Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 23

Emily on Episode 7: That’s What I Look For in a Host

Emily Henderson

Emily wants a host that will be a friend…who do you think delivered that for her this week? Find out, plus who she’s rooting for even though the designs aren’t “blowing her out of the water.”

With only four designers left, who are you rooting for? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 9:00 am

64 Comments

1. Agree with Emily almost 100%

I am really glad kevin is gone, but i wanted to see more from leslie. I have a feeling the next one to be out is kellie…. She is starting to get on my nerves.

Meg is doing over all okay leaning towrd good. i think she deserves to be this far but I cant picture her winning.

Mark is who I am rooting for. He has great design ability but he takes way to long on projects. And he should work not on just wood.

karl who is another one who i can see owning a show. he is creative and nice,

if i could bring anyone back it would be Tyler. I thought he was the best designer the show had. I would let him design my family room anytime.

J.B on August 23, 2011 at 5:45 am
    • i Argee. I am also rooting for mark…… And kellie should have just put in the bunk beds. I guess I would bring ty back….

elle3 on August 23, 2011 at 6:03 am
    • I'm just so relieved to see beautiful wood left alone that I think I'd totally watch a Mark show that was all natural woodworking, all the time. All the painting of nice wood that HGTV does makes me very sad, especially after refinishing a beautiful dresser that I had to scrape about five layers of paint off to make it presentable (not to mention removing linoleum tiles that someone along the way thought would make it look more "modern"). So Mark's wood fixation? I'm all for it.

Meg messed up her design this week, but I'm still liking her as a personality.

Karl could do a great show.

I'd also bring back Tyler, who I definitely thought was unreasonably ousted.

BuffaloBarbara on August 23, 2011 at 6:11 am
      • Unreasonably ousted? He was my favorite after the white box challenge. Tyler's problem was he did not know how to articulate his design into words. He also decided to apply tile to an area which was not the focal wall. Bad decision on his part. Cathy's camera challenge saved her butt that week. The judges could have sent Kevin home instead. His messy kid's space, and high stools were equal to Tyler's mishaps.

Amanda on August 23, 2011 at 6:21 am
        • And tylers White washed wall was amazing

elle3 on August 23, 2011 at 6:36 am
    • Mark and Karl are great, they listen and respond with beautiful, creative designs. Kellie's designs are wishy washy and she was intent on not listening to what the clients wanted, and that poor little boy was soooo disappointed, it really was upsetting to watch. I hope HGTV came through and redid that poor little boys room properly.

Dee on August 23, 2011 at 10:01 am
  2. My feeling is that we should start the whole season over without Kathy. The show is about design and peoples abilities not dealing with a dominate broad like Kathy. She chased the good designers away and they lost before they were able to hit the ground running. Kathy blocked them at every turn. This season was a disappointment becasue Kathy ruined it for everyone. I am surprised Vern did not see that and get rid of her right away. Design star is just not like it was in the beginning it has lost something in the last few years. Start season 7 over with out Kathy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joann Paschal on August 23, 2011 at 6:01 am
    • Cathy wasn't even there this week Joann. If you're speaking about Tyler being allowed to come back and start over then you need your head examined because he never worked with Cathy. Neither did Blanche, J, Doug, nor Brett for that matter. They failed on their own inadequacies, not Cathy's.

Amanda on August 23, 2011 at 6:14 am
    • I agree with you about Cathy. She was like a steam roller with everyone she worked with. None of her partners felt like she worked cooperatively with them. Then at judging , the judges would tell them it was their fault for not making their voice heard. Do they even watch what goes on during the designing process?

M.N. on August 23, 2011 at 10:03 am
  3. Emily, I love you, but do not agree at all about Kellie. I hope you're not trying to get us enthusiastic about her because you already know she's one of the finalists. When you cried last season about Nina's nasty attitude, you did amongst your competition, not in front of David Bromstad and the judges. I think you're genuine. Kellie, not so much. I wonder if she cried after revealing her room to Mason. Surely he had to ask why he didn't have his bunk bed and lockers.

Amanda on August 23, 2011 at 6:27 am
  4. Kellie should have gone. I LIKE Kellie, but she made a major error when she did not give the clients what they wanted. A little boy wants bunk beds and lockers. He didn't get them. It's that simple. Kids are concrete, literal thinkers. He knew exactly what he wanted, but Kellie did not deliver.

