I’m not ashamed to admit that throughout my basset hound, Oliver’s, 13 years, I’ve happily paid for him to see an acupuncturist, animal communicator, massage therapist and yes, the dude even has his own dermatologist. True confessions: I’m far more diligent about Oliver’s skincare issues than I am my own.
Although I’m a dog mama, I’ve got a lot of love to spread around. So, I’ve rounded up some creative ideas for keeping your space both pet friendly and très chic.
1. Kitty Steps. If you’ve already mastered the gallery wall, I’m positive you can handle these kitty steps. Are they a cat toy? Are they shelves? You decide.
2. Wall-Mounted Fish Tanks. What an amazing way to teach the kiddos about life and how to take care of another living/breathing thing. Plus, it’s pretty cool wall decor.
3. Dog Hammock. If there was an Olympic competition for dog shedding, my dog would be an international gold medal champion. Ditto for drooling. Needless to say, this DIY hammock is a great way to keep all that business out of your car — for good.
4. Kitchen Pet Food Storage. Finding a spot to store a 30-pound bag of pet food is no easy task. So, whether you’ve got a doggie or a kitty, this food storage kitchen cabinet hack is brilliant.
5. Fluffy Rugs. This might seem like a no-brainer, but you can use a stylish rug or pelt specifically as a pet bed — especially if it’s a fluffy number. Small rugs are easy to move around and often look a lot more chic than the average pet bed.
6. Gumball Machine Fish Tank. Here’s a great way to get your kids to give up candy forever: put a fish in their gumball machine!
7. Leather Chew Toy: This leather chew toy for birds is so swank. I would probably sneak into my bird’s cage in the middle of the night and steal it. It would also be super easy to do a DIY version of this with some leather scraps if you’re feeling crafty.
8. Double-Decker Cat Scratch Bed: Grab an Ikea Expedit cube, tie some rope around it, add a couple of fluffy pillows and — voila! You’ve got a super stylish kitty scratch pad.
9. Get Creative With Hooks: Try hanging some interesting hooks near the front door to jazz up your leash storage game.
Do you keep your pets in mind when making home decorating decisions? We’d love to hear about your favorite hacks or design ideas in the comments.