We all have that room in our home, right? The one with furniture that doesn’t go with the rest of the house, no art, and walls badly in need of a fresh coat of paint? If you don’t, I don’t want to hear about it (okay fine, what’s your secret?). This room is kind of my hidden shame, but I’m willing to share it with you. Cue the scary music…

The Nursery Files: The Before

Sheesh, where to start? The Ikea beds that I thought would be minimalist chic but turned out to look more like prison cots? The mountain of outgrown baby clothes in the corner? The dresser and chest that are out of place in my mid-century modern home? The drab white walls with streaks of water damage left over from a bad storm? It’s embarrassing.

First up, I’m giving the trunk and dresser to my mom, where they will fit in with her rustic traditional style and free up much needed space. The beds are headed for Craigslist, along with the too-small rug. Once everything is out, a crisp coat of paint in bright white will go up on the walls and I’ll be ready to tackle my first project: a custom paint treatment on one wall inspired by this one from The Brick House blog.

The Nursery Files: What Stays

What’s staying? I’ll keep the glider, but I’m having the cushions recovered, or I might even try to do it myself. The vintage tile and brass side table will get cleaned up and hold a lamp next to the glider, perfect for bedtime stories. The sassy antique lamp will get a new shade and hopefully fit in with the vintage nautical vibe. And that huge Charley Harper national park print will bring color to one of the walls.

The Nursery Files: Should It Stay or Go?

Two things I’m unsure of: the Eames rocker (currently holding my stash of teeny baby boy clothes), and the curtains that came with the house. The room is small so I’m pretty sure there won’t be space for a second chair, so that may find a new home in Lulu’s room. The curtains will depend on how they look when the work is complete. Their crisp black windowpane check is inoffensive, but may be too busy once everything in in place. What do you think?

WHEW. I have got some major work to do (and let’s face it, so does my husband). Make sure to check back next week to see our progress. And don’t forget to take a look at the mood boards, both high and low, that I created for the design of this space.

Design Inspiration

1. Emily says:

I usually hate curtains that length, but if those end up over your long dresser/changing table, they might end up looking just right. You are wise to take the "wait and see" approach.

2. Ashley Parker says:

Going to look fantastic. I love the things you're keeping…that lamp and national park print are great.

3. Alana says:

Looking forward to seeing final results!

4. Beverly says:

Can't wait to see.

5. 4Grammy says:

You have some great furniture. With the bright colors in the poster and lamp, I think you need to add more color to the curtains. Just a thought.

6. Lisa Hosman says:

I agree with 4Grammy, since you are giving the room a clean coat of white, I think you should bring more color in through the window treatments. Because of the odd shape of the window, maybe you should try something like these kids inspired shades: http://www.selectblinds.com/shop-by-feature/kids-… . But you are right, it will depend on how the curtains go with your new wall treatment.

7. Hello to all, it’s actually a pleasant for me to

go to see this web page, it contains priceless Information.

8. Ulrich says:

I just like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your weblog and take a look at again right here regularly.
    I am relatively certain I will be informed many new
    stuff right here! Best of luck for the following!

9. I know this web page gives quality dependent posts and extra stuff, is there any other web site which gives these things in quality?

10. Bea says:

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months
    of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to prevent
    hackers?