Did you know the average family spends $2,300 per year on energy costs? Think about what you could do with that $2,300. (I, personally, would nab that Gus sectional I’ve been coveting for the past 6+ months.) Matt McGovren, brand manager for Nexia Home Intelligence, shares a few tips and tricks for saving energy and making your home a bit greener. Some are easy changes you can start today, and you’ll instantly see lower bills and more money in your pocket. Plus, each small change makes a great impact on the environment, too.

Save Money on Your Energy Bill With These Tips From HGTV's Design Happens Blog

Maintain Your Interior — About half of energy costs are spent heating or cooling your home. Installing a programmable thermostat that’s compatible with a home automation system can help reduce energy use and save money on those bills each month.

Hit the Lights — Use motion sensors to control both interior and exterior lighting. Using sensors to control lighting is perfect for busy families or anyone who can’t remember (or can’t be bothered) to turn off the lights when they’re not needed.

Don’t Be a Vampire — Appliances that are plugged in but not in use still generate electricity. In fact, vampire power is estimated to account for one percent of global C02 emissions — but it’s an easy habit to kick: just unplug. Schedule your products to only be on when needed using products that control lights and small appliances when you’re at home and away.

Stop Running — Most Americans use between 80 and 100 gallons of water a day. This Earth Day, make a pledge to conserve water by taking shorter showers and turning the tap off when you’re scrubbing your dishes.

Set Reminders — Get email or text alerts when it’s time to change your HVAC filter. Having a fresh filter keeps your system running efficiently, saving you money.

Looking for more tips and ideas? Green your home this spring with energy efficiency updates from HGTV.com.

Green

1. It's crazy how much money you can save by following these steps. So much of it is really just management and making sure that you are being diligent. I really love my nice TV and entertainment center and it isn't easy to always be plugging and unplugging everything involved- to solve that problem I ended up getting a really nice green-energy surge protector. I don't have to unplug anything and it makes sure that none of my appliances are drawing energy while they are off!

2. joeanna anthony says:

I am adding few more points to the above post.
    Clean air filters monthly * Program the thermostat , give the air conditioner a break during the work day * Find heat Sources and seal up the house as cooled air can leak through cracks along window and door frames * Change light bulbs swap incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescent *Close the blinds as rooms get hotter without shades or curtains to block the sunlight * Use fans as breeze makes the room feel a few degrees cooler.

• Jonne says:

Great ideas except that I would just add to using fans: if no one is in the room, turn them off as that would be a total loss of energy if the fan is just circulating room air and not exchanging it.

3. thescarletredishrack says:

excellent tips

4. Sheryll says:

In the summer I hang my clothes on the line to dry. I save $35.00 a month by doing this. Most of the time they dry quicker than drying them.

5. Another tip: Turn off your hot water tank when hot water is not needed. I save my dish washing and showers for evening, then about 15 minutes before I need the hot water, I turn on the heater. As soon as I finish my bath, I turn it off. Saves me about $1.00 per day which adds up to $365.00 per year.

6. Austin ~N~ Adri ~N~ Aly says:

Wow, I never knew that keeping your hot water tank on could be costing us that much… I've always hurd if it's to difficult to unplug then it's not necessary to turn off. I am writing down these tips as soon as I post this. Thank you for your tips I will forsure be trying these. We just recently moved into a new home, new to us but it was built in the 50's so the windows have been very drafty, and the entryway is very very cold, due to it's attached to the garage, it's rather strange cuz it has 4 doors well 5 if you count the closet door in this space is rather also, I love it though (it was all if wished for when a were on the hunt for a home). Bottom line is it's cold in there and I don't believe it's insulated, and it gets good sunlight to.

7. Austin ~N~ Adri ~N~ Aly says: