BRIANA: Forget the whole real tree vs. fake tree debate. Let’s taste the rainbow. Do colorful Christmas trees make you say “Ho, ho, ho!” or “NO, NO, NO!”?

pink christmas tree

BRIAN PATRICK FLYNN: I prefer a bold-colored tree over the usual green. It sparks more creativity for putting together an unexpected Christmas color scheme. For example: Hot pink and seafoam ornaments on a hunter green pine tree make no impact and look stupid-ish. Stick those sassy mommas on an ultra-white, turquoise or black tree and KAZAM!, graphic, technicolor world peace.

GRANT: I’m a traditionalist in most other decor areas, but goodness gracious — I am sick to death of green trees and all-white lights. For the love, why is that still popular? For that matter, why are outdoor icicle lights still happening? It. Doesn’t. Look. Like. Snow. But, I digress. Ho, ho, ho, bring on some color!

red christmas tree

KAYLA: I’m going to defend the trend with a picture of the top half of my Christmas tree. It’s icy purple (yay, Grant!) and covered in pink bow ornaments, cupcakes and silver balls. Glitter everywhere. Obviously my boyfriend is thrilled with the uber-feminine holiday decor.

kayla christmas tree

MARIANNE: Our big tree is a real one, but it’s decorated in a riot of color (big colorful lights, bubble lights, and vintage ornaments!). I do have a tiny, glittery pink tree in another room that I have a real soft spot for. I just can’t let go of my real tree.

ABBI: I am now obsessed with Grant’s red Christmas tree. That. Is. Amazing. But, I’m also drawn to a semi-new trend that Grant wrote about on the blog: black Christmas trees. I think that light and colorful ornaments would just pop out and look so cool on a dark, dark tree like this:
black christmas tree

LIZ: I was totally torn this year. I love the tradition of going to pick out a real tree and dressing it with vintage ornaments, but sparkly trees are just so fun! I’m especially loving vintage aluminum trees:

vintage christmas tree

So I have a large real tree, and a small silver tinsel tree. Who knows, I may get Grant’s red tree and have THREE next year.

FARIMA: I love that vintage tree! I don’t like the smell of a real tree in my house, so I’m all about artificial ones. The colorful ones remind me of candy and feel more festive than the traditional green.

CAMILLE: I feel the same way about the crazy colorful trees as I do about the SUVs dressed up like reindeer or grown adults wearing sweaters that light up – they’re funny, a little bit of Christmas kitsch. Would I have one in my house? No fa-la-la way.

christmas novelties

Photo, from left to right: The Daily Green, Party City

You’ve heard our spectrum of opinions on colorful Christmas trees, now tell us how YOU feel:

1. elwny says:

For me, it's a green tree with white lights and mostly silver/white/blue/clear ornaments – when the apartment lights are off, it almost looks like a snow-covered tree. I can live with that for a month or so, which I couldn't with a brighter tree.
    But I love seeing what other people do with their decorations – we don't all have to be the same.

2. indimenticabile says:

one of the most beautifully artful trees I've seen, a friend of mine lived in a loft downtown…one wall was all glass and 12 ft tall windows.
    She bought 3 white wire Martha Stewart Christmas trees from KMART (lights already on the branches) and created a 12 foot tall white beauty! In addition to the white lights that came on the tree she had it filled with clear crystal (like) icicle ornaments. STUNNING! At the Christmas party she hosted, she had cement floors and walls, exposed hardware, white sofa, bedding, big fluffy pillows and candles everywhere. Other than the under (industrial) kitchen cabinet lighting, the only light was from the tree, reflection and candles. It was fabulous!

3. Perla Hemmig says:

Ich bin gerade erst anfangen, um wieder in meine techy selbst! Die Armee hat wirklich versucht, es zu vernichten aus mir heraus … sondern etwas über Computer / Biotech / Healthcare tech … Ich kann sie nicht allein lassen! Ich versuche, wieder lernen, all das Neue

4. Weg ta gaan pal! Je liet ze echt!

5. Nila Scherr says:

Kan niet zeggen dat dit uitstekend, maar ik ben het eens dat dit een goed stuk werk, dat wat waardering van jullie rechtvaardigt.

6. Janey says:

Love Camille’s response – no fa la la la way!! Not in my house either! Just as tacky as the 60′s silver rotating tree with multi- colored spotlights!

7. Julie says:

I just purchased a red Mountain King tree and am in love with it!!!

8. ヴェイパー 9 Colored Christmas Trees – Trendy Colored Christmas Trees | HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens

9. Nancy says:

yes, the white looks like fallen snow on the branches. You can get plenty of color and creativity with the ornaments. I can't believe the gaudiness of the colors they are coming out with now. Also, lets remember that this is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus.