Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 16

Emily on Episode 6: “It Was Weird, Dated and Over the Top”

Emily Henderson

Last year’s winner Emily Henderson on the four things you need to have a successful reception (hint: not a sweethearts table) and why she can’t wait till next week.

What do you think are the essential elements of a wedding reception? What was missing from the designers’ 24-hour effort? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 8:30 am

100 Comments

1. This week was my least favorite challenge so far, but next week we get to see individual challenges again, and I am so looking forward to that!

CplusE on August 16, 2011 at 5:25 am
    • I have to agree. I also completely agree with emily's comments. I'm 56 years old and found the decorating too over the top and fussy. Even with Victorian there is so much you can do to retain the theme and yet bring it into the 21st century. I continue to be so impressed with meg. She grows better every week and has a great personality. Hard to beat combination. I already know that I would absolutely watch a show by her.

sue on August 16, 2011 at 10:57 am
      • i hope you are voting for meg she only has 6% of the votes

colleen on August 16, 2011 at 11:40 pm
    • I think they should have David Tutera come in and give them some pointers. All of his wedding designs are over the top. I think you had to like modern and comtemporary to appreciate the design. Still the sweetheart table was horrible. I'm not in love with Emily she to plain for me but she made some good points.

downsouthgirl on August 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm
  2. I am SO happy that Cathy was eliminated. She hindered the other contestants.

Sheryl on August 16, 2011 at 5:39 am
    • I agree , she was a real pain!

RGG on August 16, 2011 at 6:31 am
    • Hurray, The Wicked Witch is dead !
      Absolutely agree ! Kathy was so angry and mean looking, BLATANTLY RUDE to others, took no responsibility for her actions, bossed everyone around , and thought too much of herself. Frankly, I would NEVER watch her show, hire her for decorating, listen to her advice, or seek her out . If I had been on camera , I would have 1.) asked her nicely to stop, 2.) given her a warning as to what the consequences would be if she continued being so rude, and 3.) followed through with the consequences. She was horrible and I really question the judges actions in including her in the final group. HGTV almost got me to quit watching this show. The main reason why I continued was to see just how long she was allowed to be so full of herself and so rude. Now, I am happily back to watching the show's finale and enjoying the next episodes.

marjorie gartenberg on August 16, 2011 at 8:40 am
    • I agree! I feel like I can finally breathe again and relax and watch a real design show now instead of the "I Hate Cathy Show" jeeez…..

Serendipity on August 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm
  3. Bye Bye Cathy! YEA!!! She was so not a team player! Design Star will be so much more exciting without her!

Patti on August 16, 2011 at 5:56 am
    • Totally agreed the other designers can show themselves now

joni on August 16, 2011 at 12:26 pm
  4. When they said Cathy wouldn't continue, i jumped up and did a little dance. SEE YA CATHY! :D

Emily on August 16, 2011 at 6:10 am
    • I did a fist pump!!! Very disappointed with the reception. NOT Victorian at all. Clear chairs??? I would have cried. I know they only had 24 hrs., but they are suppose to be designers and for the sake of the bride and groom should have worked together. Not possible with Cathy. Her "vision" for the table dressings was a hugh flop!

Cheryl on August 17, 2011 at 6:00 am
  5. Well it certainly wasn't Victorian, but all the praise heaped onto Mark for his skateboard mobile and Kevin's 60's lounge,proves once again that either HGTV or the D.S. judges at least don't like traditional design.

CharlesD on August 16, 2011 at 6:34 am
    • Wedding totally not Victorian. Do the designers know their eras? Did they discuss the elements of what is Victorian or a contemporary version of what that would be? With that in mind, I don't know what wife to be would want to walk into her fairy tale wedding reception and want to see skateboards hanging form the ceiling. Great idea, nice lounge……I want it in my home…..NOT at my intimate wedding reception for 50 people. The judges got it all wrong. The room was wrong for the event, great for a home.

Rosebud2005 on August 16, 2011 at 1:21 pm
  6. This was my least favorite challenge. Also, do you really need a grooms lounge and a sweetheart table. Come on…this is 2011! Could the white Victorian sectional get any bigger? The only thing that made it worth while in watching was that Cathy finally got booted! YAY

RGG on August 16, 2011 at 6:35 am
  7. I would have cried if that was my wedding reception. No design except for the groom's lounge and the skateboard installation. It just looked like a bunch of ideas that didn't really go together. I did like the bar in the lounge, great use of mirrors and the light up bar. So glad Cathy got the boot…"I have been featured in 3 national magazines". Come on, where's the humility?!?!?!

KMW on August 16, 2011 at 6:57 am
  8. I am glad that Cathy was voted off. How in the world could she relate to the client? She treated her equals with no respect. If she treated me as a client that way I would take my money and run. The people around you have value. Co-workers and clients have good ideas but Cathy would never find them out because she does not listen to anyone. Sorry Cathy,hope you learned something from this. Can't wait for next week as it will really be about design and not so much drama.

Becky on August 16, 2011 at 7:11 am
  9. I'm assuming HGTV paid for most, if not all, of the reception? I applaud the bride and groom not only for their thrift, but for their adventurous attitudes in letting design show contestants put their reception together without knowing much about what the end product would look like. I'm glad the designers delivered, and if the bride and groom are like most people, the design of the reception was probably good enough. I doubt any of the wedding goers noticed the elements that the judges deemed less than desirable, especially if they were drinking "good alcohol."

argyle on August 16, 2011 at 7:17 am
  10. I agree with you 100% Emily! Disjointed is the only word I could use to describe the lack of flow from the men's lounge to the bar area. What was with all the brown? So when we think man cave, we think brown brown brown? The only element that was really done well was the light fixtures hanging next to the spiral staircase. The mimicing of the shape of the spirals on the stairs was a very nice touch. But could have used more jewel toned (manly colors but jewel toned still) for the covers on the light fixture.

Can't wait for next week. Hope to see better for sure.

fanfair123 on August 16, 2011 at 8:28 am