Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 26

Emily Talks Episode 3: 5 Standout Moments

Emily Henderson

Emily tells us the top five things that she loved (and hated) about episode three. Plus, find out which designers committed a cardinal design sin in Emily’s book.

Watch as Emily counts down the biggest wins and red flag from this week’s challenge:

Do you agree or disagree with Emily? What was your favorite and least favorite moment of episode three? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 2:01 pm

62 Comments

1. I so agree about Mark. I can see a little puzzled head-scratching that he didn't do a little shopping, or focused on his own project, but to blame him for "allowing" Doug to do something stupid is bad. What, exactly, was he going to do other than what he did? He'd have been seriously criticized if he HAD erased Doug's choice, too. I don't think he deserved to be in the top–it was "meh" sort of room–but bottom two over Doug's call? That seemed a bit silly. And if they were judging people on teamwork… well, let's say I can think of someone who seemed like a worse team player.

BuffaloBarbara on July 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm
    • I enjoy Mark's work. Pairing him up with Doug was a disaster. Since team work is a big theme on the show I think Mark should do the following:
      Express his ideas to the team
      Be open to a quick discussion about all their ideas and how they can mesh with his own
      Let yourself go – an innovator – listens to that ah ha voice in his head and then takes the risk
      Listen to the homeowners/B&B owners etc. then take their wants BEYOND anything they could have dreamed
      Good Luck Mark and Best wishes Buffalo Barbara I think we're going to have some interesting shows to watch. ;-) BohemianClassic

BohemianClassic on July 27, 2011 at 7:13 am
      • Remember 2 seasons ago how Antonio pretty much ignored his other partners and did everything his way? The homeowners said they wanted neutral colors, Antonio said he REFUSED to paint walls beige no matter what, his teammates were pissed off, the judges chose Antonio as the winner that week (as well as Design Star winner). Go figure…………….

Penny on July 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm
  2. I agree with all that Emily said and just love her shows. But, I would definitely say that she did not chastise Cathy enough. I keep hearing about her global travels. Well, I have been to Barcelona and worked in 11 different countries for a minimum of 6 weeks. If she says her White Box room was Spanish inspired, I think she needs glasses big time. There was no influence. Originally, I thought I would like her a lot. But, I find her lazy and her style very unimaginative. If she gets a show, it will be boring as anything. And, I definitely won't be watching anything she does.

cmt753 on July 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm
  3. Emily – good review! Like someone earlier, I usually agree about your voice being annoying. This review you spoke in normal conversational tones and it was so much easier to watch. No fingernails on blackboard at all. If you use these tones on your show, I'd be much more likely to keep watching. Anyway, your review was good and I agree about Mark. I don't think he should have been called out because of Doug's color choice. As far as I am concerned, there should have been no choice between the worsts this week. The winner should have been named, the rest (other than Doug) should have been called safe and Doug shown the door. His attitude just annoyed the heck out of me all through the show. I thought Mark did a very good job of controlling his temper. I might have whacked him! LOL

jlw on July 26, 2011 at 9:16 pm
  4. Don't like bickering between team players as a rule. But was glad to see Karl and Bret stand up to Cathy.
    She can't always have it her way.

J. Miller on July 26, 2011 at 9:22 pm
    • I totally agree with you. Karl and Bret were being treated like The Help. I hope Cathy can learn to play well with others soon before she loses her spot on the show.

BohemianClassic on July 27, 2011 at 7:16 am
  5. Leslie's comment regarding her "wife" should have hit the editing floor! My kids like to watch DS and I don't think the show should have to become a conversation about " lifestyle!". As an adult, I understand that the design world has a very strong homosexual component, but can't we please keep the show about design so that the whole family can watch?

Margaret on July 27, 2011 at 7:52 am
    • Why is it that gay people are said to have a "lifestyle", but that straight people get to have "lives"? If your children live in the real world, they will need to know that there are all kinds of people out there, and that everyone – provided they do not harm others – has a right to exist. If you try to "protect" your kids from the mention of people who are different than yourself, you are sending a very clear message to them that anyone not like them is "bad". That is a very sad thing to teach your children. By the way, has it ever occured to you that one of your kids might actually be gay? Gay people don't just spontaneously appear one day. Some people are born straight, some are born gay. No different than being right handed or left handed.

Babs on July 27, 2011 at 11:57 am
      • There is a time for kids to be exposed to the greater world. I have college-aged kids and obviously, I am not concerned about their exposure to this subject matter. However, when it comes to my younger child, the subject matter is not age appropriate. And that is my concern related to families watching a design show which is suppose to be about DESIGN, and all of a sudden, totally unexpected, it becomes something different. I would be equally concerned if two heterosexual DESIGN STARS had an "overnight" so to speak, because that's not what the show is about!

