Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 26

Emily Talks Episode 3: 5 Standout Moments

Emily Henderson

Emily tells us the top five things that she loved (and hated) about episode three. Plus, find out which designers committed a cardinal design sin in Emily’s book.

Watch as Emily counts down the biggest wins and red flag from this week’s challenge:

Do you agree or disagree with Emily? What was your favorite and least favorite moment of episode three? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 2:01 pm

62 Comments

1. I think Emily was right on. What is Mark supposed to do if his team mate (Doug) absolutely refuses to comprise. Is Mark supposed to throttle him with a chuck a wood. DB has that "one had to go". Wrong! Doug had to go. Just because Mark didn't knock him out and throw him closet , he gets called out by the judges ? I love the show, but will a home owner ever hire two designers to compete with each other and then select one? I get team work, but Doug was down right hostile.
    I also agree that Tyler and Meg killed. That was the best room for me. I thought that Vern's comments were, as always, pointless. They may not have had pictures to put in the space. "It looks like a show room"…when is that bad ?

JIm on July 28, 2011 at 10:00 am
    • Thank you! I also LOVED Tyler's and Meg's room, as well as how well they collaborated. Of all the negative stuff I saw on that show, Vern had to notice there weren't any family photos?

Penny on July 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm
    • What did Mark do? He spent three days nailing wood to a wall thats why he was called out

lov4design on July 28, 2011 at 8:45 pm
  2. O.K. minor comment about Mark, I think he may be great at design but not so great at DS. In challenge 3 he showed the same weakness as challenge1, ie: big ideas but not enough time to execute them.The judges hate unfinished projects, so lets hope in future episodes he shows better time management.

CharlesD on July 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm
    • Mark finished in challenge 3. The only thing he didn't execute was Doug.

erikcreature on July 28, 2011 at 1:53 pm
      • The judges took care of that! LOL :)

Penny on July 28, 2011 at 5:05 pm
  3. Love Emily! I completely agree with everything she said. (Especially about Mark) Sorry D.B., don't agree with you o this one. I know we don't get to see everything that went on b/w him and Doug, but Doug was overconfident in his abilities. I think Ms. Gorder summed it up by mentioning an issue with his level of taste. I know they want people to step up & take charge no matter what, but I think most of us would have reacted similarly to Mark in this situation. Mostly polite & trying hard not to lose our temper. :) Kathy is definitely annoying as well with the whole global perspective mantra. Hearing it over & over reminds me of "glamilistic"

schoolsmith on July 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm
  4. Cathy goes next 3 in a row? huh?

lov4design on July 28, 2011 at 8:47 pm
  5. Emily Was Definitely Right on About Everything!

Sarah on July 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm
  6. Emily, it's definitely OK to put an area rug on an angle, that is why no one said anything. If it is done correctly and with in scale of the room and furniture, It can just help enhance the room. My eye did not go straight to the area rug. We need to be able to go outside of the box, while still lookin good. :)

Wendie on August 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm
  7. I just want it known that I DO NOT LIKE bossy bitch Kathy and would never watch her show!! On top of her uppity attitude, I would never watch ANYONE with those crazy eyes!! (Karl – please don't do that! You are a fabulous designer – my favorite so far. Just don't show the whites all around the irises!!)

Scooter on August 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm
  8. How could Mark have objected more without punching Doug? He was so correct and tried to be so nice advising that arrogant Doug about the wall color, but he wasn't the BOSS of him. Nobody has control over anyone else, so they should not be degraded for their work on a project. To say Mark was wrong for "allowing" Doug to do what he INSISTED on doing, is just so unfair. The judges are wrong for throwing these people together, expecting them to "merge" styles, then insisting " we have to see your point of view" in the projects-what do they expect? They throw them on a "battlefield" and then expect them to become "allies" – just not right!

Scooter on August 1, 2011 at 6:51 pm
  9. If a child picks up on that detail, consider it a teachable moment and tell him/her that some families have 2 moms or 2 dads – and let it go at that. When teaching first grade and a child did not stand for the pledge it was a good time for the class to hear that they came from homes with different customs. So they were to remember some families don't eat certain foods, some don't celebrate Christmas,some don't celebrate birthdays, some fast on special days because that's their family tradition. That's America. If you can't handle it, turn off the TV.

Don't

Nell698 on August 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm
  10. Cathy's personality makes me want to STOP watching. She brings the show down and gives designers a bad name. Also, she isn't a great designer.
    When I watch design shows on HGTV, I have no idea what the 'real' personality of the host may be….seeing a designer's performance and who they are on Design Star helps me decide if I will watch their show. I would NEVER watch Cathy's show since I now know she is not likeable.
    HGTV, remember, your current employees would have to work with this unsubstantiated ego of Cathy's….good luck :)

Anya on August 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm