You know how you can live with something and think it’s great for years then one day you look at it and decide that it has to go — stat?! Well, that was me and the shower curtain in my guest bath. When I originally bought the Waverly “Norfolk Rose” shower curtain in 2007, I was going for a cozy cottage look and it fit the bill perfectly. Fast forward to 2014 and — while my taste is still traditional — my color preference has shifted to grays and blues and I like my patterns a little more graphic. Thus, the hunt for a new shower curtain commenced.

Here’s a peek of my guest bathroom before:
Cottage-Style Bathroom Before Makeover
The golden-tan paint on the walls is a color that I custom mixed to warm up what’s otherwise a bright white room so I had no plans of painting the walls again. The new shower curtain would have to work with the existing paint.

I hit all the usual online suspects (Amazon, ebay, etsy, etc.) but couldn’t find a curtain in my color palette with a graphic but still feminine pattern for less than $100. I also tried my favorite brick-and-mortar design stores but, still, nada. Then, while I was in NC visiting family, the bargain-shopping gods shone upon me and I found a 100% cotton shower curtain with an oversized Moroccan tile design for $15 — that’s right, just $15, my kinda money.

And here it is, proudly displayed in my updated guest bathroom:
Gray and White Shower Curtain
My bathroom rug (which is actually a 2×6 bound carpet runner) was also looking a little tired so I swapped it out for a new one in a geometric gray-and-white pattern that I found at a carpet wholesaler for less than $10. Bound remnants make great rugs; check your local carpet stores, many carry rugs in assorted sizes they’ve made by binding small scraps of leftover carpet.  Or, you can create your own custom rug by combining carpet colors or patterns and having the edges bound. Bathroom After Mini Makeover

And here’s a before-and-after comparison, what do you think?
Camille's Bathroom Mini Makeover Before and After
See how I gave my master bathroom an easy update plus check out 100+ ways to update your bathroom on the cheap.

1. Mendy says:

where did you get the shower curtain?

2. Lili_HGTV says:

Lovely, Camille! Great pattern on the new curtain. Instantly makes it feel more fresh.

3. Keri_HGTV says:

Love the update, and I'm jealous of your beautiful orchid! Mine looks a lot like this: http://justaddiceorchids.web5.hubspot.com/Portals

4. RSS says:

The new update looks great!

5. Liz_HGTV says:

Looks great! Glad you finally found the shower curtain you've been looking (and looking) for!

• hgtvcamille says:

Thanks Liz, yeah, it took FOREVER to find a new shower curtain! All the ones I liked were $120 and up — which is just crazy time. $15 is a price point I can handle.

6. Ria says:

I love how you added the orchid and lanterns. I am looking at redoing my bathroom and ironically, I still love my shower curtain, it's just how to accessorize a bathroom that loses me! Great ideas!

• hgtvcamille says:

Thanks Ria! I'm a sucker for lanterns. I have 8 of them now and, because I buy them mainly at estate sales, yard sales or flea markets, I've never paid more than $15 for them.

7. Designer Dee says:

Looks great! Just want to share a thought on the wood cabinet–I painted mine in a low luster black paint and switched out the hardware to brushed chrome. It had a lot of impact on updating the bathroom.

• hgtvcamille says:

Hi Designer Dee, that's a great tip about painting the vanity. And, yeah, I thought about painting it but decided to keep it stained wood because it's the same stain color as the wood floors in the hall and I like how the wood tone ties everything together. :)

8. ssjrmr says:

I love the Mediterranean graphics also they deem to be a big trend right now, and they fit nicely with mid century modern motif. Very nice job on bath. I never get so lucky in the rug department so I'm considering buying a cheap one and painting the pattern on it myself with a stencil.

9. Carolyn Edwards says:

I want to use a soft sage like green, what do you suggest? If I decide to paint my wood cabinent, what color should I use? My sinks are a cream color , as is the shower and tile floor. Thank you for suggestions.
    Carolyn