The weather may be less than ideal for outdoor gardening in much of the country right now, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t any fun to be had until spring. If your green thumb is getting itchy, why not channel that energy into some totally cool crafts made with old gardening tools and accessories? Here are some inspired ideas I spotted (with some help from MacGyver veteran, Briana)…

garden watering can planters

Dented or leaky watering cans can become the perfect vessels for the plants they used to water! Take a look at Nancy Ondra’s other ideas for stunning, low-budget container gardens here.

garden wheelbarrow planter

Dig the idea of the watering can planter but have more backyard space to fill? A rusty old wheelbarrow is another cute (and cheap!) way to put your gardening tools back in the garden.

garden pot table

Who knew that upside-down flower pots topped with some wood could double as a chic table? Head to our sister site, DIYNetwork.com, for Sloane Snyder’s other genius ideas for creating upcycled tables, desks and workstations.

Garden hose wreath

Photo: Jill Fritz of Create.Craft.Love

Okay, so it may not be spring yet, but you can pretend like it is with this vibrant hose wreath from Create.Craft.Love. The striped garden gloves are a nice touch, no?

Garden rake supply hanger

Photo: Natalie of Natalme

Transform a used or antique rake from a trusty tool into a rustic rack for your other supplies with minimal effort. Head over to Natalme to learn more (and see all the charming photos).

rake jewelry holder

Take the rake rack concept indoors with this idea from Kevi Zupancic of Twig Home. Finally, no more tangled baubles buried in a jewelry box! Check out the jewelry rack and 24 more ways to reuse your old stuff here.

Like these tool transformations? Check out some more of our favorites from around the web:
Stunning Shovel Lamp
Handy Garden Hose Basket
Unbelievable Garden Hose “Rug”
Rustic Rake Wine Glass Holder

Which gardening craft had you ready to raid the tool shed? And do you have any other clever upcycling ideas? Tell us in the comments!

1. Yolanda says:

Love the hose wreath! This is a definate project for the spring. Great recycling ideas and boy I can't wait for those garage sales to make some of these!

2. ben rocksalt says:

Great ideas. I have some old fire buckets in red that look amazing with daisies in.

3. […] Designer MacGyver: 6 DIY Garden Tool … – Design Happens http://blog.hgtv.com/design/Don't throw away your old garden tools…DIY with them! Check out these crafty DIYs featuring old garden tools on HGTV's Design Happens blog! […]

4. Vicky says:

I'm seeing a hose wrapped with twine and small watering cans, pails & or kid shovels and forks etc. on it. Plants in the cans & pails optional.

5. LOL says:

OMG! Really? A water hose with tackey fake silk flowers . Is this a joke?

6. Cyndi says:

I once gave a Mother's DAY GIFT TO MY mom of an old wooden shoe shine box filled with small pots of herbs. She LOVED it! The same year, I did the same out of an old brightly painted tool box for my Mom-inlaw!!!

7. Kitti Jo says:

I love the waterpots filled with plants! I'm going to make the table with the wood and pots.

8. Ernies says:

Great Article

9. Ernies Tools says:

Awesome post! love your work.

10. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both
    equally educative and interesting, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
    The issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I found this during my hunt for something concerning this.