Here in the South, cobblers are a summer staple — and according to Yahoo! searches this month, folks all over are on a cobbler hunt.* With peaches in season (and peach as HGTV’s color of the month), there has never been a better time to try your hand at peach cobbler.

My family easily tries two or three new cobbler recipes every summer, but this recipe has stood the test of time. It only requires a few ingredients, and it’s simple enough for any baking novice to succeed. (Can you see why it’s my favorite?) So, pick up some peaches and give this recipe a try!

Peach Cobbler

Southern Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:
7 peaches
1/2 cup butter
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Peel peaches, and cut them similar to how you would cut an apple — but a bit smaller. Melt butter in the oven in a 2-quart baking dish at 400 degrees F.

Mix flour, sugar and milk in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the melted butter. Add peaches.

Bake for 30 minutes or until brown (at 400 degrees F). Don’t forget to serve your cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect melty combination.

For a detailed picture tutorial, visit Adventures of a Middle Sister.

*Trending topic courtesy of Yahoo! Web Trend Expert Carolyn Clark

1. Buster says:

Same recipe my mom taught me over 30 years ago, I taught it to my wife and friends, always a winner and so simple anyone can do it.

2. Susan says:

My grandmother taught me how to make this when I was a teenager. Love it! And you can substitute other fruits (about 2 cups – I like blackberries) with this recipe. And so easy in Florida. Not so much now that I live in Colorado. Anyone have any recommendations for adjusting in high altitudes? I live in Denver.

3. Susan says:

• Nancy says:

I live in CO @ about 8900'! I am still learning about the baking, after TX & also lived in Miami years ago. I think you can increase the flour 1 tbsp., or bake a bit hotter. My first brownies were about 3/4 " high! Pie dough does fine, have not baked cookies yet. It is different here, love it.

• Lizzie says:

The following is from the King Arthur Flour website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/high-altitu
      King Arthur has a good chart showing how to adjust ingredients and temperatures for high altitude baking. Hope this helps. I LOVE COLORADO!!!!

"Because high altitude is a complex subject, we recommend a set of publications that cover all aspects of baking at 3,500 feet and up, from the Colorado State University Extension Resource Center. For questions, call toll free at 877.692.9358, refer, to their website"

4. Carl says:

This looks absolutely scrumptious….I have been making pomegranate cobbler for years, and I've never thought of using peaches! Genius…with a quick recipe as well. Carl out!

5. Carl says:

6. Thanks, Allie! I am making this tomorrow. We just picked up a bag of amazing peaches. Our famous Colorado peaches aren't quite in the stores yet, so I'm making do with some from another state. Can't wait for cobbler!

7. Beverly Miller says:

I make this cobbler during the summer and my grandkids love it

8. Tammy says:

same recipe my mom used….. except we called it "roll" and usually used blackberries but we got peach too.

9. Patricia says:

I don't have self-rising flour, just all purpose flour. Can I add, maybe, baking powder to a/p flour? If so, how much? I have fresh peaches from our local farmer's market that I'd like to use. Thanks for any help.

10. Patricia says: