Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 4

Think You’re The Next Design Star? Apply Now!

Past Design Star Winners

Emily, David and Antonio edged out the competition...are you next?

While the season six drama is unfolding, we’re already on the lookout for the season seven Design Star cast! Think you have what it takes to be the next Design Star?  Open casting call dates in cities around the country start next week, or submit your application and audition video online for your chance to work alongside Emily, David, Antonio and the rest of the star-studded cast of HGTV hosts.

Ready to apply? Here’s what you need to know.

DC Open Casting Call

Date:
Monday, October 3rd, 2011
Time: 9am- 12pm
Location: Sutton Place
1015 Second Ave., New York, NY 10022
Email: DesignStar7NYC@gmail.com

Get more information about casting dates and requirements here.

Posted at 9:57 am

33 Comments

1. and ENOUGH with the product placement!!!! We Get it!! BMW is your sponsor this season, do you HAVE to show David B. pull up in his brand new red BMW with blatent close-up EVERY episode. We get it, the show is one big ADVERTISEMENT, what else is new?

todd on August 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm
    • lmfao. no shit.

kris on August 3, 2012 at 3:32 pm
  2. regarding all of the above – ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE COMPLAINING – I LOVE hgtv and wish I had the guts to audition. Design star – FUN, but get rid of Cathy, she is NOT team player – David B! I just watched his episode and l now have a new appreciation of his talent and skill (yes, both). The real estate shows? well, I am sick of house hunters international but all the rest – I love love love. It is now the only channel I watch because the rest of TV is murder, death, Kill! Reality is bad enough – why not watch something creative and fun. My last word – the judges!!! well, maybe I should just leave this on a positive note.

Sylk on August 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm
  3. My turn ! Love House Hunters International, seldom watch House Hunters. I mean really, vacation homes should have small bedrooms. If your vacation is spent in a bedroom, stay at home and go to a hotel. More Bang for your Buck, more Design to Sell. I'm tired people buying houses. Design Star? If these were the best out of all applicants, design is in trouble.

Kl5019 on August 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm
  4. Amen, Sylk. Maybe each week they should have an open thread for complaining that the rest of us can ignore.

Good luck to freshchickdesigns… hope we're talking about you here next year.

Producers, still campaigning for a season in sunny Buffalo– http://youtu.be/MT11IdWPvfc ;p.

BuffaloBarbara on August 7, 2011 at 11:03 am
  5. I really like watching Design Star. I think its one of the best shows HGTV has. Being a closet designer myself, I can understand the tense times the contestants have to endure and hope that they did well enough to move on. I dont know how I would do given just a few hours to complete something. I think its fun.
    I am getting tired of all the real estate shows. I am more into learning things that I dont know how to do. More of a DIY type. I would like to see more of those kind of shows. I like yard crashers and other shows like that. HGTV is still one of my favorite channels.

to old to play on August 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm
    • Yard Crashers rock!

Libby on August 9, 2011 at 6:16 pm
  6. I wish HGTV would bring back shows like from Junky to Funky, or other shows that would show how even the low income people can make changes to adorn or spruce up their place. Perhaps the next design star winner? What ever happened to the one girl that won that painted great designs on walls and furniture? I saw 2 shows back to back, and nothing since then. I didnt care for the show, I dont think it fit her personality. She would be good in the kind of show I would like to see. I also miss shows that used to be on that you was able to make a room look like a high price designer room for a lot less.

to old to play on August 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm
  7. Cathy really needs to go and I'm hoping it's tonight. and I hope the judges let her know exactly how her design diva wannabe attitude is not backed up with any talent whatsoever. Don't understand how she's gotten this far, actually – she can't get along with anyone, the only thing she can do reasonably is buy things – I'm betting she couldn't get along with Paula Dean herself, and what kind of ogre would you have to be then? just askin.

Hallton on August 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm
  8. The producers of Design Star know what they're doing, and if Cathy was such an accomplished broadcaster, why isn't she still doing it? The good one's make boatloads in the NY market, and she has the face for radio…maybe! My fiance just said she'd rather watch old reruns of some (any) horrible show than watch Ms Bug-Eyes and Gums…and the producers know that! Keeping her on, keeps us talking about it, and watching…it's the 'have to slow down to look at an accident effect'.

Scott on August 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm
  9. Who wants to try out for a phony "design" show, whose winner was chosen well in advance of the casting call? DS is a joke.

erikcreature on August 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm
  10. I'm with erikcreature.

Even the though the early season audience voting only offered the top two judge selections, it implied some impartiality on the part of HGTV. The emphasis on the camera challenges really drives home that HGTV is primarily interested in hosts and not designers. And let's not even get into the network programming choices :(

Even if contestants just want exposure, the challenges rarely result in good looking, knockout work. Other than participating is a design themed summer camp, being on the show seems like an ultimate net loss.

Lincrusta on August 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm