Have you ever found yourself with a collection of clothing or knickknacks that you can’t throw away but have absolutely no use for? For me, that collection (one of many, actually) is a colorful assortment of men’s ties given to me by my grandfather. I couldn’t stand to see them go, but since you can only dress up as Avril Lavigne (circa 2002) for so many Halloweens, I was desperate to find a new use for them. Thanks to a brilliant reader suggestion, I began searching for new ways to use old ties. And man, did I find some goodies!

tie wreath

Most of my finds dealt with repurposing ties for jewelry or other accessories, but this imaginative tie wreath from Good Housekeeping would be the perfect craft for anyone (and any season!).

tie clutch

This useful tie clutch would be an ideal project for someone with a few extra ties and some skill with the sewing machine. What a great way to add a masculine print to a feminine look!

tie necklace

Not straying too far from the original tie intent, this cool tie necklace lends a girly spin to traditional menswear. Check out Wanderland Vintage for the full tutorial.

tie brooch

Described by Ruby Murray of Ruby Murrays Musings as, “the ultimate revenge craft,” this stunning men’s tie rose brooch would also be the ultimate statement piece. It looks like a million bucks and would add a touch of sophistication to any outfit. (Now, where is my glue gun?)

tie bracelets

Lastly, these cute tie bracelets would be a super fun weekend craft. Just grab some scissors and a few empty yogurt containers (yes, yogurt!), and get to work. Visit Linda Eve for the full tutorial.

Which men’s tie project did you love the most? And do you have suggestions for other interesting craft materials? Leave them in the comments below!

1. Lena S. says:

These are all wonderful ideas and uses for ties.

2. Ruby Murray says:

Thanks so much for featuring my Mens Tie brooch, loving these ideas.

3. LindaEve says:

Thanks for featuring my wrist cuff project. The wreath is fantastic!

4. Betty A. says:

I'm drawn to the tie necklace. Love all the examples.

5. Gina says:

These ideas are Absolutely Awesome
    I Love them all! Classic Chic and Cool
    BETTER than being 'pinned'…is to wear your Guy's tie…sexy sweet…And a wreath that says dignified Gentleman..Thank you So much

6. Amy says:

Thanks so much for featuring the necktie necklace. The true credit goes to my beautiful cousin Shelley over at Westermanfam.blogspot.com She is the one who made it! We just happened to do a blogswap and that was her feature.

7. Shirley Williams says:

I have a friend, a widow, who made beautiful throw pillows for herself and each of her children from her late husband's old ties. I would now like to do the same, but my friend has beginning dementia and doesn't remember how to do them. I have been unable to find directions on line. Do you have any?

8. Kim says:

A lap robe would be a great addition to this collection of creative and useful ideas.

9. martha l. says:

i made a maxi skirt out of them (back in the mid 70's). narrow end at the waist & wider part at te hem. wish i knew where it is.

10. Laketaxlady says:

I recall making skirts out of ties, also. Had a custom sewing "hippie shop" back in the 60's & early 70's. They were all the rage, we haunted thrift shops for the most colorful ones…these are all great ideas, hard to decide if I prefer the clutch or the bracelets.