Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 12

Create Your Own Dream Kitchen in 3 Days or Less

Dream Kitchen

Inspired by this week’s dream kitchen episode of Design Star? Spruce up your kitchen this weekend with our collection of 12 projects that can be done in three days or less. From this modernized kitchen chandelier to a DIY glass tile backsplash, give your kitchen a new look that even Vern, Genevieve and Candice would love.

Check out all our easy kitchen update ideas >>

What would your dream kitchen look like? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

38 Comments

1. Cathy is very argumentative, hard-headed, opinionated, definately not a team player, and in my opinion not very creative, and not a good designer. I think she is the one person that should have already been eliminated. i feel sorry for anyone that bgets paired up with her, because she brings them down!!!

Angela on August 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm
  2. Anyone know where I can find the tile Tyler used for his backsplash? I love that tile and was looking for some info on it. Thanks.

fanfair123 on August 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm
    • The green glass tile? I know at HomeDepot or Lowe's they have that sort (maybe not same color) in their special order section. We were going to use a celadon glass tile for a bathroom but ended up opting for something else. In the DFW area, I've found better luck when shopping at the showrooms of the different tile manufacturers and then at a place called "Seconds and Surplus" which got us our fancy tile for a fraction of the cost.

Also, the penny round tile Kelly used is easily found on the internet. In case you want to know.

erincnewton on August 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm
      • Thanks. They have all the products listed on this website but there's a green tile that might have been in the same design family that Tyler used but not in that color. I really loved that green Tyler used. It popped like nobody's business lol. Wonder if it's the same tile. But it doesn't have other color options so I couldn't tell if it was the same backsplash just in a different color. Thanks though.

fanfair123 on August 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm
    • The tile Tyler chose was beautiful! I would love it in my kitchen too! (Tyler's taste is so much better than Cathy's…by the way, Cathy's kitchen was supposed to be contemporary; hers really looked more transitional…the only saving feature was Karl's light fixture…Cathy should have been sent home on that alone!)

ishiba on August 14, 2011 at 9:36 am
  3. What does this have to do with kitchen remodels? Enough already!

ambobo on August 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm
    • I think they must have clicked the wrong "comments" link on the blog. I did it once too.

erincnewton on August 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm
      • This may not have anything to do with kitchen remodeling, but it has everything to do with being a team player, and having one's own tv show. Isn't it funny how every time she gets paired up with someone, there is always conflict? I would not want to work with someone like that, let alone take advice from someone like that.

She needs to learn that she is not the smartest one in the room, and that other people can help her on her road to success (no matter how many Emmy's you win). PLEASE.

Brianna on August 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm
        • So what? You're just repeating what everyone else has been ranting about for the last 3 weeks. Why do you feel the need to rehash this slop over and over again? Yes, Cathy's a hack and a hag, but this continuous blathering about her is as boring as one of her living room makeovers.

ambobo on August 12, 2011 at 9:29 pm
  4. Well Liz, my dream kitchen would not have a chandelier in it like the pix above–nor do I care for all stainless steel appliances. I'd like a country kitchen with a huge sink, nice size island and Marks choice of backsplash and lighting fixture.

Sagebrush on August 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm
    • Yeah, those basket lights really do rock!

ambobo on August 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm
  5. First of all, I wouldn't tile my kitchen in the amount of item you give in the Design Star show (or any HGTV room crashing show). Oh, I guess I'd tile and grout in one day if I wanted it to fall off the walls in a week. Then maybe that'd be a part of the "dream" kitchen.

Honestly, the dreamiest part of kitchens are space and gadgets. And a farmhouse sink. And I'd do it myself. Not hire someone to do it for me. When did DIY become "hire Lumber Liquidators"?

erincnewton on August 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm
    • I really like the farmhouse look. It's definitely very cozy. But I like splashes of color (which the cabbage candles provided well) especially in the green and orange scheme. My kitchen's gotta have function though and easy to keep clean and have a clean look and feel to it. I don't mean let's design it all in white. Just saying I am a fan of clean lines and look. Do slide out carving boards mounted in between the counter and drawers count as gadgets in a kitchen? And also I would love a drawer just for spices with a rack organizer that lets you see all of them all at once when you open it. So there's no rotating or poking around to find the one you need. The up right spice racks are ok but cant see them all of them all in one snapshot. I have ALOT of spices..did i mention ALOT?

fanfair123 on August 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm
  6. Where did leslie get her black leather jacket. I need to get one

Marna klug on August 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm
  7. Where did Leslie get her black leather jacket with the silver inserted. I need one. Ayone know where to get one.

Marna klug on August 12, 2011 at 5:28 pm
  8. I think the chandelier is charming, as is the dog looking in the window. In my dream kitchen the dog(s) are inside, sniffing the aromas of home cooking and licking up my spills. Oh, and it also has voluminous drawers and rollout shelves. I'd take those butcher block countertops as well. (Granite is so slick, cold and conventional.)

ambobo on August 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm
  9. My dream kitchen has indoor plumbing and a floor that ain't dirt!

Ellie May on August 12, 2011 at 10:55 pm
  10. My dream kitchen would be 20×20, U shaped with an island in the middle. It would have warm colors with a lot of south facing windows for light. Of course the triangle of refrigerator, stove and sink would be in place with a pot filling spigot above the stove. The flooring would be practical and easy on my feet, since I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. A walk-in pantry for food supplies and large serving pieces would be fantastic.
    And of course, my dream kitchen would clean it'self! LOL

Sherri S on August 13, 2011 at 9:10 am