blogmeister

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 6

Meet Our New Design All-Stars

Meet the new cast of HGTV Design Star! Check out their bios and see the designs that earned each a spot in season six.

Plus, check out our fan vote, where you decide which rising star gets an online show on HGTV.com. Vote up to 10 times a day for your favorite designer.

Posted at 5:07 pm

71 Comments

1. I really like some of these contestants' portfolios…I am going to split them into groups, based on their previous work.
    -Frontrunners: Blanche, Kellie, and Tyler
    -Dark Horses: Doug, Leslie, and Cathy
    -No Big Impression- J Allen, Mark, Karl, and Meg
    -Not Going Far- Kevin and Brett
    Let me know what you think!! :D

Kelly on June 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm
    • It's funny that there were way more votes for Kevin than the other more talented designers. First off, I think Leslie has what it takes to be HGTV design star because from the portfolio I've seen, she seemed to have the Do-It-Yourself skills. Blanche seems to have what it takes but I'm a little skeptical and waiting to see more when the show premieres. Cathy is okay, just not "wow" for me, I am looking to see very creative designers who's strengths are their problem solving skills. Come on we all know how to throw a luxurious room together by adding fine linens and expensive pieces but can you come up with something very different and very creative, for example taking a $200 budget and transforming a room into something out of this world but at the same time maintaining a absolutely sophisticated environments?? not everyone was gifted with this, so HGTV have to carefully choose very special people to do these kinds of things….

Almond on June 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm
      • YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT ABOUT LESLIE!!!!!!!!!!

<3 Annabelle

Annabelle W. on June 17, 2011 at 6:29 am
      • I think you are right on target about Leslie, and love your comments that the real test is taking a small budget and creating the sophistication, comfort and elegance that is not very difficult when you have unlimited budget!

DCCgirl on June 17, 2011 at 8:05 am
    • I find Kellie Clements strong in understanding of art elements: line, color, pattern, balance, values. She presents a set that appears inviting and soothing within a coordinated and calibrated range of hues that add interest and freshness in a livable space.

Rocco Panzarino on June 12, 2011 at 11:28 am
      • I think you totally missed on her…

OSU84Orange on June 17, 2011 at 8:07 am
    • We need to add back Matt Locke he should be with this group.

lheidrick on July 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm
  2. well my mother is best friends with Kellie clements so I agree she is a front runner!

sophie on June 7, 2011 at 10:11 am
  3. Well it looks like HGTV is listening to us. Read the discriptions of the shows off of this link. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/episode_archive/0,100023
    It sounds like the old format with some nice additions like hosting challenges. I love how there is also a mentor. But I don't love that it is David. The only advice he'll give is "add a pop of color" or "Kick it up a notch." He's become so predictable. I wish Emily Henderson was the mentor. Adding a host doesn't seem necessary though. The judges were doing just fine with the hosting..

Nate on June 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm
    • YES! I love the non-five-person-team challenges and that they are helping real people!! White box seems more like original versions, and the camera challenge will be very helpful! This season seems like it is borrowing a little more from Next Food Network Star. Oh, and guest panelists too? We will see if that change is good or bad…I am optimistic though!

Kelly on June 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm
    • well they have to go big somehow and his show is about using color put two and two together

Mike R on June 23, 2011 at 11:06 am
    • Bahh.. David is amazing. He's very positive and creative. Surely you recall what HE did with the white box challenge.

Ellen on June 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm
  4. This season looks good, I like that they added a commercial guy (doug) nice bio works! Atlanta looks hot

Kim burn on June 7, 2011 at 6:18 pm
  5. J Allen has a fresh eye and she is an artisan in her own right, watch out for her! She is a force to be reckoned with!!

tmss on June 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm
  6. I hope they go back to the original producer/director. I did not like last years mean spirited show. And still no Clive Pearse?!?! I would enjoy this show more if it were Lisa LaPorta, Monica Pedersen, Tanya, John and Clive.

Jean on June 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm
    • You have my vote of getting the back to the original producer/director. All we need is another result with someone like Antonio winning. I hope they get Clive back soon ! Maybe this year the two femals don't have serious moments of there minds getting off the right track.

Fred on June 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm
    • I hope they learned from the huge mess they made last year. It looks like they realized their mistake in not having a host. But they really need to bring back Clive and not make Tanika the host.

mowgo on June 18, 2011 at 11:12 am
    • i agree – they evidentally (can't spell) are too busy?

ruth on June 26, 2011 at 10:00 am
    • I am really disappointed that Clive isnt coming back. I think he makes the show. Will have to see where the show goes before after I start watching the show.

Sherry on June 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm
    • Maybe I'm the only one who is SATISFIED & thrilled that David is their mentor – although Emily Henderson is good on her program. I just think she needs a bit more TV experience before she helps others.

When I look at the judges, they ARE fabulous talents & well qualified to be there criticizing the contestants. I have NEVER seen a designer as brilliant & precise as Vern, and I love Gen & Candance, too – they are all at the top of their fields! I would love to see them interacting with the contestants a bit more, and letting more than David see them while they're working. I don't like when judges only see the completion.

KACTUS_KAT on August 5, 2011 at 3:24 am
  7. Designs I like are from Leslie, Karl, and Mark. Hopefully these 3 designers go a long way! Goodluck!!

Rodg on June 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm
  8. I am excited to be a new member of the 'Design Star' community.

Jessica Ashman on June 12, 2011 at 3:17 pm
  9. I think you're blind. LOL

Karen on June 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm
  10. I think Kellie kinda reminds me of Cacey Anthony…. and Kevin is a cross between Divine from the John Waters classics and uncle fester, and his portfolio looks like pics of a homiced scene or like somebody cleared out grandma's attic then threw it in a pile and took a pic of it….

syrupblood on June 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm