I’ve been on a hunt for “ugly things that aren’t ugly,” since last week’s post about modern filing cabinets. I received some really great requests to be on the look out for and I’ve added them all to my list. (If you’ve got a request, let me know in the comments!) This week, Liz wants a good looking ceiling fan. Challenge accepted. Since I wasn’t quite sure what style she might have in mind, I found a variety that could fit well into almost any setting. Here’s what I came up with:

attractive ceiling fans

Top Row, L to R: 1. Stella Ceiling Fan by Dave Ellis; 2. Flyte by G Squared; 3. Haiku Fan; Bottom Row, L to R: 4. Lit Modern Ceiling Fan #4; 5. Avian Ceiling Fan; 6. Plum by Modern Fan Co

RELATED: How to Install a Ceiling Fan

The key to finding a really beautiful ceiling fan, unfortunately, is looking beyond some of the big box home improvement stores. They’re so convenient, but their selection can leave the design enthusiast unsatisfied. And sadly, a lot of the better looking fans come with an equally “impressive” price tag. If you think of them as an investment — one you’ll be staring at every day — perhaps it’ll help get you over the sticker shock.

1. Liz_HGTV says:

Thanks, Lili! You found some gems. In my home, I think the "Avian" model would be most appropriate. Like a great midcentury sectional, I have learned through research that beautiful fans do not seem to come cheap. I do, however, have this model in one room: http://www.lowes.com/pd_464467-93591-00873_0__?productId=50057277&Ntt=ceiling+fan&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dceiling%2Bfan&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

I like it pretty well, especially considering the price!

2. Lili_HGTV says:

Oh yes, that one is pretty great! And you're right, at that price it is pretty fantastic.

3. Big Ass Fans says:

Thanks for including our Haiku ceiling fan in this list!

4. Briana@HGTV says:

Okay, I have another one for you: Doormats. I'm looking for something not totally plain and boring but also not kitschy or novelty, know what I mean? :)

5. adrighis says:

This look very nice. I like this type of light!

6. remodeler says:

The LIT fan is actually the WING fan by Minka

7. Buff Gibbons says:

The Avian is my favorite and when Lowe's was selling them, I bought 3. When I tried to get another for my guest room, I discovered that they are no longer making them! It is difficult to find a ceiling fan that is clean, simple and doesn't take over the entire room! Oh yes, it would be nice if it moved air too! :)

8. Maggie says:

I prefer the retractable blade ceiling fans. I have seen one and it is great. Nice classic light and blades only when you need them.

9. Pat says:

I love celing fans and don't understand WHY the designers on TV take them out, they help to cut down on the elec. bill. I'll never give up my celing fans, have them in most rooms.

10. Darla says:

I need a ceiling fan to go with some oil rubbed 'country' lights I have. They have the wooden post with 3-4 open candelabra bulbs. I really don't want a light with the fan but could deal with a combo that has an inconspicuous light. Nothing I find fits the 1922 cottage look I'm after.