BRIANA: It’s 2014, which means we’ve got a whole new class of trends to defend…or not. One look that stood out on House Beautiful’s 2014 design trends list was mixed metallics. Our own Brian Patrick Flynn played with different shades of gold in a recent office makeover. So, what do you think? Have you taken a shine to mixing silver and gold or do you think metals should stay solo?

Do you like the mixed metallics trend? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

MARIANNE: I am all for it. I don’t decorate with silver or chrome much but I love to mix warm metallics like gold, copper, and brass. I mean, get a load of this glamourkitchen from designer Jean Louis Deniot. Hubba hubba:

Do you like the mixed metallics look? Vote now on HGTV's Design Happens blog!

CAMILLE: Metallics are neutrals, so it’s always okay to mix them.

HANNAH SLAUGHTER: I like mixing metals but tend to stick to small groups of accessories. If you’re going to do it in a whole room, you better have the money to a) pay to do it with the top notch stuff and b) change it – metallics look dated so quickly.

GRANT: I can’t mix metals. A while back, I was looking around my house when something horrifying came into focus — all the hardware was different! Kitchen knobs were silver, chandelier was gold — doorknobs to outside were nickel, while interior door hardware was brassy gold. How I missed this for so long is beyond me. But once the issue was on my radar, I couldn’t get that mess corrected fast enough. From doorknobs to door hinges to ceiling fan pulls to cabinetry hardware, everything is now nickel — and I am at peace.

ALYSSA: I’ve mixed metals with my jewelry, so I say it translates just as well to home design.

KAYLA: Same here, Alyssa. And considering my home is one big room, it’s impossible for me to not mix metals. So I’m hoping I get a resounding “do it!” from the team.

NANCY FIRE, Design Director of HGTV HOME: I’m all about the mix. It works in our HGTV HOME Heavy Metal trend story and [we're] getting great feedback from on-air response. Also, anything that BPF does looks fab!!!

KERI: Metallics are my jam. I love any and all of them. I love the industrial look, and I feel like you can’t achieve that without mixing your metals. It’s fun and a lot less stuffy than an all gold or silver space.

ALYSSA: Kayla — I feel like Keri’s answer is actually what you wanted to hear. (re: industrial)

FARIMA: I’m all about gold, but I love mixing too. You really can’t go wrong with shiny!

NANCY FIRE, Design Director of HGTV HOME: I am at Heimtextil in Germany and they are all over industrial mixes with metallic. It looks hip and NOT tacky at all…updated and very cool!!

We haven’t minced words about mixed metals, now tell us what YOU think:

1. samc says:

We had our 1500 sq ft home built 1 1/2 yrs ago. We wanted an old cottage look and feel, like it was around for the past 50 yrs. To take away the brand new house look we used vintage RIM locks with different vintage knobs on all of the doors. There are black, silver, antique and shiny brass hinges and hardware. It looks wonderful! We have that old house, vintage feel and love it.

2. chris r says:

While considering a new design for my bedroom, I was thinking of mixing gold and silver with some accents I have on hand already. Now I am convinced it will look alright and downright current and trendy.

3. Don Gilmartin says:

Major props for allowing us to praise the use of metal! No matter if its contemporary or traditional, I use metal in many ways and ALWAYS mix it up. These I use days allot of brushed nickle and chrome well beyond hardware and fixtures. I always tie the look together with metallic chrome-like glass pieces. When I can, painted metal art and even reflective metallic pillows and throws to bring it all home.

4. Cyn says:

My home is very eclectic and each room has it's own personality. I have never thought about limiting it to only one metal. Mixed metals are perfect as each space speaks for itself and needs that perfect touch.

5. lindab5425 says:

in my eyes too brassy to much metal

6. Jodi says:

Very nice!

7. Peggy says:

I've been seeing a lot of mirror type decor lately. I spotted this mirrored jewelry box in a dept store and I can't stop thinking about it. I think it will look nice with my silver and gold lamps! I think you can do whatever if the items mesh well…I just tried the lamp shades and at first was worried they didn't match but my granddaughter thought it looked great, then friends thought it looked great, so I've decided to just trust my instinct and go with it…everyone should :)

8. Lillian says:

Too shiny!

9. lynne says:

it would be great if you could actully get on the other site to enter ( front door cant get on site)!!!????

10. Judy says:

too brassy for me…
    if metals are in the same color family; warm or cool, I say mix that brass with copper. Or….pewter and chrome, oh yes. But, don't put any gold tone with my stainless steel or I'll feel like I'm in a circus.