BRIANA: If you’ve been holding your breath wondering when we were going to get around to Mason jars, stop waiting to exhale. Crafters and design bloggers have turned these practical vessels for food preservation into: vases, chandeliers, planters, cocktail glasses, candy jars, lanterns and the ingenious organizer shown here, amongst other things. But it’s that very versatility that puts the Mason jar in danger of Pinterest over-saturation, no? What are your thoughts on Mason jars and Mason jar crafts? Are they playful or played out?

Have you moved on from mason jars? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

Photo: Lincoln Barbour

KELLEY: Considering I have the world’s largest Mason jar on my desk right now (sadly not filled with moonshine, but iced green tea), I’m going to have say I haven’t moved away from the trend. In fact, I’m smack in the middle of it. Though in the South, it was a trend that never went away – the rest of y’all are just catching up. [wink]

Are mason jars playful or played out? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

JESSICA: Mason jars are the perfect cup! Personally I think all cups I drink out of should have optional screw-on lids. This is mostly because I am clumsy and am embarrassed to admit how many times I have spilled an open drink into my purse.

I also just ordered this the other day:

Are mason jars playful or played out? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

Photo: Patricia Pericone/ThePineNuts on Etsy

I’m hooked.

KELLEY: See? Southern gals stick together.

::high fives Jess::

P.S. I use them because they have a lid, too. Also, the giant ones are GIANT and you only have to refill a couple of times a day. <– lazy

ALYSSA: My relationship with Mason jars is still going strong. What’s not to love about a jar that could hold my grandmother’s canned tomatoes fresh from her garden (mmm, Sunday Italian dinner!) and also make a gorgeous ombre display like this?

Do you think mason jars playful or played out? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

Photo: Linda Braden/Drop Cloth Design Co on Etsy

KAYLA: OMG, new favorite picture.

CAMILLE: I’m still a fan, especially of the older blue ones. (Antiquing tip: Flip the jars over and check the number on the bottom – 13 is the rarest and most valuable.)

Are mason jars playful or played out? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

I have a few in various sizes; they’re my go-to vase for large flowers, like hydrangeas, flowering branches or fresh-cut greenery.

Are mason jars playful or played out? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

FARIMA: I’m still a huge fan, and I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it!

ALLIE: I still love the trend. I think I must own at least 30 Mason jars – I have some in every room of my apartment! They’re practical, versatile and adorable.

LILI: I thought I was totally over them until I saw Grant’s metallic Mason jar post and this amazing installation by Emily Henderson:

Do you think mason jar crafts are playful or played out? Vote now on HGTV's Design Blog!

It’s gorgeous and even matches our tropical-waters-themed Color of the Month. I do not envy whomever has to dust those, though.

LIZ: I am all about Mason jars, but it’s the utility I love: I’m too busy filling them with stuff to use them for decorating purposes. Freezing soups, canning tomatoes, storing bulk grains, organizing spare change and rolls of washi tape – the possibilities are literally endless. I love Emily, but that installation just looks like a waste of good Mason jars to me.

We’ve jabbered on about mason jars, now tell us what YOU think!

1. Cindy says:

I don't think Mason jars will ever go away, and I hope they don't. I love them.

2. Marcia says:

I have even decoupaged some of my jars with pretty napkins/materials and used them for different things. Also my daughter-in-law used them as centerpieces for her wedding reception with daffodils and babies breath in them. In my opinion, they will never become anything BUT playful!!!!

3. CplusE says:

I've always used them for pantry storage, but never really considered them a design trend until I saw the new Heritage Collection blue Mason jars from Ball:

I just bought a set, and I would decorate with these!

• Briana@HGTV says:

Oh, those look like the ones Camille mentioned. That blue is so pretty.

• Deb Mathenia says:

I have used them for all kinds of storage. It is a great way to store, without labeling. I do appreciate decor with them, another way to keep canning alive. 'Must admit that some of the best jam was from jars in my Grandmother's basement…and some of the best soups were frozen in jars.

4. Linda says:

Clearly I love mason jars! I paint them and distress them and store things in them! Thanks so much for sharing my ombre jars and link!
    :) Linda <a href="http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com” target=”_blank”>www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

5. jessicaykr says:

Just as a side note, I'm all for gravy-boat everything.

6. Deb Mathenia says:

LOL — Most women like Mason Jars, I think. I recycle most jars in any shape, and have for years. I have noticed that the price has gone up considerably, since we have been using them for crafts. I am not sure if gravy-boats are the answer, jars have an unique versatility. Some are using cans — they rust. Maybe Tupperware, or zip-lock sacks?!

7. Jean says:

What's not to like? I love my Mason jars! Not only do I use them for canning, dry storage, but decorating as well. Even use to hold my crochet and knitting needles. On my desk they hold pens, pencils, scissors, etc. The uses just keep going on forever…

8. Cathy Spiller says:

I can in them, store rice and pasta in them, keep buttons in them…I can't imagine a time when I would have to find something to replace them with!

9. Barb says:

Mason jars are great. I like that there are different sizes and there are even decorative small one for giving things like jelly and jam as gifts. They are so useful. I store my Hummingbird Nectar in them that way my husband doesn't confuse it with bottled water. Love them!

10. HollowSquirrel says:

When mason jars appear in the "Keep Calm and …" print, then they both need to be put away for a few years.