Welcome to Design Happens’ Cocktail Week! Each day from now until July 4th we’ll be sharing our favorite summer cocktail recipes on our Facebook page and here on the blog. Join us for #HGTVHappyHour and share your favorites, too.
Lately, I’ve been on a beer+rum cocktail kick, so when Liz introduced to me to grapefruit beer, I knew I had to try it. Turns out, it’s pretty delicious and I had a hunch it would pair well with the coconut rum sitting in my freezer. So I started experimenting and came up with a summery beer-tail using pineapple, orange and lime juices, coconut rum and, of course, grapefruit beer. It sounds super sweet, but the lime and beer give the mix a light, crisp flavor that’s refreshing instead of sugary. It’s absolutely perfect for those sweltering days on the lake here in East Tennessee.
The Tennessee Fizz
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1 small lime
3 ounces coconut rum
1/4 cup grapefruit beer
lime wheel, for garnish
1. Add rum, pineapple and orange juice to an ice-filled cocktail shaker.
2. Cut a lime in half and lightly squeeze about 1/4 teaspoon of juice into a shaker. Shake well. (Don’t add too much or it will overpower the other ingredients.)
3. Pour over fresh ice in a glass tumbler until 3/4 full.
4. Top with about 1/4 cup of grapefruit beer or to taste. Stir twice quickly with a spoon.
5. Garnish with a lime wheel. Enjoy while fizzy.
Tip: You likely won’t find grapefruit beer at the grocery store, so save yourself some time and stop by your local beer market or package store first. It’s definitely worth the trip!
Do you have a favorite beer-infused cocktail? Tell us in the comments. And for more delicious cocktail recipes, check out #HGTVHappyHour.