Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 16

David on Episode 6: “He Didn’t Even Hear Me”

Design Star Mentor David Bromstad

David dishes on which space was the “one of the last places” he’d want to hang out. Plus, who he thinks isn’t listening.

What was your favorite part of the wedding reception? What was your least favorite? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 8:54 am

332 Comments

1. Sorry, Cathy — this is what happens when someone who is not a sweetheart tries to design a sweetheart table. Bye-bye!

byebyecathy on August 16, 2011 at 5:19 am
    • Thank God she went home little miss know it all

kbc on August 16, 2011 at 7:29 am
      • Amen. LONG OVERDUE! I Great people can take criticism and make the most out of it and don't have to blame others.

Peg on August 16, 2011 at 9:40 am
    • FINALLY !!!!! I've watched the show from the begining and have seen Cathy only do two things, design so-so and irritate anyone around her.
      I was shocked when I saw her exit interview. According to her, she's terrific. She doesn't really think that, does she ?
      Too bad she didn't get dumped much earlier. That would have been a cause for celebration !

cynthia on August 16, 2011 at 10:23 am
  2. This was a daunting challenge. I loved the lighting of the room but the table settings were strictly catering house standard. Kellie's ceiling decoration was imaginative. I can't believe Karl was trying to make a case because he installed it. A good carpenter could do the installation! I am impressed with Mark's listening to what the client (Val) is saying, and came up with the skateboard wall design. Overall, I think Kellie and Mark have the most potential, followed by Meg. I as SOOO grateful that we have seen the last of Cathy. She did not impress. She seemed to lean too much on past accomplishments and not on good design concepts.

saviors girl on August 16, 2011 at 5:24 am
  3. For a wedding that was supposed to be somewhat Victorian with bright colors, this room seemed really subdued. I really like the fabric on the ceiling because it hid the industrial elements and made the room smaller. There could have been much more color on the tables with plates of interesting shapes. Personally, I did not think Karl's flowers were that bad. It was the men's area afterall.

lizP on August 16, 2011 at 6:02 am
  4. Cathy has appeared as boastful, arrogant, rude, uncooperative and downright unlikeable. Would anyone want to watch her on HGTV? Personality does matter! Her departure was a decision that was overdue. Kellie's ceiling was spectacular; it made the room! She decorates with her talent & her heart!

learningbunches on August 16, 2011 at 6:05 am
    • I agree Cathy's departure was way overdue. For someone who said she had three weddings published in magazines, she showed no creativity in her table settings or sweet heart table. Boring!
      And she was so mean and snobbish towards the other contestants. I would NOT watch her show. Good riddance!

Carol on August 16, 2011 at 7:54 am
    • We could not see a real person in Cathy. She always seemed scripted or bossy. I saw her as a bully. Too bad she could not be more humble and real. Maybe she doesn't have those character traits??

jbbatwot on August 16, 2011 at 10:03 am
  5. O.K. really glad Cathy was finally kicked off the island! But what's up with Mark? With the exception of the White Room Challenge he focuses on one project which I never think amount to much. And yet, the judges fawned over his limp rope laddder, which looked like a net hung on the wall.This week his skateboard mobile left poor Kevin running around like a chicken to do most of the work. He may have suggested where to light the space, but he didn't do the electrical. Is it me, or does this guy have serious time management issues.

CharlesD on August 16, 2011 at 6:06 am
    • So totally agree. I think the skateboard "sculpture" was poorly executed, took way too much time and did not pay off in terms of design. I wonder why Vern gets all giggly when he talks about any of Mark's projects. I did not care for the rope ladder either.

Robert K on August 16, 2011 at 6:59 am
    • Yes, finally someone thinking like I do. They are ooooohing and aaaaahing over Mark's contribution week after week, and it's really nothing great. He'll be the winner of this competition, I know it. If I may be quite frank, he could have left with Blanche in episode 1. His unfinished headboard and side table combo was absurd. That room was a disaster. His white box challenge was fine, but Tyler's design was by far superior to Mark's. Let's not forget how he failed with Doug. Why he felt it necessary to apply wood to the wall, which looked like crap, instead of designing the room, is another example of how he skates by. Speaking of skating, that skateboard hanging piece of whatever was just as bad as his time consuming rope ladder. There is no way this guy could host a show, unless it's a series "How to Build One Thing a Day". That about sums up Mark.

