Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 23

David on Episode 7: Where Were the Bunk Beds?!

David Bromstad With Design Star contestants

David dishes on this week’s many design faux pas (missing bunk beds, anyone?). Plus, who was he most disappointed (and even “irritated”) by this week?

What did you think was this week’s biggest design disaster? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 9:08 am

279 Comments

1. I have no idea why Kellie is still on this show. There is no excuse to just dismiss the homeowner's wishes because the "designer" feels it shouldn't be literal. If she were working for me (and I realize the homeowner didn't hire her, I'm just saying if) she would have been fired and I'd be in People's court trying to get my money back. Maybe Leslie's design wasn't great, but at least she tired to please the client. I would never watch kellie because I'd picture crying kids and unhappy homeowners at the end of all her shows saying "but I said I wanted a leather and wood lounge, why do I have a purple velvet dinosaur den?" and kellie would say "I didn't think you meant leather and wood literally" and smile her little girl "I get away with stuff" smirky smile. Ugh.

guest on August 23, 2011 at 5:38 am
  2. Kellie annoyed me from the start!

J.B on August 23, 2011 at 5:55 am
  3. Kellie is a too full of herself. I see through her fake facade, and wonder why several viewers do not. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and decided to go and read her point of view on her website and guess what I discovered? She is conceited as hell. Yuck. I hope she gets the boot next week.

Amanda on August 23, 2011 at 6:06 am
  4. What part of "I want a locker room" did Kellie not understand? She didn't ask any questions like, what is your favorite team, which sports do you like? She potentially had the easiest room to do. A wood box from Pottery Barn does not a locker make. What a huge missed opportunity. And let's not even talk about the bunk beds, the little kid was crushed. I hope HGTV will send someone with some talent over to redo that little kids room, and maybe a few of the others. I would never let these people in my house.
    But thank god Cathy is gone. Maybe it was just at my house, but the sound and the video were out of sync for most of the show, what's up with that.

Bado on August 23, 2011 at 6:09 am
  5. I personally think they should have sent Kellie or Meg packing instead of Kevin…I know he screwed his camera challenge, but I personally don't watch HGTV for the hosts, or their wacky attempts of trying to entertain us, I watch it to see good design, and hopefully pull ideas from to use in my own home.

Mark G on August 23, 2011 at 6:23 am
  6. I think Kelli should have gone. She blatantly disregarded her client's request…not just for one thing, but for two! And guess what? Little kids are concrete, literal thinkers. She is a mom and should know this. When a kid says he wants a bunk bed and a locker, that is exactly what he means. How disappointing for this little boy and his family…

Deana on August 23, 2011 at 6:25 am
  7. As disappointed as I was with most of the designs, I am SO glad that I didn't have to suffer through Cathy's self-righteous indignation, because you KNOW that the family would not have liked her over-the-top style, and I think she would have been more insufferable than Kevin was. Sadly, Kevin's room looked fairly nice, he just acted like a horse's a** with the clients–a BIG no-no. I liked Kellie, however I thought she had one of the easiest rooms. Especially being a mom to a boy that loves sports, I know that I would have had a blast doing that room. Leslie and Kevin were the right ones to go home, though. I thought Leslie, having a two year old's room to create, could have used bold colors, or a chalkboard wall, bookshelves with early readers, etc. David was right…she made a pre-teen room and it wasn't appropriate. I like Meg, but I think she and Kellie are on the chopping block if they don't knock it out of the park next week….

Julie on August 23, 2011 at 6:26 am
    • Yes… so glad that Cathy is gone! Could NOT stand her attitude.

brokenresolutions on August 23, 2011 at 11:27 am
  8. Every week I'm amazed at how these people made it on this show, just w.o.w. They are not stars of design to me….I have yet to see anything that resembles star quality short of the dining room this past week and it was done well I thought…still amazed at the L-shape sofa with back to the FP and lone ottoman in front…The foyer wasn't finished and needed more large items not multiply small items hanging on the wall…kids bedrooms were just bad all around…last week the kitchens were horrible too, I'm still waiting on somebody to show their unique style as well, much less just staying with a style when asked to do so…I know there are better designers out there aren't there???

DOD10 on August 23, 2011 at 6:27 am
    • Two days to design and execute a remodel? I wonder how much time they really get to consult the homeowners? Preliminary sketches, layout diagrams, choice of materials and colors, for the clients to approve ahead of the execution, would have come into play had they been designing in the real world. They did a lot given the constraints.

d'artanian on August 23, 2011 at 6:46 am
  9. That's the thing I found strange, for someone who is always crying and talking about her kids, you would have expected her to give this child exactly what he had wanted.

