BRIANA: Chevron has long been on my list of trends to tackle, but I’m bringing it up now because I see signs of its reign starting to wane. Could straight stripes and punky polka dots be poised to take the throne once again? Or are you still a loyal subject of the zigzags? Discuss.

Do you like the chevron trend? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

JESSICA: You know the seagulls from Finding Nemo? They were me – only instead of wailing “Mine!” I was screaming “Chevron!” in every single department store. But as time went on, I realized that chevron was just a novelty to me. I didn’t really love chevron – just the idea of it. All those crazy zigzags just aren’t stable enough for me at this time in my life. We’re on a break.

DAVID HAYNES: Just the idea of chevron? Jessica, that is deep. I’m going to have to think on this for a while.

LEANNE: Enough with those harsh zigzags. Make 2013 the Year of Sensuous, Life-Affirming Swirls. Like in this Gustav Klimt.

Do you like chevron, herringbone or prefer these Gustav Klimt swirls? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

JESSICA: It’s been a long, zigzaggy winter, David. I’m ready for Leanne’s Life-Affirming Swirls. Or lattice. I love lattice.

Do you like chevron or prefer another pattern, like lattice? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

MARIANNE: I’m over chevron, but I’ll admit this mod herringbone wall in my nursery has completely stolen my heart. It’s like chevron’s cool older brother:

Do you like chevron or prefer herringbone? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

DEANNE REVEL: Totally agree with Marianne. I’m Team Herringbone. On our last snow day, I herringboned, not chevroned, my deck:

Do you like chevron or do you prefer herringbone? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

KAYLA: Yeah, I’m off the chevron train, too. Now I’m totally entranced by herringbone in unexpected ways, like this dresser updated with a gold paint pen. Plus, it’s a classic pattern that’s here to stay, unlike chevron that’s worn out its welcome. I mean, just look at these wood floors. Throwing in a super cute toddler in a herringbone vest just because it’s Friday.

LIZ: Poor chevron. It used to be the coolest kid in town, but now it’s old news. If herringbone is the cool older brother, this Missoni-inspired variation is the more sophisticated cousin:

Do you like chevron zigzags or do you prefer herringbone? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

While the classic chevron print was pretty much absent from this week’s High Point Market, we saw plenty of this smaller, more varied zigzag on everything from pillows to sofas, and also a few pieces with a more organic, ikat-inspired version of chevron.

DAVID HAYNES: Ikat! Klimt! Now we’re talking.

FARIMA: I love it all – stripes, polka dots, herringbone and even chevron. I agree, it’s old news, but I still get excited when I see an accent piece in this pattern.

You’ve heard us zig and zag about zigzags, now tell us what YOU think:

1. Kam says:

I think we should all fall for toile! Not the stuffy, conservative type, but the bold fuschia-and-orange oversized kind. Or the cheeky, city-specific varieties, like the ones Timorous Beasties creates. The possibilities are endless…

2. javonne says:

I own a Unique children's clothing store In the small historical downtown of Walla Walla Washington and watch HGTV and DIY and all the other networks you guys have. I just would like to ask if you can let me be the first winner in a boutique make over. Please give me information on some contact i could get to a sweepstake for business owners..I think its a great Idea…My shop is need a designer…My husband is deployed overseas with the military and do not have the money or have the help..will send pictures if need to….
    Everyone tells me that my store is the cutest store they ever seen…We have owed it for 5 years and need a designer who wants to make it a winning store..See i have to compete against the other children's store next to me that took my idea and had the money to make there store more designer…..Please someone come to my small historical town and make my store a magazine store..That was name by my 5 grandchildren..Called Little Mud Pies…..Cute huh……

3. Stacy says:

Chevron is a favorite design of mine.

4. CBA says:

I've got a chevron design in 3 different places in my home.

5. Shirley says:

Chevron must stop. I've never liked it nor understood the hoopla around it. Unless its an afghan my grandma made in 1972, it's awful.

6. Maggie G. says:

Never got on the Chevron train. I was more interested in the kitchen hardware. Similar to mine, which came from http://www.lookintheattic. Good quality statement hardware will be around long after the Chevron moves on.

7. @Laladyblog says:

I have liked the look of chevron in moderation but I've never actually purchased anything for my home in this pattern. It's just too… much. I have a pretty modern style and like clean lines, but those bold chevron stripes can really give me a headache. Hopefully this trend and vessel sinks will finally pass.

8. @OldMadeNew says:

Love the chevron in moderation though. I think it looks great as a accent like this pillow on the couch in the picture.

Old Made New

9. Gifty says:

Chevron screams Charlie Brown to me. Never dipped my toe in the Chevron pool. Sorry!

10. B. Hill says:

I am all for the Gustav Klimt prints; something new and fresh. We haven't seen anything like it in design. Bring it on!