We virtually introduced you to HGTV.com and Design* Sponge contributor Amanda Brown last week. As part of a tour for her book, Spruce: A Step-By-Step Guide to Upholstery and Design, she and her team stopped by the HGTV offices to hold an upholstery workshop for us. That’s right, we actually made the benches pictured below with our own bare hands.

HGTV Editors' Upholstered Benches

I had an overwhelming feeling of “Can I actually do this and use power tools without hurting myself?” when I first walked into the workshop area. But let me tell you, I was ready for more when I was done with my bench. If you think there’s no way you’d even attempt an upholstery project, keep reading. Amanda’s expertise and step-by-step guide couldn’t have made it any easier.

We started with the bench’s wood base and some basic upholstery tools – scissors, spray adhesive, upholstery foam, upholstery batting, upholstery needles and thread, fun fabrics, staples and a pneumatic stapler (Hannah’s new best friend).

Pneumatic Stapler

Our first step was attaching the upholstery foam to the wood base with spray adhesive. Then, we wrapped the bench with upholstery batting and attached it using the pneumatic stapler and staples.

Attaching Upholstery Foam

Now, it was time to attach the fabric. The hardest part of this was smoothing it out and folding the corners perfectly. Once we did that, all we had to do was attach it with staples.

Attaching Fabric

Amanda and her team brought their handy button maker so we could tuft our benches with fabric buttons. We attached the buttons to the bench by threading them through pre-drilled holes in the bench using upholstery needle and thread. To finish, we attached the dust cover to the bottom of the bench with staples and screwed the legs on.

SEE ALSO: Upholstery 101: A Beginner’s Look at the Trade

Attaching Buttons

Ta-Da!

Editors With Finished Benches

Are you ready to tackle your own upholstery project? Meet up with Amanda and the Spruce team in person on their cross-country book-signing tour, or attend a workshop and learn to make your own bench or lampshade. See the full schedule here.

Spruce: A Step-by-Step Guide to Upholstery And Design, is available now.

Designers & Shops, DIY

1. Allie Holcomb says:

I love these. You guys did such a good job — they look great!

2. Abbi McCollum says:

Love these pics and SO jealous of your benches! I think I have a new project on my holiday to-do list now!

3. RSS says:

The benches look great!!

4. robertmatheka says:

Oh my God!!! the benches look great.They have put in loads of effort but look at the result. Thank you for the step by step work done on the project. I am going to give it a try.

5. Clarisa Ramirez says:

Thank you for posting these great photos! The Sprucettes had a WONDERFUL time at HGTV's HQ. It was a lot of fun! Be sure to pick up a copy of Spruce, and let us know what you think by writing a review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Spruce-Step-Step-Upholstery
    Clarisa Ramirez
    Marketing + PR
    Spruce

6. hcwcekde says:

had this hcwcekde for three days and by now the button has broke!!!!! call hcwcekde and there is a 5 WEEK wait for a new button and also you have to sew it on yourself! ummm I don’t believe so!!!!!!!

7. Jason Reed / APSecretary of State John Kerry offers cupcakes to members of the traveling press between Washington and the Middle East, Saturday.

8. archive.org says:

We’ve just crafted a a software application that can effectively scrape applicable contents of a subject matter (and the topic
    your blog is aimed at) from the search engines to put together major 100% copyscrape-passed data.
    Are you presently keen to look at it?