Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 30

David on Episode 8: “It Was Like ’80s Granny, Not-So-Chic”

David dishes on the final four’s budget design challenge. Who “ignored him completely” and who was practically “peeing in his pants” backstage at The Nate Berkus Show? Plus, he breaks down the best and worst designs.

David at the Nate Berkus Show

What do you think was the biggest disaster of episode 8? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:01 am

160 Comments

1. Is it too early to wish Karl and Meg could have a show together!? Meg's personality is infectious while Karl has such a wonderful aptitude for design that would bring some affordable and fresh ideas into the lives of "common Americans." These two compliment each other and they both work well together.
    Mark is great, he has beautiful ideas and seems to be a skilled craftsman (or have the ability to tell others what he'd like to see created…can anyone say, modern take on Woodwright's shop!? I'd love to see this!

NC Guest on August 30, 2011 at 6:37 am
    • Chicago Style, with Karl and Meg… designing apartments for local voters like Michael Mouse and G. Zilla! ;p Or maybe "The Chicago Way–they put one of your original design elements on E-bay, you put one of theirs in the municipal dump!"

I do agree. They'd do well together. Alas, the show doesn't work like that.

I'd love to see Mark doing a wood craft show. I'd also like to see the winner of the handyman contest get a show.

BuffaloBarbara on August 30, 2011 at 10:40 am
  2. Think you need to bring Kellie back! Could not believe that a few weeks ago the judges were saying that she was one that knew what good design was about! I loved her wall art! Marks was horrible! His room was messy with no cohesive design at all! Don't get it at all! So what was so granny about Kellie's design? Because it was not cluttered?

jan smythe on August 30, 2011 at 7:03 am
    • The judges are always contradicting themselves, so I wouldn't take much that they say too seriously.

Mark G on August 30, 2011 at 9:33 am
    • I thought Kellie's disregard of clients' wishes last week was bad enough, but she would rude to Genevieve. She was my favorite for a time. Perhaps she was tired, but her attitude needed adjustment. Sorry I do not agree that she needs to come back!

NC girl on August 30, 2011 at 10:59 am
      • I don't think she was rude, she just made a statement before answering yes or no…Those judges are just people…What they say or feel doesn't mean it's factual, it's just their view point.

Mark G on August 30, 2011 at 11:44 am
  3. I agree with David 100%. Wishing all three of the remaining designers the BEST of Luck!!!!!!!

Alexis on August 30, 2011 at 7:09 am
  4. Biggest Disaster – Kellie's hodgepodge of styles, mess of a room. Hate to say it – she was the worst this week. Camera and design. The judges did what they had to do. Loved to see Karl get more comfortable in the camera challenge. He really stepped it up this week. Go Karl!

shassy on August 30, 2011 at 7:17 am
  5. So sad to see Kellie go home. I liked her spoon, clock inspired, wall art and her stools. One of the other designers didn't even put stools at their bar and it looked so bare. She had some very creative ideas. I'm glad I found her website though, I can follow her there. All the remaining designers have had some good design ideas and executions so I'm looking forward to seeing their designs in the coming weeks. May the best man/woman win.

Colleen on August 30, 2011 at 7:40 am
  6. Meg is my first choice, because of her camera personality and her ability to follow thru on her projects. Her taste and thought process are wonderful. Karl would be fine, he just has to brush up on his confidence. Karl has no concept about time.

REGINA LATTIER on August 30, 2011 at 8:06 am
    • DID YOU MEAN MARK HAS NO CONCEPT OF TIME?

GUEST on August 30, 2011 at 8:09 am
  7. Enjoyed seeing what they did with their small budget and am looking forward to next week. One little comment…I liked the covered bar stools that Kellie did. That would certainly make them easier for sitting. I remember Emily covered a foot stool with a rug last year and the judges raved about that, too.

Mary on August 30, 2011 at 8:38 am
  8. I agree with the choices made on these would be design stars . Kellie was sweet but no real design style. Mark is too "scattered" and tries to do too much. Karl is very good if he will just "up" his self confidence. Meg is good and presents well. I think it is a tie as of episode 8 with Karl and Meg.

jodytoo on August 30, 2011 at 8:40 am
    • I believe Karl has hidden design skills,if he would just get past his fears and just go with it.
      Meg is also a great Designer.

Linda C on August 30, 2011 at 9:01 am
      • I think you're right. You know what is interesting to me? Some of the ones who make it on the show don't go on to great things with their own shows later. I can think of a couple of winners that were given shows but they just didn't have the "charisma" or something to hold an audience later. I can't recall their names.

jodytoo on August 30, 2011 at 9:56 am
  9. Hey David, since when has it been o.k. not to finish a project on D.S.? It used to be the priorty criteria, yet Mark keeps skating by week. If the rules are going to change then bring back Tyler.

CharlesD on August 30, 2011 at 8:52 am
    • That's what bugs me the most, these judges will chastise one person for doing something, then totally ignore it when somebody else does the same exact thing.

