When I get my home to myself for an extended period of time — no kids, no husband — I tend to go on the sort of cleaning and organizing binge that a normal working mom would think was…well, excessive. Instead of lazily reading books, or going out to brunch with girlfriends, I revel in the chance to fix my apartment knowing that no one but me will mess it up.

I was telling Briana that I could see the surface of my desk for the first time in ages and that led us to searching for a filing cabinet for her that would inspire her to file her piles of papers. She’s been looking for just the right at-home desk storage for a while and she indulged my current organizing mania by letting me window shop for her.

Here’s what I found in the way of cute, modern filing cabinets to fit her bill. The only downside? Now I want new office organizers, too:

Browsing for these filing cabinets got me thinking there are loads of high-function everyday objects with less-than-high style. What everyday item or household necessities do you wish you could find prettier versions of?

1. Kayla@HGTV says:

I've been coveting the mint green filing cabinet in Marianne's Crafternoon space for a looong time now. All of these are so perfect.

2. Liz_HGTV says:

The pink and white cabinet from Poppin is totally my jam. I've been thinking for awhile that I should get two of them and put a glass or wood top on as a desk for my (currently disastrous) office space.

• Lili_HGTV says:

You should!! I think that one is my favorite, too. You can definitely find finished, scrap or sample glass too that's not too expensive. I got mine from an architect who'd been given a perfect-sized -for-a-desk sample.

• Kayla@HGTV says:

LIZ! I love that idea. I want some kind of desk behind my sofa, but I don't want something clunky with my lack of space. Your idea is perfect.

3. Chris Wooten says:

Buy 2 and add a counter top at desk height and you have wonderful storage and a stylish desk. Go girly with the pink and white one.

chris@iwooten.com

4. Chris Wooten says:

You can purchase glass desk tops at Ikea for cheap.

5. a_fan says:

I have an old sentimental black-and-white family photo that I would love to have enlarged and made into an oversized canvas print. It would be perfect above a desk made out of the Poppin filing cabinets, offering a mix of both the old and the new. Like Liz, I am also partial to the blue.

Lili, thanks for passing along your great at-home storage-solution finds! My next challenge: Any stylish solutions for ironing boards, covers and/or stowaway?

6. irish says:

organizing is one way to make your house neat and beautiful, with modern filing cabinets that you can choose from, it you can have an array of designs to choose from. https://www.NicheCabinets.com

7. Briana@HGTV says:

Now the only problem is that I want to buy all of these! :) Great roundup.

8. friv2game says:

Very interesting and very funny. xD

9. […] a hunt for “ugly things that aren’t ugly,” since last week’s post about modern filing cabinets. I received some really great requests to be on the look out for and I’ve added them all to […]