen, or just wear some emeralds (or emerald colored) jewelry while cooking….sparkle, sparkle.

8. Donna says:

Emerald Green is one of those colors when placed as an accent stands out beautifully, but placed in small areas as a focal point wear thin very quickly. Paire this color with neutrals, white or black only.
    Blues, reds, orange, pink and purple colors paired with emerald green takes me past the 80's and into the 60's and begins to take on a circus type atmosphere. Some of the photos make me want to take a nap.

9. maureen says:

emerald green…yikes, anyone using it like this must not have lived through the 80's!!

10. Lauren says:

Reminds me of colors we're still trying to update- looks like old photo's- not new. The bottle scene was somewhat attractive, but then again, it was like old pics, not new. I think a lot more thought needs to go into decorating with this color for a fresh new look- not old looks redone the same way.