DIY Wood Coaster

As spring and summer approach, my inner hostess is starting to mentally plan some fun and festive get-togethers that say “yes” to all things spring. Bright colors, outdoor activities and light food are in order. Let’s kick this winter gloom to the curb and break out the multicolored dishware! I think some handmade details are needed, right? How about some DIY coasters where nature and bright party colors collide? I can get on board with any craft that turns a dead stick into a fancy coaster.

DIY Wood Coasters

Supplies:

• cross-sections of a dead stick (you can use several different tools to cut the cross-sections, for example a hack saw, hand saw or table saw)
  • paint in seasonal colors
  • painter’s tape
  • sponge brush

DIY Wood Coasters

Step 1: Use a small piece of painter’s tape to divide the face of the coaster in half. Be sure to press the tape down hard to the surface of the coaster.

DIY Wood Coasters

Step 2: Next, pick a paint color and paint the exposed half of the coaster with your sponge brush. Let the paint dry for 10 minutes.

DIY Wood Coasters

Step 3: Having just one color on each coaster sounds a little too boring to me, so I wanted to add a couple of colors to each. Remove the piece of tape you added for step one. Then, using two new pieces of tape, section off a new area on the surface of the coaster. I wanted my first and second color to border next to each other, so I made sure the second piece of tape lined up with the edge of my first color.

DIY Wood Coasters

Step 4: Paint your new section a different color and let it dry for 10 minutes.

DIY Wood Coasters

Step 5: Simply remove all of the painter’s tape. That’s it!

DIY Wood Coasters

DIY, Entertaining, Handmade

1. Trish Lewis says:

Darling! Rustic and girly…great combo! Adorable party favor idea!

2. liza says:

I'd put felt or cork tabs on the bottom so as to not scratch the table

3. Leilani says:

I would make them out of bigger limbs just in case you don't get them directly in the center when you set your glass down.

4. Cindy says:

My fiance cut over 200 of these wooden rounds to give as favors to our wedding guests this coming August. I'm going to stamp them with an outdoorsy motif, then insert a jute string for hanging. Problem is, as they dry out they are cracking. Should I dip them into some type of sealant to prevent the cracking?

• Lynne says:

I would also love to find out what to do so they don't crack.

• Alix Adams says:

What a great party favor! What I would suggest is to let the sticks dry completely before you cut them into slices. Once they are completely dead and dry they are much less likely to split when you cut into them.