Comfy sofas that look good are not exactly hard to find. There are so many furniture makers that really get that what we want when we plop down at the end of the day is a couch that not only feels good, but looks good, too. However, if you add a couple of key constraints about price and size, the field of options becomes considerably narrowed. When Kayla requested that I help her in her search for an apartment-sized sofa that worked well with a mid-century modern look, but was conventional enough to live with every day, AND cost under $700, I knew I had a tough assignment.

So for everyone who is in the camp of needing something small but really good looking, I present to you the following affordable and handsome options:
apartment sized sofas

The Chloe sofa on the left is from Macy’s and is currently on sale for $599. The sales at Macy’s come and go but the good news is they always come back around. Over the past several years, they’ve upped their furniture game and partnered with a bunch of great designers to put out some really refined looking pieces. On the right is a new classic from IKEA – the Kivik sofa. It’s actually one of the larger sofas on my list at 89″, but its proportion is right for not overwhelming a smaller space. Plus, it’s a perfect movie-watching couch.
apartment sized sofas

I’ve learned from designer Brian Patrick Flynn to always check Overstock.com when looking for pretty much anything. Chances are they’ll have something really close to what you want for a really good deal. That definitely holds true for this Signature Design sofa on the left at $679. Ditch the pillows that come with it and add some with a bright mid-century pattern and you’re all set. The loveseat on the right from West Elm is one of my all-time favorites. In fact if I had a need for another couch myself, I’d pick this Everett Upholstered Loveseat.
apartment sized sofas
An option I hadn’t considered for apartments before — but one that makes total sense now that I think of it — is a daybed. The one on the left is also from West Elm and has great mid-century modern lines. It would double as an excellent guest bed for company. Those of us who live in apartments often lament the lack of guest accommodations and this could be just the answer. It’s on sale right now, too, for $639. Last but not least is the Courtney Sofa from Target. Granted, it comes in at a fairly tiny 60″, but if you’re looking for something that’s an upgrade from a college-era futon, this is a pretty good bet. And at $499, the price is pretty hard to beat.

1. Kayla@HGTV says:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Except you saved me so much time. I gave up sofa hunting in 2014, but it looks like I may need to return to my dirty habit. The Kivik or Signature Design sofas are my favorites from this list. They're practical and neutral which is perfect for my collection of throw pillow patterns. Thanks, Lili!

2. Liz_HGTV says:

I love the daybed! So pretty.

3. Pat May says:

I can't understand how someone can buy a couch or chair without sitting in it. I have sat in so many beautiful pieces of furniture in a store and was unhappy with the feel or quality of the manufacture.

4. Susan says:

I bought the Ikea Ektorp loveseat with chaise for $499. Love the price, comfort, slipcover is easy to wash and the chaise can be moved to either side. Great deal.

5. janetbennett says:

You got a deal on the loveseat and chaise for 499 good job.

6. Danette says:

Be very aware of sofas from Overstock.com. Fabric quality is not always what it is described as and dimensions can be very deceiving! Double and Triple check. Foam quality of cushions is not the best quality either!!!

7. Very efficiently written story. It will be useful to anyone who utilizes it, as well as myself. Keep up the good work – looking forward to more posts.
    Michael Kors riding boots http://www.gadbykaren.com/CSS/Michael-Kors/Michael-Kors-riding-boots.html

8. China is made in three alternative ways, Hard Paste, Soft Paste and Bone China. Hard Paste china is prepared from a mixture of Kaolin, Feldspar plus Quartz then fired to near 1400 degrees Celsius. Soft Paste china is produced from a similar mixture however i . Carrs Silver make a unrivaled selection of sterling silver and silver plated cutlery sets and serving pieces, along with beautiful display cabinets and tables. Their range also includes decanters, photo frames, candlesticks and table centerpieces.

9. gucci outlet says:

Ignatieff, M. (1990)The Needs of Strangers, Hogarth Press, London.

10. des punaises New York est le buzz autour CHAUD! Ne pleure pas des ravages, mais c’est vrai. En dehors de l’ensemble de l’茅blouissement que New York a, sa renomm茅e a augment茅 en raison des ravageurs ce moment. Les punaises de lit NYC quel chaos! Les petits parasites ont conquis les zones les plus propres et les plus chers dans et autour de New York.