I’ve been on a hunt for “ugly things that aren’t ugly,” since last week’s post about modern filing cabinets. I received some really great requests to be on the look out for and I’ve added them all to my list. (If you’ve got a request, let me know in the comments!) This week, Liz wants a good looking ceiling fan. Challenge accepted. Since I wasn’t quite sure what style she might have in mind, I found a variety that could fit well into almost any setting. Here’s what I came up with:

attractive ceiling fans

Top Row, L to R: 1. Stella Ceiling Fan by Dave Ellis; 2. Flyte by G Squared; 3. Haiku Fan; Bottom Row, L to R: 4. Lit Modern Ceiling Fan #4; 5. Avian Ceiling Fan; 6. Plum by Modern Fan Co

RELATED: How to Install a Ceiling Fan

The key to finding a really beautiful ceiling fan, unfortunately, is looking beyond some of the big box home improvement stores. They’re so convenient, but their selection can leave the design enthusiast unsatisfied. And sadly, a lot of the better looking fans come with an equally “impressive” price tag. If you think of them as an investment — one you’ll be staring at every day — perhaps it’ll help get you over the sticker shock.

1. Liz_HGTV says:

Thanks, Lili! You found some gems. In my home, I think the "Avian" model would be most appropriate. Like a great midcentury sectional, I have learned through research that beautiful fans do not seem to come cheap. I do, however, have this model in one room: http://www.lowes.com/pd_464467-93591-00873_0__?productId=50057277&Ntt=ceiling+fan&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dceiling%2Bfan&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

I like it pretty well, especially considering the price!

2. Lili_HGTV says:

Oh yes, that one is pretty great! And you're right, at that price it is pretty fantastic.

3. Kayla@HGTV says:

The Lit Modern one is my favorite. I really like the single wing. (Less to clean, too.)

4. Leanne says:

Oh, the Plum! It looks like it belongs on a Howard Hughes plane. http://tinyurl.com/l3dc32m

5. Big Ass Fans says:

Thanks for including our Haiku ceiling fan in this list!

6. Briana@HGTV says:

Okay, I have another one for you: Doormats. I'm looking for something not totally plain and boring but also not kitschy or novelty, know what I mean? :)

7. adrighis says:

This look very nice. I like this type of light!

8. remodeler says:

The LIT fan is actually the WING fan by Minka

9. Buff Gibbons says:

The Avian is my favorite and when Lowe's was selling them, I bought 3. When I tried to get another for my guest room, I discovered that they are no longer making them! It is difficult to find a ceiling fan that is clean, simple and doesn't take over the entire room! Oh yes, it would be nice if it moved air too! :)

10. Maggie says:

I prefer the retractable blade ceiling fans. I have seen one and it is great. Nice classic light and blades only when you need them.