Have you ever found yourself with a collection of clothing or knickknacks that you can’t throw away but have absolutely no use for? For me, that collection (one of many, actually) is a colorful assortment of men’s ties given to me by my grandfather. I couldn’t stand to see them go, but since you can only dress up as Avril Lavigne (circa 2002) for so many Halloweens, I was desperate to find a new use for them. Thanks to a brilliant reader suggestion, I began searching for new ways to use old ties. And man, did I find some goodies!

tie wreath

Most of my finds dealt with repurposing ties for jewelry or other accessories, but this imaginative tie wreath from Good Housekeeping would be the perfect craft for anyone (and any season!).

tie clutch

This useful tie clutch would be an ideal project for someone with a few extra ties and some skill with the sewing machine. What a great way to add a masculine print to a feminine look!

tie necklace

Not straying too far from the original tie intent, this cool tie necklace lends a girly spin to traditional menswear. Check out Wanderland Vintage for the full tutorial.

tie brooch

Described by Ruby Murray of Ruby Murrays Musings as, “the ultimate revenge craft,” this stunning men’s tie rose brooch would also be the ultimate statement piece. It looks like a million bucks and would add a touch of sophistication to any outfit. (Now, where is my glue gun?)

tie bracelets

Lastly, these cute tie bracelets would be a super fun weekend craft. Just grab some scissors and a few empty yogurt containers (yes, yogurt!), and get to work. Visit Linda Eve for the full tutorial.

Which men’s tie project did you love the most? And do you have suggestions for other interesting craft materials? Leave them in the comments below!

1. Laketaxlady says:

I recall making skirts out of ties, also. Had a custom sewing "hippie shop" back in the 60's & early 70's. They were all the rage, we haunted thrift shops for the most colorful ones…these are all great ideas, hard to decide if I prefer the clutch or the bracelets.

2. Jeanette W says:

I remember a long skirt made of opened silk ties years ago, that I believe was in McCall's Needlework Magazine. It was beautiful and had a pleated look. I also remember lovely strip-patchwork-type decorator pillows made of silk ties.

3. Jeanette W says:

Oh! I just remembered…there was also a neat women's lined vest made of silk ties!

4. Cari says:

What a memory…I made a tie skirt many years ago too. I remember opening the back seam, removing the lining, placing 'backs' of 2 ties together (narrow point of tie towards waist and wider point towards floor) and sewing seam so that edges left verticle 'ridge' to front of skirt, then repeat with next tie, and continue until skirt is appropriate size. For waist, fold top to the inside, sew seam leaving an opening to 'thread' a rope style 'belt' that can be tied in bow. At the time, I was surprised at how heavy and warm the skirt was.

5. Maa says:

Brilliant ideas! Love them all..

6. joeanna anthony says:

I've made my eyeglass Case, cushion cover ,cellphone and ipod case with old ties.

7. Brian says:

Pretty creative way to re-use the ties.. I have a ton of extra ones that are just lying around the house. I have a men's fashion blog http://nextluxury.com so I'm always buying ties faster than I can wear them, ha! Seems like now some of the older ones will finally be getting some good use.

8. Moda31 says:

what a cool design of these neckties as well. I can't wait to try it now. Just an awesome color of it. Love this. Thanks for this allocation!!
    compra ropa de hombre online