Our online readers are searching for ways to update their homes on a budget. Between the Christmas credit card bill and impending tax deadline, it’s no wonder so many people are interested in thrifty ideas.

This bathroom makeover is a popular pin on Pinterest. The bathroom overhaul only cost about $500, including DIY plumbing, electrical work and painting.

Budget Bathroom Makeover, featured on HGTV Design Happens.

We recently created a Budget Decorating board on HGTV Pinterest. Our pinners love this kitchen island, which was given a facelift using weathered, reclaimed wood for an inexpensive new cottage-style look.

DIY Kitchen Island update using reclaimed wood. See what budget makeover ideas are trending on HGTV Design Happens.

Be sure to follow us as we continue to add our favorite budget tricks and low-cost DIY projects. Tell us how you’re sprucing up your home…or just keep clicking (and pinning).

1. Afy Girgis says:

Hi Sarah. Please do a makeover to my ugly basement! I have two rooms with computers, and lots of wires. We use them as gamerooms but they are very dirty. I'm willing to pay money.
    Thanks!

My home phone number
    732-952-5554

I live in New Jersey.

• marijayne says:

I want to know why don't you pick Hispanic or bulk families who barely are making it so that you can bless them since you do it for free I'm referring to bath crashers or kitchen etc. You pick people who can eventually fix the house as those who are too poor to do anything

• Kical says:

lolol at bulk families…..is that another word for large Costco size families??? I'm teasing you. I know you mean black…

2. Amy W. says:

I am ALL about budget living!! Check out my blog to see how I stay thrifty with my home decor and DIY projects :) :)
    <a href="http://www.theblissfulbeeblog.com” target=”_blank”>www.theblissfulbeeblog.com

3. Sandy says:

Hey Sara, Can you help making our home and finish the basement. I have budget.

4. Dorothy says:

Hi, Sarah — The link to the HGTV Budget Decorating page at Pinterest is off. This is the real link: http://pinterest.com/hgtv/budget-decorating/. Your link goes to a 404 page because your link says: http://pinterest.com/hgtv/budget-decorating-ideas.

5. Brenda says:

Help! I have gold walls and red silk drapes w/slight gold design running through them. We are getting dark wood floors and want to put leather sectional in the room but don't want black (feels too modern) or brown. Do you think an off white sectional would work?
    Thanks your help w/be very much appreciated

6. kerricg225 says:

Hi Sarah- Would you be interested in decorating a studio type bedroom/living room? I am going to be doing an addition to my Mom and Dad's house off the back because I am sick and need to live with them. I have been living on the couch for the past 3 years with my clothes and stuff (not even 1/2 of it) in the spare room. It would be great to have my own space. I suffer from an intestinal disease and am disabled due to it. I may not look sick but my insides do. Not that it is a reason to have you decorate, I just love what you do.!!!!!!! Thank you Kerriann Clark
    6 Paul st
    Port Jefferson Station,NY 11776 631 928-5504

7. Sherryl Mantell says:

Sarah – I have the perfect problem for you to resolve I live in a retirement community with hundreds of white concrete block houses and try as I might I cannot seem to make it fit with my love of character and style. I love your use of fabrics. colors and items to make the new uninteresting look warm and home. I challenge you.
    Sherryl Mantell
    3408 90th Terrace, Pinellas Park, Fl 33782

8. queenrabbit9 says:

With all of the bathroom updating, remodeling and design, why does no one ever address the ugly appearance of our cordless toothbrushes and flossers? There must be a way to keep them easily accessible without looking so ugly and obvious. Ideas anyone?

• Tara says:

You might find what you need at your local lowes or home depot. Check in the kitchen cabinet storage sections. You may want to add a narrow pull out organizer under your vanity. That would be easily accessible and out of sight too. I plan to use these in my bathroom remodel for hair dryers etc.

9. Tara says:

Yuck! My bathroom is in serious need of a complete gutting. We have been putting this off for too long. It is nice to know that we will be able to do this within our budget, which is very limited. You helped take some of the fear out of this nightmare project. Thanks for the great ideas.