Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Sep 6

Emily on Episode 9: “One Week Until We See Who Wins”

Emily breaks down the tiny house challenge: Why she couldn’t choose a winner and loser, who she felt bad for and her favorite things about the final two.

Emily Henderson

Which tiny house was your favorite? Who are your rooting for in the finale? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:50 am

153 Comments

1. I could see myself living in Karl's house. Has everything I need in a warm cozy atmosphere.

MaryAwes818 on September 6, 2011 at 7:02 am
  2. Meg decorates interestingly. Karl designs. Go, Karl!

nancy on September 6, 2011 at 7:05 am
  3. Karl and Mark made the"most" of the spaces. They both had comfortable sofas at the end of the room. Meg had a hard bench with a thin layer of cushioning! I agree with Emily about the carpenter interrupting Mark. He was giving instructions to her for his design and it was interesting until she butted in. It was like we were overhearing his plans, which was great. Sorry, but Meg's voice slays my eardrums. I like her enthusiasm but of the two, Karl is the best designer. He always manages to come through with sensible yet imaginative and beautiful areas.

Bee on September 6, 2011 at 7:24 am
    • But he missed the whole point…he was supposed to be on camera doing his camera challenge…Carmen was trying in a very nice way to redirect him to what he was supposed to be doing. He's supposed to be talking to the audience (looking at the camera) not off having a side conversation with the carpenter. Why else did he think they sent the camera guy in there to film him. Tha's Mark's fault for not paying attention to the directions and it got him kicked off the show. Serves him right.

Lesley M on September 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm
  4. Definately Karl. His house was practical, beautiful and seemed comfortably homey. Meg's house looked like treehouse and teh color scheme was definately one that I would tire of rather quickly. I can't put my finger on it but there is something about Meg that turns me off. Everything she does is always the same. She does have energy in front of the camera but to me, it is fake. Karl is real and deserves to win. GO KARL!!!

Pam on September 6, 2011 at 7:47 am
  5. I do think Karl is going to win this competition!!! I agree with Vern he has a very keen eye for architectural design and spacing!!! They should keep Mark on their roster because I so enjoyed watching him as well, very talented!!! Meg is good too but her voice grates my nerves, that alone would prevent me from sitting 30 minutes to an hour watching her show!!! Don't like Demi Moore and she too has the same raspy voice!!!

Cathy Gately on September 6, 2011 at 9:01 am
  6. What is it with Meg's voice that makes you not want her to win??? She can't help that she has a raspy voice… it is not a reason to dislike her! I think she is very talented and should win this! She has the energy and seems that she was meant to be on television! Go Meg!

Graham on September 6, 2011 at 9:53 am
  7. I like Meg, but Karl should win. The show is Design Star — not Decorator Star.

Sandra on September 6, 2011 at 9:57 am
  8. This is to all the HGTV staff/editors/producers/ and anyone else that cares to read!!!! I would like to know why Emily’s video tape voicing her opinion about the outcome of episode 9 has been cut short TWO (2) whole minutes. Could it be that it was contradictory and controversial to HGTV’S and the Judges winning choice? In the beginning of the segment she is clearly voicing her opinion on Mark’s talent. What was edited out that you do not what the viewers to know? Her video tape CLEARLY ends before she is finished with her comments and that is VERY suspicious!

marilyn on September 6, 2011 at 10:03 am
    • Maybe… it's just a glitch in a website!?

NC Guest on September 6, 2011 at 10:18 am
    • Or maybe they don't want Emily's opinion to be heard..hmmm..

guest on September 6, 2011 at 10:27 am
    • It got to the 2 minute mark and stopped for me also…it picks up again with about 30 seconds left when she's done making comments.

Lesley M on September 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm
  9. Dear Emily,

I am disappointed in your comment about Mark. How dare you say that Carmen did not help Mark? If it wasn't her helping him to redirect his focus, he would have missed the whole challenge all together! He was SUPPOSED to talk to the camera AND the carpenter or did you not get that memo in your inbox?
    You obviously are biased because Mark's looks like your husband but don't try and make excuses for Mark.
    That's very unbecoming of you. And where are your usual comments about the designers? Has the network directed you to keep hush hush since next week's the week they announce the winner?

I like your show but I don't like where you are going with your statements or the lack of statements and frankly find you questionable. I think maybe I'll cut back on watching your show. Up until now you seemed real. Maybe I was wrong.

Surprised_atEmily on September 6, 2011 at 10:26 am
    • Note to readers: I think Mark should have stayed instead of Mark. Don't mistake me. But let's not place blame on someone who was obvious trying to help.

Surprised_atEmily on September 6, 2011 at 10:29 am
      • Oops I mean Mark should have stayed not Meg. Yikes. typing too fast. Sorry.

Surprised_atEmily on September 6, 2011 at 10:30 am
  10. I'm glad that Karl and Meg are the final two. Both are really talented, but I'd like to see Karl win. His designs have been consistently well executed, and he puts a lot of thought into actually fulfilling the challenge. I was blown away that he put office files on the wall near the kitchen table in the tiny house. Who would think to do that, except Karl? Also didn't like David dissing Karl when he said that it looked like a camper. Campers are designed by people who having been dealing with the challenges of small spaces for years. Why NOT think multi-purpose?

catmat1 on September 6, 2011 at 10:38 am