We’ve seen a spike in the number of online readers searching for tips on how to paint furniture. It’s a quick, inexpensive way to give old pieces a dramatic new look, which can transform an entire room.

Designer Tyler Wisler says, “Painting is always the easiest and quickest way to give any outdated piece of furniture an instant makeover, but the key to all of it, regardless of the color choice, is to prep. Prep, prep, prep those pieces correctly! Just grabbing a can of paint and having at it will inevitably end in cracked and peeling paint in no time. A good once over with a fine grit sandpaper, then a thorough wipe down with a damp cloth to get rid of any dust particles, is the simplest way to get the paint to stick to the piece and will last so much longer!”

How to Paint Furniture

If you want to give it a try, follow these “8 Simple Steps on How to Paint Furniture.”

After you’ve done the prep work, get creative!

The October/November 2012 issue of HGTV Magazine featured DIY projects using inexpensive mini sample jars of paint.

How to Paint Furniture with Sample Jars of Paint, from the Experts at HGTV Magazine

If you’re going for a vintage look, check out our step-by-step guide on “How to Distress Furniture.”

How to Distress Furniture

Tell us what DIY projects you want to try this month…or just keep clicking.

Announcements, DIY, Furniture

1. Moim zdaniem najładniejsze są meble kuchenne robione na zamówienie z firmy STYL DOM MIX. Mają naprawdę porządne meble kuchenne. Zajrzyjcie sobie na tą stronę: http://www.meble-do-kuchni.net

2. Kuchnie glamour to naprawdę super wyglądające meble kuchenne! http://www.meble-do-kuchni.net

3. louisville says:

Excellent function! This is the kind of info which might be allowed to be provided over the world wide web. Humiliation on Google for not ranking this publish bigger! Can occur over as well as talk to my own site. Thank you Equates to)

4. Ashli <3 says:

I AM IN NEED OF HELP (lol) I have cherry color wood furniture EVERYWHERE in my bedroom and I would love to paint it all black. I see diy videos and I hear thats its not as easy as it looks, and I watch your channel a lot but I need some advice, any ideas?

5. twitter.com says:

Remarkable! Got to share ;)

6. wear dirt bike pants in khaki in addition to charcoal should really be divorce lawyers atlanta teen’s set of clothes.

7. your lady was break age ultra therefore,reallyund at 19 we noweks truthfully our own health wasn’t able to communicate to the from the outside what occupation was a student in have done find out your lady so that the audit the gender predictor first at 36 eks? this person was probably supervisor down after that just.

8. Charlie yelled to work with henry to order a fire automobile up to our deter.

9. Peter says:

I'm about to repaint my kitchen cabinet and don't know how to start .Lucky I found your blog. Thanks very much!

10. redposie.com says:

Use a deglosser or Surface Prep before you paint

11. Heidi says:

Annie Sloan is an amazing product! I took her class. I could reinvent everything from the past and it is so easy!

12. redposie.com says:

Use a deglosser before you apply the paint

Sarah HerronSarah is the HGTV.com Programming Coordinator. For Design Happens, she tracks online trends and shares treasured family recipes. Sarah is also HGTV’s in-house Pinterest guru. When she’s not pinning like...

See What We’re Pinning