Margaret on July 28, 2011 at 9:51 am
        • Seriously?? I can't believe what I'm reading. Margaret, you need to lighten up, big time. Your mean-spirited comment is shocking and offensive, not to mention unrealistic. Honestly, Leslie's mention of her wife and kids (the context of which was about how they like to showcase their kids' artwork, I believe? Good family values, wouldn't you say?) was so under-the-radar that I had to rewind to catch what I thought I heard about her having a wife, because I had no idea (she's one of my favorites). Finding out that this talented designer not only survived breast cancer like so many friends and family that we ourselves know, but is also of a "blended" family and married to a woman only endeared her to me more for her courage.

Shame on you for your insensitive and negative comments. This is not a sounding-board for your personal beliefs on homosexuality.

Adrianne on July 28, 2011 at 10:27 am
          • Furthermore, if your logic rules for the entire show, then Kellie can't weep when talking about how the challenge reminded her of her own young children. Get over yourself, Margaret.

Adrianne on July 28, 2011 at 10:39 am
        • Kelly is constantly mentioning her husband and kids. I'm pretty sure they must have had an "overnight" to get the kids. Besides, just by uttering the word "wife", HOW did the whole show become "something different"? I'm betting your kids didn't even think twice about it, assuming they even heard her say it in the first place. Let's just worry about the design, shall we?

Babs on July 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm
    • I feel it's ok to be a bit different. It's good for kids to learn that being odd isn't a bad thing and that you can still live a happy life being different.

Jessica on July 28, 2011 at 5:25 am
  6. Next thing we know they will be allowing everyone to talk about their families on Reality TV. What is this world coming to? My advice… put your kids in bubbles. Or you could always just turn off the show. I'm pretty sure there are no open gays on the Disney Channel?

Jennie on July 27, 2011 at 8:55 am
    • I'm only 9 years old. Even though i'm young, i know the definition of gay. I most certainly am not gay, but just b/c Leslie is doesn't mean that's bad. It's good to learn that it's ok to be different, so I don't get why ur saying kids can't know that gay people exist.

Lisa on July 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm
  7. Emily is AWESOME! How about a Design Star panel of Judges comprised of the past winners? Emily, David, Antonio…Todd should be there too. OK, Cathy desperately needs to go. Perhaps they are just keeping her on for her conceited attitude that seems to bring controversy to every episode, a devil's advocate of sorts. I would gag on a 30 minute show with her global perspective attitude. She needs to get off her high ego horse and put some muscle where her mouth is! My favorites are Kelly, Mark and Meg (but you got to get in there Meg and push harder!)

kfrewin on July 27, 2011 at 9:31 am
  8. Still more "I, me, and mine", not a lot of "we, us and our". Understand there has to be a mix/variety of folks to make the show interesting, but some are a bit too much. And sometimes, when the rooms are revealed they are so very bad, I hurt from the designers. I know they have to have talent, that they were selected from a lot of folks who applied, but honestly, it's beyond sad and painful to see.
    Like the challenges, going into homes. Practical. Helpful. Realistic and gutsy on the part of homeowners. Thus far, this season seems less "gimicky". Like having Emily and David comment, those I see as "up and coming", not the ones who are there. While I liked the visiting judges, their clothing choices looked like a 70's re-enactment. Not visually appealing. Enjoying the season thus far.

shehopes on July 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm
  9. Anyone else dislike Vlogs? My regular laptop doesn't do well with sound and I don't care enough to boot up big boy to hear someone nattering. I'd much rather lie back and read-skimming what I don't care about instead of being held captive waiting for them to hit a topic I'm interested in. Some of us can still read!

Pylgrym on July 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm
  10. Those team challenges are killers. 72 hours of work gets boiled down to about 40 minutes of show, so we don't know everything that goes on, and competition reality show producers tend to thrive on serving audiences big doses of conflict, but I often wonder why teams don't take a more relaxed, cooperative approach. Someone from the worst project usually gets canned, and the worst project tends to come from the team with the most conflict. Arguing eats away at productivity. Whoever gets his or her own show will ultimately have to compromise and cooperate with producers, directors, suppliers, assistants, clients etc.

Somebodyelse on July 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm
    • I agree, we only see them argue because the producers want us to see them argue. They might have a few moments of conflict, but the rest is smooth sailing. They combine the arguments so that it looks like they were arguing the entire time.

Mabel on July 28, 2011 at 5:32 am