Mark G on August 23, 2011 at 6:36 am
    • That's because she is acting. She's an actress. She went to an open casting call. Need I say more? I can't believe I'm saying this but, I'm beginning to think Design Star is fake. No way should that woman have been allowed to stay. She designed something that she thought, and probably still does because she is extremely arrogant, was the best thing since chocolate milk. Her bed was dangerous and she did not listen to the clients requests. She failed and she stayed. Because she's an actress, not a designer. All that was missing were her tears during the reveal. She did look red-eyed during the elimination. She saves the good stuff for when the camera is rolling.

Connie on August 23, 2011 at 7:15 am
      • I thought the bed looked dangerous also…Where were the rails to protect the kid from rolling off at night?…I bet that was taken down and the kid was given a bunk bed and real lockers…And I've always thought Design Star was fake…I sometimes wonder why exactly I continue to watch it…If you think about it only one person has had real success from winning that show…Now HGTV is giving shows to past contestants who didn't win or even come close to winning…What happened to Kim Myles, and why does that arrogant, weird blond guy suddenly have a show…The keep advertising him as a fan favorite, but I didn't care for him when he was on design star…I thought he was nothing but a goof ball, and still do…I still think HGTV needs to have new episodes of some of their old shows, along with some of the old designers, and a little less reruns, especially of people house hunting.

Mark G on August 23, 2011 at 7:25 am
        • This site is addicting…. never been on and my first time on and I can't stop commenting. I think Design Star is staged and they know who will be in top 2 or three and then tell people when to design big and when to flop. Because how could Kellie pull off some pretty decent spaces only to bomb on a challenge that should have been her brightest moment? I have zero design sense and I probably could have pulled off a better room than her. Because I have a 2 year old and understand what he likes and what is practical. Both beds in the childrens rooms were impractical and unsafe. As a mom, she should have known that. But even is Design Star is staged like Project Runway is (my cousins coworker was a contestant and gave us the scoop on all the "fake drama" they create to boost ratings, I still love it and will continue to watch just like I continue to watch Project Runway… its fun and entertaining… and I actually learn a thing or two.

brokenresolutions on August 23, 2011 at 11:36 am
  10. Kellie and Meg were retained but Kevin was sent home? ROFL. Clearly an executive decision was made. I can just hear the chatter in the Board Room: "Most of our viewing audience is female and if we send two females home this far into the season, it will appear that we're sexist. We have to send Kevin home. Sorry." Kevin's personality is over-the-top but any viewer appreciates enthusiasm and personality in addition to a good design sense rather than Kellie's terrible designs and cold demeanor or Meg's always-near-tears angst and complete lack of talent. The next person who should be sent home is the head of casting for this show.

Peter on August 23, 2011 at 6:46 am
    • There lies the problem :-/ Casting for the show……. I'm wondering if they really do enough screening and what did they have to pick from because I'm still in shock that most of these people made it this far…At the very least get nice people that play well together in the sand box so that the designs shine thru, not all the bad personalities…you start picking people because they are work well together or because of things other than design….Just give us people with great sense of style please!!!

DOD10 on August 23, 2011 at 7:31 am
    • It's because he failed the camera challenge so greatly. I felt embarrassed for him while he talked over the homeowners. I think outside of Mark and Karl, it was really about who should be sent home because they did the worst. I personally found Meg's foyer and the landing extremely disappointing.

I mean a foyer and the landing is probably the easiest spaces to put together. And I really loved her idea of the story reading time area. It took her 3 days to put that together really? Her designs are so underwhelming. And I didn't think much of her portfolio either.

However, I think the judges picked the 2 right people to send home. Leslie's camera challenge was not good and her design had no clear vision. It was for a 2 year old! That room looked like it could be for someone older.

Kevin's room, omg. I saw when he was placing the sectional in the room that it cut off the flow and was awkwardly laid out. If he was going to create 2 different nooks, then he should have done that. It looks unfinished by the fire place. Plus, that awful camera challenge!

So the break down looks something like this: E=excellent, G=Good, P=Pass, B=Bad, A=awful

Karl: 1) matched homeowner's wish = E; 2) Design = E; 3) Camera challenge = E
      Mark: 1) matched homeowner's wish = E; 2) Design = E; 3) Camera challenge = G
      Meg: 1) matched homeowner's wish = P 2) Design = P; 3) Camera challenge = G
      Kellie: 1) matched homeowner's wish = P 2) Design = P; 3) Camera challenge = G
      Leslie: 1) matched homeowner's wish = P 2) Design = B; 3) Camera challenge = P
      Kevin: 1) matched homeowner's wish = P 2) Design = P; 3) Camera challenge = B

(Kellie got a P for 1 & 2 bc she did give them a variation of what she thought the kid wanted. Not a complete fail – but barely a pass!)

Leslie messed up badly with the design and Kevin with his camera challenge.
      No matter how disappointing the others were, they scraped by this week because of this.
      Both were a hot mess in the areas they failed. LOL!
      But I think they both have GREAT potential and are very sweet people.
      Good luck to you both!

And finally! I am so proud of Karl and Mark. They both did a great job!!

fanfair123 on August 23, 2011 at 8:05 am