Featured

Another month, another epic color battle for the HGTV.com Color Team. Two colors — cheerful Pink Grapefruit and demure Camelhair — were so close that we literally couldn’t choose. So we threw it to HGTV.com Guest Editor Nancy Fire to make the final call. Here’s her verdict:

“This was a very hard decision, because I love using grapefruit with neutrals so in essence BOTH colors should win, hence your tie,” Nancy says. “But if one color has to win my vote, it’s grapefruit. I really love color, and grapefruit always looks fresh and updated.

Introducing Pink Grapefruit, our February 2014 Color of the Month! Let’s toast to our newest color with this Spicy Grapefruit Margarita, found over on The Life Styled. (Psst…It’s the perfect way to spice up your Valentine’s Day festivities.)

Grapefruit Margarita - The Life Styled

Via The Life Styled Blog

We love how this color bridges the gap between winter and spring. “I like that it’s a winter fruit, but the color feels fresh and springy,” says special projects editor Marianne, who pitched the winning hue. Even a small, er, squeeze of the color makes a huge visual impact. Here, designer Liz Carroll added grapefruit stripes on the ceiling to give this bedroom a playful touch:

Eclectic Grapefruit Bedroom

Design by Liz Carroll

Fabric is another great way to add color as we ease into spring “I started working with softer colors for the HGTV HOME product line in early 2013…and one of the trends for the whole line for 2014 is called “The Softer Side,” says guest editor Nancy Fire.  These three fabrics from the new “Softer Side” fabric collection in the “blushing” colorway feature cheerful grapefruit accents:

HGTV Home Fabrics in Blushing

HGTV Home Fabrics in Blushing Hues

So, how will you use grapefruit this February? Will it fill your cocktail glass, dress up your living room or be featured in your Valentine’s Day table setting? Tell us in the comments below.

Elegant Winter Party Table Setting

Design by Manvi Drona-Hidalgo

Color of the Month

1. jszdenek says:

Love the color!

As an interior designer, if pink is used right it adds an elegant look to most rooms.

2. DBCoop says:

While I'm not sure if my softer side would warm to the color of pink grapefruit in my personal home decor, the thought of a dozen blush pink roses for Valentine's Day along with a spicy grapefruit margarita might be called for — and it serves as a great reminder to begin enjoying some of those fresh-picked pink grapefruit from my citrus tree for an anytime treat.

3. Lisa says:

Beautiful! I would love to replace the curtains with colors pulled from tablescape. I would love a little table for 2 next to the window with two cozy chairs covered with the fabric on the far right above. What a beautiful way to start the day.

4. The above tips shared are truly very exciting & giving zeal to make this month of love a special one. Though i personally like pink very much, but not much sure of how it will go with the interior outlook, after going through the picture i feel pink can go good every essence.

5. Ann W says:

love the color pink. just accessorize my living room with all pink. Walls are charcoal gray with white trimmings. Very soothing. Ann W

6. Roxie says:

mmm, this is a luscious pink

7. Cheryll says:

Love it! ❤️

8. Vicki says:

Vicki
    I too love the color pink, it brings joy to a room!

9. Joan says:

This is really beautiful and relaxing

10. […] pastels (like our February color of the month, Pink Grapefruit) look ever-so-fresh against nearly-neon florals, citrus and springy greens. Once you’ve tried […]