Okay everyone, I have a confession to make: until a week ago, we didn’t own a working lawn mower. Thanks to our assortment of spring flowers, we got by for a while on the excuse that our yard was “cottage style.”

But then a storm came through in the middle of the night. We woke up to a yard full of scattered tree branches and flower petals. On top of that, it seemed like the rain caused the grass (and weeds) to shoot up two feet! With visions of Cinco de Mayo festivities dancing in our heads, we knew it was time to clean outside of the house. With help from a dear friend, we are now proud owners of a fully-functional lawn mower and a tidy lawn.

If you’re like us and have been neglecting your yard, now is the perfect time to give it a makeover just in time for summer – barbecue season, anyone?

Start with the gutters. The rule of cleaning from top to bottom still applies outdoors. Cleaning the gutters will remove any debris that built up over winter.

Give your house a bath. Cleaning the siding will make your home look new again. Clean vinyl siding with a pressure washer – use it on low-pressure to avoid damaging your siding. You can rent a pressure washer from department stores if you don’t have one of your own. For wood siding, use a soft bristled brush with a long handle and warm soapy water to scrub away stains.

Wash the windows. Your window-washing efforts indoors will go to waste if there are spots outdoors. Get outside and make those windows really shine with a hot water-vinegar solution and a soft cloth.

All hands on deck! Like your siding, your wooden deck could probably use some TLC. Utilize a pressure washer with a 25-degree nozzle to gently spray away stains, or mix one part bleach to four parts water and remove stains with a stiff broom. Warning: your wooden deck can get slippery; make sure to wear nonslip shoes.

Spring clean your garden. This means getting rid of those pesky weeds, tilling and getting that vegetable garden ready. Cleaning the outside of the house is also a good time to start a compost bin.

Goodbye April showers, hello outdoor party season! How do you keep the outside of your home neat and clean?

1. House Cleaning says:

Some of the great skills shared which can be extremely helpful when it comes down to cleaning a home. If you looking forward for availing home cleaning services visit http://www.naked-clean.com/ to find some of the best maid services available in town.

2. Great site. A lot of valuable facts here. I'm just delivering them to several good friends ans in addition sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks for your energy!

3. [...] time for another Tuesday confession from your resident Home Survival Skills blogger: I can’t grow [...]

4. Peter says:

Sound like very effective tips to make clean of house outdoor space with a nice a way on the time of Spring. I really like in such way to clean my house outdoor space and must follow in this coming spring. Thanks
    Chicago carpet cleaners

5. 4 Gutter Cleaning says:

Hello,
    Nice post. The tips are very useful to clean the gutter. Thanks for this useful post..

6. Christopher Reich says:

The cleaners have cleaning tools and equipment that can best clean your offices. Such tools might be too expensive for you to purchase on your own. Services that are offered by cleaning franchises include, carpet cleaning, post construction clean ups and also pressure washing. building cleaning services NJ

7. Mark J says:

The commercial cleaning is slightly different from residential cleaning, and the prices that the commercial cleaning service will charge you will depend on the work you need done, the frequency you need it done, and the size of the property. building cleaning services NJ

8. Wash Rack says:

Fabulous particular. I conscientious love this post because it sanction so liberal fascinating information. Now, I mental margin this with my Friends. Hope they will equal.

9. Seaberg52 says:

I powerwashed my walkway (concrete) and all the stains and mildew are gone. Almost looks like we poured a new concrete walkway. Made a HUGE difference.

10. Thomas says:

That sets me to work right now. I guess I had been procrastinating the work of cleaning, but the spring is on its way and I really need to gear up. Too confused where to begin! But I guess after the reading the post, a bit relieved and all set to plan out the cleaning process. I have to do the gevelreiniging (facade cleaning) of my home at Antwerpen as well. I wished I had a helping hand to take it ahead.