The weather isn’t the only thing warming up this month: Our color team meeting got a little heated when we struggled to decide between our top two contenders for May. Votes were split between Lili’s orange-red poppy and Camille’s soothing whisper gray. After all, don’t they look amazing together?

Sarah Richardson - Color of the Month

Design by Sarah Richardson

You can (and should!) combine these colors, but we had to chose just one. Read on to find out our decision.

It’s Whisper Gray! This soft, silvery gray is the perfect hue to help us ease into warmer weather. “Whisper gray is the perfect foil to more saturated shades, like Lili’s poppy red  or previous color of the month winners raspberry and carrot,” Camille says.  Check out the whisper gray chair in this carrot-infused nursery by Brian Patrick Flynn:

Nursery and Guest Bedroom in One by Brian Patrick Flynn

Design by Brian Patrick Flynn

This color might seem too quiet to be used all on its own, but it can be a serene showstopper in the bathroom, bedroom or even a nursery. It steals the show in this luxe master bathroom designed by Sarah Richardson

Whisper Gray Bathroom Designed By Sarah Richardson

Design by Sarah Richardson

…and this birch bark-papered guest bedroom created by Brian Patrick Flynn.

Whisper Gray Bedroom Wall - Metallic Bedroom Design by Brian Patrick Flynn

Design by Brian Patrick Flynn

Whisper gray can add interest to more utilitarian spaces, too. Try it in place of white on some or all of your kitchen cabinets. It works equally well in modern and more traditional spaces. And you’ll be right on trend: Kitchen and bath  insiders at last week’s KBIS show told our editors that gray is shaping up to be the next big cabinet color.

Whisper Gray Kitchen Cabinets by Sarah Richardson

Design by Sarah Richardson

For all you brides-to-be (and someday-wedding planners), keep whisper gray in mind for a modern wedding color palette.  It looks so chic on this cake paired with yellow and on-trend menswear prints, no?

Yellow and Gray Menswear-Inspired Wedding Cake - HGTV's Design Happens

Via Burnett’s Boards

So, what do you think? Will you use whisper gray in May? The color might be quiet, but you don’t have to be!

1. Sheila says:

I am a Sarah Richardson fan. I love her designs. I love how she shops flea markets and used furniture stores for bargains and turns these finds into beautiful pieces of furniture. She creates beautiful rooms and homes on a budget and that is what I like about her. She knows that we all are not born with silver spoons in our mouths and she shows us how we can have a beautiful home for not a lot of money. Keep the shows coming. I love them.

2. Sheila says:

I have used gray as a base color before anyone else ever thought of using it. People would come to my house and see my gray walls and ask when I was going to paint over the primer. I would tell them that was the wall color and it was called dove grey. I had grey carpet and my furniture was a print in gemstone colors of emerald, garnet, sapphire. It was beautiful. I was just ahead of my time.

3. Joanne says:

I also love to watch Sarah Richardson. I like the way she explains how she chooses whatever fabrics, colors or furniture will work for her clients and their budgets. I've learned a lot from her. Sometimes I can't imagine some of the combinations she chooses, but they always look amazing when the room is complete.

4. Laura Fettinger says:

OkI love the color whisper gray, but where do you find it. I looked at Sherwin Williams and they don't have it. Anybody find it? or can HGTV tell us what brand of paints and color names they used?
    thankYou

5. [...] for my grass, I’m ready for the nice weather. But it seems that the weather goes perfect with HGTV’s pick for this month’s color – WHISPER GRAY. The weather must be affecting them too [...]

6. joeanna anthony says:

I just loved all the rooms, they look so very elegant. Thou I like the color grey , I was skeptical of using it on the walls, but the look on these pictures has given me confidence to try them out. Thanks for sharing them.

For information on fencing, please check out
    http://californiafenceco.com/vinyl.html http://californiafenceco.com/wood.html http://californiafenceco.com/metal.html http://californiafenceco.com/chain.html

7. Angel says:

I'd also like to know where to find Whisper Gray. Google'd it, but found more than one company.

8. dianna says:

Love the color Whisper Gray, who makes it??

9. Laura says:

Love the color, I used a "Smoke Gray" back in the late 70's in my dining room. Everyone thought I was nuts when I announced the color I was planning to use, until they saw it and loved it. Very cozy feel and so many decorating color options that go with it. Getting ready to paint in the spring and I think I'll use it again. I'll check out several brands and go with the shade of gray that hits me. :)