I don’t know if you’ve heard, but macrame is back in a big way. To bring this craft out of the 70′s and into the 21st Century (not to mention close out National Craft Month), we’re using a chic neon and metallic color palette and two clean and simple knots. Watch the video to learn how (and see me do a little disco!):

It’s the perfect size for a small vase or planter–I filled mine with cheery yellow flowers, but it would be a great way to show off succulents or air plants as well.

How To Make A Macrame Hanging Planter

Catch up on all of our National Craft Month projects–these easy felt bowls, festive pom-pom banners, and this gorgeous herringbone tray and box. Check in next week for another great how-to!

Brought to you by Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, where ideas and inspiration come together.

1. Adrien says:

Oh, that turned out so cute! Love the colors.

2. Jessica P. says:

This is great! I'll think I"ll make it with my craft group at the library.

3. Anna C says:

This macramé making a come back? I use to make lovely macramé plant holders, if its making a come back I might give it another go.

4. charleen says:

I loved macrame’ in the ’70s! I would create plant hangers, hanging tables, hanging wine bottle holders to macrame’ covered wine bottles! I am ready to start creating again!!

5. Arlene says:

I think this is downright ugly! The colors…would you wear a fuchsia skirt with n orange blouse? This vase deserves white flowers…or pale pink…or anything but orange. Too, the macrame holder could be natural twine, not FUCHSIA! (A great color when used with discretion.)

• Diane says:

I love the colors, the way I see it, nature is not matchy matchy, you see those colors together outdoors, so why not bring them in or at least to the patio area?
      But no I wouldn't wear a Fuschia skirt w an orange blouse. Lol

• gayle says:

Wow arlene. Negative much?

• Lea says:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's always ok to make things in your own color scheme. Rule of thumb…. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all

• ktzmom13 says:

I would wear a fuchsia skirt with an orange blouse – with a great brown woven belt, brown/gold wedge sandals, my long off-white scarf with orange and fuschia flowers, gold filigree watch and gold hoop earrings

6. Karen says:

Where do I find the directions for this nice project

7. Janiene says:

Yes, I would also like the written directions for this gorgeous planter holder!

8. Cindy says:

Where are the instructions? It said it came with step by step instructions but, I've looked everywhere and can't find them.

9. Amber says:

There is a video at the top with all of the directions ^.