Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 30

Emily on Episode 8: “The Adrenaline Is Pumping”

Emily dishes on how it feels to be in the final four. Plus, which remaining designer does she think has “big problems”?

Emily Henderson

Which designer are you rooting for? Which apartment was your favorite? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 9:50 am

98 Comments

1. Kellie had used up all her second chances..sad, but she had to go. Now I do hope Mark get's "it all together" because I do think with his background, experience, training he has the best chance of being a PRO at this thing. Just look at the past winners..when it comes to hosting their own show..not all have really been WINNERS! [consider Kim & also Emily..]

Jonell on August 30, 2011 at 5:59 am
  2. Kellie was burned out. I do not think she cared anymore. Mark is in the same situation. I do not think many people will watch Meg or Karl.

bicuspid1 on August 30, 2011 at 6:25 am
    • Meg and Karl are my favorites.

@MsWildhack on August 30, 2011 at 9:25 am
    • True.

Sagebrush on August 30, 2011 at 3:58 pm
      • True with respect to Kellie being burned out and Mark getting tired too. I'm sorry, I know Meg can't help her voice but I wouldn't watch her show…and I just haven't cared for anything she's done..none of it stands out as great nor makes me want to watch her on tv. Karl is ok, actually can be funny when he relaxes–other times he has a deer in the headlight look.

Sagebrush on August 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm
  3. Overall, I feel that Meg has the correct blend of the talents required for hosting and designing. Meg has demonstrated an understanding of "knowing for whom she is designing" which is of great importance when working for others. She truly connects with her audience. She has shown some difficulty with time restraints, but time management is something that can be easily learned. The guys demonstrate uniqueness in their creations and I like what they have done, but with the camera challenges they show insecurity in their voice and lack of depth for describing the wonderful elements of what they have done.

Betty Thompson on August 30, 2011 at 6:40 am
  4. Love Meg!!!!!

ostrich on August 30, 2011 at 6:52 am
  5. Did you film this in the middle of a city park or something? Dogs barking, kids yelling… Love you, Emily, but can't HGTV spring for a studio for you to film in?

jax on August 30, 2011 at 7:21 am
  6. I think Karl may surprise us. He really stepped it up in the camera challenge this week, and is a solid consistent designer. Meg sometimes looks like she's trying too hard. She needs to relax a little in the camera challenges. Mark didn't wow me at all this week. It's crunch time. He can't be falling apart now. So, I think Karl may be the dark horse that wins it all!

shassy on August 30, 2011 at 7:27 am
    • I agree with your assessment. I find Meg a little forced and sometimes trying too hard to be likeable. I know I’m in the minority in this regard. If she could relax more……….still like her a lot.

Mark is frustrating as he can take a lot of time on a relatively small contribution. The rope ladder and the skateboard accents all took more time than he thought. If he was on team, it went ok as his team carried some of his weight. I hope he does not crash emotionally and can let himself be creative and time disciplined.

Based on the challenge, I would pick Mark to design my “urban home”. I find his style appealing.

JimV on August 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm
  7. Kellie seemed off of her game for the last two challenges, and I wonder if she was simply tired and missing her family. It didn't look like her heart was in it.

It looked as if Mark's nerves got to him, both in his design and in his on-air presentation, and that was surprising because he usually seems so cool and collected.

Karl really brought it with his live presentation. Those "book" shelves were a really creative idea–not at all surprised to see this innovation from Karl, but pleasantly surprised to see him perform so well in front of an audience.

I liked Meg's coffee table, but I wouldn't personally like her room for myself. But I can see why the judges liked it so much. And Meg seems to have so much confidence and personality in front of the camera.

I have no idea who the final two will be, but I'm pretty certain that Karl will be the ultimate winner.

argyle on August 30, 2011 at 7:28 am
    • LOVE KARL!!!! Total package and most consistent!!!

Jake2011 on August 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm
  8. That is the most adorable picture of Emily ever.

Elle on August 30, 2011 at 7:35 am
  9. Have been rooting for Karl since Episode 1. To me, he's hands down the best designer. He continues to improve in the camera challenges. And I think he can be coached to do even better. Mark can be great on camera even though he was pretty pitiful to watch last night. However, I think he has serious time management issues that would make it hard for him to do an HGTV show. And I think it would be harder to teach Mark time management than for Karl to continue to improve in his presentations. Mark's creativity overpowers his execution ability, whereas Karl already has that balance under control. And when Karl has a chance to talk about something he's really proud of, like the beautiful bedroom he designed or the bookcase last night, he's very comfortable doing it. And the more practice he gets with that, the more comfortable he'll be. Granted he appears nervous before hand, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. As one of my speaking coaches told me, "Don't worry about eliminating the butterflies before speaking; just make them fly in formation." Karl is learning to do just that.

pleitter on August 30, 2011 at 8:56 am
  10. I'm hoping it will come down to Meg and Carl.They seem to have a flair for creating more elegant and usable space. Mark's designs (being that he uses a lot of wood) seem to be more rustic. I do feel as if Kelly kind of lost her mojo :( and I really like her (as well as Mark). Wish them all the best of luck.

tinkluv on August 30, 2011 at 10:37 am