Deana on August 23, 2011 at 6:35 am
    • Agree, Kellie needs to realize that sometimes a bunkbed is "literal," and there is no way to not be "literal" when a child wants a bunkbed. Shame on her for disappointing a child and then even leaving him with an unsafe bed too high off the floor with no railing. What a mess. And despite the fact she has talent (although not always manifest) and usually a pleasing personality (except for the crying jags), I don't think I could listen to that nasal voice for an entire show.

Moonbeam on August 23, 2011 at 4:27 pm
  5. This was really a good show about design skills, the timing for crunch time is learned. But skill is you got it or you don't. Kellie did NOT listen, design or please her client, should have gone home. Same with Leslie, she was sweet, but does NOT listen even when David gave her hints. Kevin is and was always aggresive in personality, this does not work for TV design shows. Loved all of Karl's designs this week and agreed he should have won, again he proves he has skill if eveyone leaves him alone….he has proven he can collaborate and design with a group and still stand out minus last week. Mark…..I love wood too, but design is more than that…his rooms were OK, but could have been so much more, it felt really dark to me. MEG: honey you need to use your time better…those rooms should have look like how you described them….very disappointed this week in yours…My vote is still for Karl to win,,,he has the total package and will learn what he needs to master the camera fears!!! Looking forward to next week.

UFgirl on August 23, 2011 at 6:53 am
  6. What is this fascination with Kellie? OK, she didn't think the little boy wanted two mattresses as much as a place to go under the bed, so she builds a somewhat higher platform bed that's possibly unsafe for the child to sleep in, yet too low for him to stand up in underneath or even crouch in comfortably in about two years. And there's no excuse for those tacky crates on the wall with the cheap hooks below.
    Really liked Kevin's chandelier made of lamp shades at the wedding reception; Lesley always found nice accent pieces – the rubber table, the tall lantern, the oversized desk lamp.
    How could Meg not have put a sofa on that upstairs landing? And some low bookshelves? And a table?
    I wasn't impressed with any of her ideas.
    I'm pulling for Karl. Read his blog and you'll see that his designs are not haphazard, they're inspired by his study of master artists, etc. If HGTV is smart, they'll give each of them a show. I'd watch!

desertwildflowerlv on August 23, 2011 at 7:57 am
  7. Oops, I meant to say HGTV should give both Karl and Mark each their own show – had to edit my comment because it was too long, and the part about Mark got left out.

desertwildflowerlv on August 23, 2011 at 8:00 am
  8. I agree with Emily. I would really love to see a show by Karl.

Mark's show could be somewhat interesting when he's not being completely into himself and wood I guess.
    Right now, the rest I really don't have a feeling about one way or the other. I will say, I find Meg's portfolio, particularly underwhelming. She's very much a middle of the road designer. Meg has fabulous mini-moment's in her designs (ie fabric in B&B) – that's not the same as being a superstar designer. And I expected Kellie to wow me this week but she did not :(

fanfair123 on August 23, 2011 at 8:27 am
  9. I like everyone that is left… I hope to see Kellie Shine next week.. I really like her and always have.. I like Meg too she has worked so hard to improve each week.. This week I felt was unfair for her those two spaces were hard with there size and all. Mark and Karl are Amazing..I think Mark has a better chance of continuing he is pretty consistent every week. As Karl has had a lot of bad weeks. I like Karl I would love to see him succeed.

Ang on August 23, 2011 at 9:05 am
  10. For me, Meg's space was the toughest. Huge, vaulted area, "bonus" area on landing. To give her credit, she said "she had to put on her big girl panties and do the work" – or something like that. So, did she NOT get a carpenter or painter to assist or was the tasking just not organized well? hmmmm. Liked the concepts, but they never really blossomed. Mark, I wondered if you would finish. Completing things, being last minute have been issues. It looked good, but I wanted more. Kevin, I don't understand the furniture placement and mantle search. Leslie, I hoped for more; it was a lot less. Kellie the mother showed up, not Kellie the designer. Would that everyone had to exchange their design with someone after pulling it from the folder. I would LOVE to see Mark's take on Kellie's room. THAT would have been an awesome bunkbed. Karl, you are my favorite. You have an elegance in designing. Finishing the windows – great touch! And what you could have done with the foyer! Leslie and Kellie, any room but what you had would have been easier. Hope some hgtv did some re-do's. Enjoyed! Thanks.

shehopes2 on August 23, 2011 at 11:12 am