Hillside landscaping is one of the hardest jobs around. Many of you have probably just given up on the idea of ever having a beautiful and useful landscape, but take heart! We’re going to work through this together, and hopefully, hillside landscaping woes will be a thing of the past.

hgtv

Hillside Landscaping

Always consider your particular landscape. Is it safe to mow? Are there any existing elements, such as boulders or trees, you will need to work around? Do you experience flooding? Will you need to hire a professional? By taking your time in the planning process, you’re more likely to be happy with the result.

hill

Verdi Landscaping

Be sure to add a pathway or stairs. If you have room to add a courtyard or patio at the bottom of your hill, a walkway will be most beneficial for guests. Plus, a usable path will be a valuable investment as it will allow you to better care for and maintain your plants.

By Jamie Durie

And speaking of plants, it’s a good idea to choose perennials. Hillside landscaping is a tough business, and you don’t want to have to re-landscape too often. Also, be careful to pick plants that will work with your soil and the amount of sun your hill receives.

hillside

Upcott’s Landscaping & Design, Inc.

1. Mary Miller says:

We have a fairly steep slope to a drainage ditch that totally floods during heavy storms (we live in Fl). Large oak trees preclude growing grass due to the shade – looking for a ground cover/material to use on the slope. Being eco friendly is a must. Have done some research re: pine needles. Backyard is in the same state – lots of shade and oak tree roots. My husband is in a wheelchair and it's treachorous for him to even go out there! Any suggestions?

2. Brian says:

We've been using our local Clarks Summit Lawncare service, Grasshopper Lawns! So far they've been excellent, and it saves me so much time not having to do it myself.

3. Lauren says:

I am in the process of trying to terrace the bank behind my backyard. Nothing has been done with this land in a very, very long time. I was told when I bought the house that it had drainage issues since the hill slopes towards the house, so I hope that by creating a few levels, it will help with this problem. We have terraced two levels so far (with a tiller!) which is enough to plant our new fruit trees but there is still so much that is unused. Trying to get up the hill to do anything is a challenge. Now that the trees are in, we'll start working on building the chicken coop at the bottom for our new chicks then our garden next month. There is still so much to do, I don't see an end in sight! I sure wish I could afford to hire someone to do this so that I can have my weekends back!

4. Rose says:

I Would love to redo my back yard because it is looks like a trailer park!!‼

5. Doreen A Bullard says:

Not only is it difficult to grow anything on our steep hill, under the eucalyptus trees, but whatever grows, the deer eat….totally exhausting !!!! HELP

6. Andrea Blohm says:

We have a steep hill behind our house with a creek at the bottom, lots of trees on it but still afraid of erosion going on,cannot afford a lot of money on it.

7. George Frank says:

Hillside landscaping is the most challenging of all residential design problems. Whether it is a natural undisturbed slope or one composed of cut-and-fill, there are five essentials that every homeowner should be aware of. Not all designers will be skilled in this special situation, so you must know your options before decisions are made that can not only be extraordinarily expensive to implement, they can have far reaching impact on the stability of your entire homesite.

8. Jason says:

Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting.I think your suggestion would be helpful for us. I will let you know if its work for me too.