Baskets are something that mysteriously accumulate in my home. I think between flower arrangements and gifts of fruit, they just pile up in my hall closet, waiting for their time to shine again. If you can relate, take a look at these cool crafts and ideas for baskets and get inspired to use yours for something beyond bananas, pears and apples.

5 Brilliant Basket Ideas and Crafts: Light Fixture

Design: Brian Patrick Flynn

Old Basket –> New Light Fixture
This idea from Brian Patrick Flynn is perfect for deeper baskets that already resemble lampshades. The rope adds a touch of coastal-cool to this nautical light fixture. Get the full tutorial on DIYNetwork.com.

5 Brilliant Basket Ideas and Crafts: Wall Art

Photo: Mark Lund | HGTV Magazine

Old Baskets –> New Wall Art
If you’ve got quite the basket collection at this point, turn it into an eclectic 3D wall art installation. This example from HGTV Magazine is the ideal mix of varying colors and sizes.

5 Brilliant Basket Ideas and Crafts: Hanging Plant Basket

Photo: DK – Simple Steps to Success: Herbs © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited

Old Basket –> New Hanging Plant Basket
Did you think you were going to see a Designer MacGyver post that didn’t include at least one plant-related idea? Think again! Check out this hanging plant basket how-to for all the DIY details.

5 Brilliant Basket Ideas and Crafts: Bathroom Storage

Design: Marian Parsons

Old Basket –> New Bathroom Storage
Adding a simple white stencil to an old basket can be enough to bring it back to life. This beauty from Marian Parsons has been repurposed as stylish bathroom storage, but the possibilities are nearly endless. Take a look at this article to see how it’s done.

5 Brilliant Basket Ideas and Crafts: Baby Shower Gift

Photo: Melanie Grizzel

Old Basket –> New Baby Shower Gift
If you have a clean basket that’s in good condition and a friend with a baby on the way, this idea is for you. Fill a basket with luxe spa essentials that will pamper a new mother or mommy-to-be and wrap with a bow. (Hey, it’s not re-gifting if you add new gifts to it!)

Which basket idea do you like best? And do you have more clever uses for old baskets? Share them in the comments below!

Designer MacGyver, DIY

1. charlean j. says:

the wall art is fantastic

2. Stacey says:

The light fixture is very unique and I like it a lot.

3. Sonnie says:

I use them to store rolled up towels in the guest bathroom or to hold magazines by the living room sofa.

4. Carol says:

Love the Mom Basket

5. Cooky says:

The wall art is something I’ve done n I luv yours! Baskets keep vanity clutter at a minimum for me…& catch mail at the back door for each family member with a stenciled name on it.

6. Suzie says:

I use them for my crafts, easy to pick up and carry to my chair or table. And use them in my closets to hold things up higher or in back of other items. The ones with handles are great for flower arrangements.

7. LIZ says:

I have a larger basket with a handle that I made a cushion to fit .my small maltese uses it for her bed and loves it

8. Linn says:

I use baskets for so many things! A small lidded container inside a basket to hold my cat's treats looks so nice; a taller basket with a plastic container inside holds the litter box scooper, when I get a few library books, I keep them in a basket next to my reading chair, on my computer desk, a flat rectangular basket holds a tiny lamp, my desk top caller ID and sticky notes for a quicker dusting of my desk.

9. filanddell says:

I am going to call me creative, since I love a basket, and use these in the same way! Except for the lamp shade, that basket is used for magazines in my guest/son's room. Love some baskets, my favorite that I keep in my china cabinet, only used on special days, with a cloth napkin is the one that I got from the South Carolina, Sweetgrass Baskets of Mount Pleasant. Hand woven with old, rich, not to be forgotten history.

10. Cookie says:

I NEVER get pretty baskets like these. I do however, have one pretty basket that I bought myself to keep my needlework in beside my chair so it can be handy when I watch TV.