Connie on August 16, 2011 at 7:05 am
      • Right there with ya on Mark. Nice guy and all, but jeez……how many challenges does it take before he is called on the carpet….or rope ladder, or skateboard ladder…for squandering away time on one design element at the cost of the overall design execution of…..yup, 3 challenges? Awful beds I could build in a day. His rope doo-dad that took up "the rest of day two". And…….WORST, the incredibly sad room makeover attempt with(out) Doug. Sorry, but that would have been a double-elimenation night for me!!! Great ideas Mark, just never a complete design…..EVER!!!! Helllo Judges!!!!!

Sherry Ray on August 16, 2011 at 7:54 am
    • LOL! I agree. I think you are right. He even said that a few times on previous episodes about his time management issues. He likes to take his time to do things and sometimes it does not work in his favor. I can't imagine how he would function in a glass room challenge.

What I think Mark has done a good job of week after week is he manages to get that one element in the room that is distinctly his point of view (and not just a piece he shopped for). Granted the skateboard mobile didn't turn out great but the concept wasn't bad – he listened to what his client wanted. Had he just been able to move himself along faster he might have gotten more 'bang for the buck'

It seemed clear to me, the boys weren't playing well this week. It showed in the lack of flow in that men's lounge area. The transition from the bar area with the lights and the mirrors to the couches seemed disjointed. That nasty brown divider ewe. And why all brown? It was brown on brown on brown except for the light fixtures hanging from the ceiling. I loved how they were hung to mimic the shape of the spiral staircase. That was done well. But they could have chosen different fabric and some richer tones rather than plaid! However, they only had 2 days. A commendable effort guys. You pulled it off and the most important part, your clients were happy.

fanfair123 on August 16, 2011 at 8:18 am
    • I agree with CharlesD. One good idea does not a design make. The skateboard "hanging" ended up on the far wall behind very strange lamps which no one addressed–and he gets praised because he honors the groom's hobby in a wedding reception? Weird. A scary feature of these "designers" is their inability to manage their time. In a design challenge of any kind, time is of the essence. I know that the "pros" sometimes have to rush as well, but the time crunch usually comes from sudden discoveries of hornets' nests, disconnected vents, drainage problems, or collapsing infrastructures, not because they simply planned stupidly and wasted twenty minutes spouting off about their past accomplishments. Judges, speak up!

Waiting for tips on August 16, 2011 at 10:44 am
  6. So Happy Cathy is gone. I believe in HGTV again. One little spat tonight but hope it
    doesn't turn into a male Cathy.

Shirley B. on August 16, 2011 at 6:10 am
  7. So glad Cathy is gone, i would never watch her show because she is great on camera challeneges but so rude in real life so whagt a fake person. i like kellie and mark the best there both very relatable and good designers

jackie F on August 16, 2011 at 6:14 am
  8. As both an interior decorator and an owner of a thirty five year event rental compnay… I was totally underwhelmed by this challenge. These designers have NY city to work in!! The bride was very clear on colors and the seating and sweetheart tables had silver overlays. The boasting above about Kellie's ceiling treatment–that has been done to death (fifteen years ago). The flowers were the worst part I thought! They looked like Walmart mixed bouquets! Love David Bromstad still!!

kim on August 16, 2011 at 6:14 am
    • And I suppose you've also been published in "national magazines."

Pixie on August 16, 2011 at 7:06 am
    • Kellie is another designer who skates by, just like Mark. Her whiney voice drives me nuts. The fabric tent, whatever you want to call it, has been done so many times before, who cares to see it again. The cake she chose looked like something straight out of Alice in Wonderland, not Victorian or romantic. I'm anxously awaiting for her exit too, as I do not like her arrogant demeanor. Oh and if I may add, she could have left with Brett for that lousy B&B the two of them designed. What a failure.

Connie on August 16, 2011 at 7:16 am
    • I agree. Wasn't the wedding reception ugly? Agree about David Bromstad. Evidence that somewhere, somehow, design stars are located. He is still not Tim Gunn . . . but no one can match the clever observations of Tim Gunn.

Waiting for tips on August 16, 2011 at 10:46 am
  9. So far in every season, the designers who try to push others around gets the boot. I would think that any designer who wants to compete on this show and has watched in the past would pick up on that one little detail. Great job judges!

Anita on August 16, 2011 at 6:19 am
  10. Cathy showed once again that she is a lot of talking with no substance. Glad to see her leaving the show. Mark and Kellie keep showing both have what it takes to become the finalists. While Meg has been improving every week Karl and Leslie have not. Kevin's personality discualify him as a possible show host.

Justin Case on August 16, 2011 at 6:30 am