Today The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens in theaters everywhere. In honor of the movie’s premiere, I present to you some of my favorite real life “hobbit houses” (also known as woodland homes). Can’t you just see Bilbo Baggins living in one of these?

Hobbit House

From Impressive Magazine

Hobbit House

From Homesteading and Survivalism Store

Hobbit House

From Beautiful Art

Hobbit House
Hobbit House

What about you? Could you see yourself living in a “hobbit house?” Tell me in the Comments!

Inspiring Spaces

1. RSS says:

YES! I could definitely live in one of these. So quaint and unusual.

• JEB in Hawaii says:

Absolutely charming homes. My sister would move in immediately and enjoy every moment of rain drops sparkling with the streaks of sunlight flowing through the forest. Also, liked some of the replies and suggestions previously written in 'Reply'.

2. Amy R. says:

These are great.

3. Dorothy says:

awesome… could definately see myself living in one

4. Sandy says:

The last one looks like an eye poking up from the ground. They look quaint and would make an interesting guest cottage.

5. Briana Y. says:

I could live in one of these.

6. Quiltworm says:

I could do it as long as they are as nice as the one on the show! I do need a sewing room tho! ;)

7. Michelle says:

My husband and I have dreamed for years of building a hobbit house after the kids are grown.

8. I see two technologies that can make this type of underground house more viable.
    1. LED lighting. The biggest issue with underground house is lighting. As LED lights come down in price living with less light will not be such an issue. They last a long time and use very little energy…
    2. Solatubes. Designed to transmit light from the roof to rooms which have no windows. Brings sunlight into enclosed spaces. Would works just as good transmitting light through earth.
    Almost all of these Hobbit Houses are made from all natural materials. Stone. wood, earth and brick. Paint and stain has become much better in the last few years so using wood is no longer such a chore….
    I have a geodesic home. Most geodesic homes are god awful ugly. They try to be contemporary. I redid the outside of my dome with all natural materials (cedar roofing and wood siding) and went with a "country cute" slant. Wood shutter and flower boxes for the windows. It looks great:)

9. PeterAsher says:

I would like to post some photos of the curved house we built in 1968/74
    when we were a wood-shop in the EastVillage named Middle Earth

10. Regina says:

I love, love, love these homes.I would feel so safe in one.I did't know there were such homes except in my mind.Now that would be my dream home <3:*

Grant DudleyGrant is the editor-in-chief of Design Happens and digital programming manager of HGTV.com. Despite growing up begging his mom not to ever drag him to another antique store, today his...

• DIY No Carve Lace & Glitter Pumpkins - HGTV Handmade