Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 30

David on Episode 8: “It Was Like ’80s Granny, Not-So-Chic”

David dishes on the final four’s budget design challenge. Who “ignored him completely” and who was practically “peeing in his pants” backstage at The Nate Berkus Show? Plus, he breaks down the best and worst designs.

David at the Nate Berkus Show

What do you think was the biggest disaster of episode 8? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:01 am

160 Comments

1. What store did they all go to in the beginning of the episode? I'm talking about the store where Kellie got the rug and the stools for the apartment.

Daniella on August 30, 2011 at 9:27 am
    • It looked like the neighborhood discount store. They went into a bunch of stores near Chinatown so it might be there too. Sorry don't know the name of the store but maybe listed on their shopping section here.

fanfair123 on August 30, 2011 at 11:19 am
  2. So I just finished watching David's and Emily's vlogs. I am starting to really wonder if the network had decided who they were going to pick a long time ago. How can they ALL like the same person and ALL have the same nice things to say about one designer? Candace AND Emily!?!? It must be the whole design crimes slogan. Sigh. I think I'm gonna stop watching HGTV if that happens.

Shocked on August 30, 2011 at 10:31 am
  3. I am just so OVER Karl … When he pulled that spoiled "take my toys and go home" attitude when he disapproved of the furniture choices Mark and Kevin selected and went to hang that "parachute" for the wedding reception for Kellie he lost my vote. JM2C. Go Mark.

BTW, I wonder if Cathy has had a FOURTH photo spread published in a national magazine by now? MEOW.

Evening_Black on August 30, 2011 at 11:19 am
    • Really? MEOW is what you post? LOL!

ridiculous on August 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm
    • CATHY………YES, I WONDER WHAT FABULOUS THINGS SHE IS DOING IN OUR GLOBAL NEW WORLD?????? MUST BE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC OR THE LIKE?????? MEOW

DAN on August 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm
  4. OMGosh – this years Design Star is so disappointing. There has not been one outstanding design yet. Meg acts like she has already won. If she does, I doubt I'll watch her show. And, I definitely will not watch Design Star in future years if Tamika remains as host. She is hoity toity and talks down to people. Kellie and Leslie, for that matter, have great ideas. Just because their videos aren't perfect, doesn't mean they wouldn't be good host candidates. I remember when David B started, he was a tad nervous and it showed as was Missy Geneveive. My choice for this year would have to be Karl.

On na HGTV note, I have watched this network for 7 – 8 years and seen how it has evolved. This past year has not been good. Too much House Hunters International. Kudos to House Crashers, Bath Crasher, Curb Appeal the Block. I think the Housewife party show will be goo, also..

NewsJnky on August 30, 2011 at 1:12 pm
  5. I think the judges were right on this week. Much as I loved Kellie, she really did not sparkle and shine this week! Meg and Mark are my favs but its going to be so tough in the end if it keeps going like it is now! And to have been on Nate's show this week must've been so nerve wracking for all of them! Gheez! I want to encourage you all at this point….great job, and may the best designer win! I do NOT envy the judges one little bit from here on out! I only wish I could have one week of trailing along beside David 'THE ARTIST of ALL ARTISTS' B my fav! I adore you! Be my mentor pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee…..
    Granny hugs to all ……………………………Pam :)

PamelaLane on August 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm
  6. No big disasters on this episode but Mark and Kellie appeared very nervous during their presentations on Nate Berkus Show. Kellie made no eye contact with the audience and Mark made a mistake with his "tin foil". Poor guy, he lost his wit to crack a joke to correct his mistake. On the other hand, Kellie was surprisingly defensive with judge Genevieve (saying something like "what I see as beautiful is different than yours"!) Karl was himself, clear and simple in his explanations while Meg engaged the audience the familiar way many show hosts do. Personally, I prefer the way Karl comes across because he seems genuine and professional.

shibumi on August 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm
  7. I AGREE

Maddie on August 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm
  8. Gonna Miss Kellie…..:(

Madeline on August 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm
  9. I have to say this episode was the biggest disappointment on all levels – design? not so much. No one stood out and least of all Kellie – sorry to say this but I am not sorry to see her go. My dred is that Karl could possibly win (giggling is not attractive on TV)- when Mark is clearly the better designer (this episode not withstanding). Meg has the personality and her skills have been hit and miss in this series but I truly enjoy watching her as well. Good luck you guys – this next challange sounds like it will make or break.

SYLK on August 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm
  10. still cheering you on Mark Diaz from the beginning. I think your designs are unique and that you are a very talented designer with great artistic abilities. Hope u step up your camera challenge, let go and enjoy the moment want u to win! I watch most of the designers weekly shows religiously and some of them are mediocre just like meg, whom i wouldnt watch no offense meg but your designs are just not great. Karls great, great ideas i think great camera challenge he did, but nobodys designs and ideas compare to Mark Diaz! (even if he didnt finish) And lose the beard, u remind of Bob Villa, too handsome to hide behind that.

marina on August 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm
    • Mark seems to have the most talent. This week, he was not himself; the rest of the shows demonstrated his unusual talent and creativity. I think that he has the most personality and the most talent. I find Karl to be childish; he does not possess the authority or sophistication to have a show of his own. Meg is okay but I haven't seen inspiring work from her. Painting a table with a design is no big deal.

barbara on August 31, 2011 at 4:02 pm