Seeing groups of yellow and purple flowers always cheers me up in late winter; the blooms are like spring’s first official order of business. Inside the house, this combo of color wheel opposites is less common since it can be tricky to balance the two bold hues.

To get it right, take a cue from some of spring’s first blossoms. The colors of daffodils and crocuses look fabulous against the backdrop of the neutral, still-thawing ground. It’s the same in your living room: accents of deep purple and mustard yellow add color and vibrancy to a warm gray base hue (without making the room into a Lakers shrine.)

Yellow, Purple and Gray Living Room Color Palette - HGTV's Design Happens Blog

Living Room :: Crocuses and Daffodils

What do you think? Would you try this bold palette in your home?

Get more color palette inspiration from our previous Tuesday Huesday posts.

Tuesday Huesday

1. Amy W. says:

Love the pops of bold patterns too! They really compliment the spaces well.
    <a href="http://www.theblissfulbeeblog.com” target=”_blank”>www.theblissfulbeeblog.com

2. Wendy at WorkSpaces says:

Deep Purple and Mustard Yellow can work together, but the gray is weighing it down. Might be okay for the couch, but the walls need to be lighter. http://www.workspaces.com/

3. Lori says:

Love these colors together.

4. Joyce Samuels says:

The purple and yellow do it for me.

5. a_fan says:

Having lived in the heart of Acadiana, the color pairing always reminds my husband of French Louisiana and his college alma mater. Proudly wearing the purple and gold!

6. klustershop says:

So bold, and yet so serene. Loving plum + mustard here!

7. Laura says:

Im thinking of making this as the color palette for my room! wants your advice for the color of the furniture if its wood?

8. […] sarahhearts, onewed, brandigirlblog, blog.hgtv, […]

9. Nina Johnson says:

Where's the wallpaper from ?

10. Renae says:

OK. I really need help with this. What brand style is the wall paper? Could you post or email me where and how this picture was obtained? I've spent to much time feverishly browsing every sight I can think of to find the products in the pic!!! HELP!!!!! For the love of GOD!