Mark G on August 30, 2011 at 9:23 am
    • Forget it about it. This show is all rigged. All the judges and commentators (david, emily and candice) are all conveying very similar messages about who they think is great like they are stepford wives or something. Kind of scary yet predictable on TV. I think I'm giving up on watching HGTV for the most part. My addiction is about to be cut short. Can't take it anymore. Done.

fanfair123 on August 30, 2011 at 10:36 am
      • Unfortunately, I'm beginning to agree! Mark has mismanaged his time over and over again, and yet the judges think his designs are great and keep him rather than give him the boot. (Remember his first challenge with the terrible looking beds? And that rope ladder in a later challenge was such a joke!) I get the feeling that the decision was made long ago to select Mark and his woodworking for the next design show. TOO BAD! It will bring in about as many viewers as Antonio's. What Mark has shown America is that he is not multidimensional. I wouldn't want him to design for me. But Meg – I'd take in a heartbeat!

disappointed on August 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm
    • In this case, I think it was that Mark's room didn't have a finished "feel," not that it was left (as in previous seasons) with half-done projects that HGTV would have to go in and fix. (Backsplash wars!)

BuffaloBarbara on August 30, 2011 at 10:46 am
  10. I'm curious, how many of you watch any of these people's shows after they win, and if you do, which shows do you watch?

I can honestly say I only watch Davids show and started watching Emily…I don't know where Kim Myles went, but I don't really care for Antonio's designs, they are just too gaudy and out there for me.

Mark G on August 30, 2011 at 8:54 am
    • Thanks, Kim Myles was the one I was trying to remember. And I agree with you on Antonio. I think sometimes there just isn't enough people watching their show and they kind of fade into cyberspace. (I wouldn't feel too bad about Antonio., sorry.)

jodytoo on August 30, 2011 at 10:00 am
    • II love Antonio’s show, it’s the only one I watch consistently, I love his use of color and the fact that he thinks outside the box. I would love to see Karl be this season’s winner; I would definitely watch his show.

Morgan on August 30, 2011 at 10:03 am
    • I watch David's. Some of Emily's. Have seen one or two of Antonio's. All the shows appeal to different people with different tastes, so I'm OK with it. I don't have to watch Antonio's show but if there are people who like it then glad they enjoy.

You don't have to agree but I like David B's and Todd Davis on room crashers for the new stuff and Candice for long time shows from time to time. But I respect her thoughts as a designer. Other occasional viewings I appreciate are the curb appeal the block, property bros., income property and holmes inspection. they are intelligent shows that talk dollars or real fixing that happens. I will NEVER watch Donna and Dina. Sorry not my thing.

fanfair123 on August 30, 2011 at 10:47 am
      • I like David, but not I'm not that CrAzY about Todd…He needs to tone down his hyperactivity…I did like what Casey did yesterday on the revamped Design On A Dime…I was wondering though, with her taking over that show, does that mean all the other Design On A Dime people are now out of jobs?

Mark G on August 30, 2011 at 11:40 am
        • It seems in the that they probably had a couple of different hosts per season for diversity. But I noticed that no one ever lasts a long time hosting that show. Span seems to be about 2 years maybe 3 at most. Not sure what they are doing with Design on a Dime currently. And Todd is definitely high energy. That is true. But I love how he finds things to repurpose. Not a lot of designers do that on HGTV, unless you're watching Design on a Dime type of show.

fanfair123 on August 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm
      • Oh and I like Sarah's show Design, Inc. and the Novogratz too. Novogratz, have some very bold ideas going, some of which I would not do. But for the most part they are fun to watch. (ie- they put a slide next to the stairs going down to a basement in a family room reno.) Very fun! I would to that.

fanfair123 on August 30, 2011 at 11:41 am
    • I watch David and Emily's shows — Emily's is my favorite. I've seen Antonio's a couple times but it's not my favorite. I liked Kim, don't know why she disappeared. But whatever happened to that blond woman who won the 3rd season? She completely dropped off the map, I don't think she ever even had a show even for a short time. (Not that I minded, she never wowed me. Can't remember her name.)

Sarah on August 30, 2011 at 11:17 am
      • I was going to ask about her…Someone said she ended up having a baby with special needs…The thing is she was on the Design Star competing against her Husband, you would have thought she would have taken the show and had her Husband provide the care to their baby…Oh well none of my business, everyone has to make choices, but it seems strange to just walk away from something you both were after.

Mark G on August 30, 2011 at 11:36 am
        • Someone said in an earlier post that she had a baby but that the baby was also a special needs child. I think I read somewhere she is looking to come back. Jennifer something is her name. Also an artist like David B.

fanfair123 on August 30, 2011 at 11:44 am
    • I watched Kim Myles but soon lost interest because of all the crafty accesories. You will not find a light fixture with a shade made of paper clips in my house! Antonio is just too over the top. I don't watch David regularly becasue his "color splashes" are just too much for me.! David I love your personality, can you do color without blinding me? Emily who? Now Todd Davis who was runner-up to Kim Myles, his new show "Room Crashers" is OK in my book. Don't like everything but gain good ideas and his personality is infectious. He makes me smile! My favs are Candice, Sarah Richardson, John Gidding and Lisa LaPorta. They got it going on!

2thFairy on August 30, 2011 at 11:42 am
    • Love to watch David and Nate's show! Antonio and Emily need to combine their shows into one disastrous half time want to be designers show. The Novagrats, both need a trip to the beauty salon and get rid of the good will clothes. Their design is very similar to their overall appearance!

Nena on August 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm