Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Sep 9

Sneak Peek: Finale!

It’s Karl versus Meg as the designers face one last test: Do a makeover for a deserving family and create a TV pilot. Who will succeed to become the next Design Star? See exclusive scenes from Monday’s episode.

Karl Vs Meg

Who do you think will be the next Design Star? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 6:10 pm

238 Comments

1. I like them both But Karl will be the winner

Anyya on September 10, 2011 at 9:55 am
  2. Ok, I’m beginning to worry! I think “Meg has it Pegged!” I recognized those two chairs in the picture where she is placing the flowers on the small chrome table. I HAVE THOSE EXACT TWO CHAIRS IN MY LIVING ROOM!!!! SAME EXACT COLOR!!!! Those chairs are VERY classy and beautiful!!!! In the sunlight they have a hue of light wheat and a wonderful texture! They also have a very classical timeless look. I’ve had them for about 18 months and have received many compliments. I know, I know… two chairs do not make for a perfectly designed room but it certainly helps! Darn! Oh well….maybe the judges won’t like them!

marilyn on September 10, 2011 at 10:30 am
    • Finally, Meg is showing some glimmer of design skill. Too bad it's all staged to make her look good in front of the camera while they make Karl look bad because they have already picked her a long time ago as the winner. It won't matter. He's the superior designer no matter what she does. It's just one episode out of 10 that we have watched this season. We know who the real star is even if he doesn't win. DS has turned into a joke and is losing credibility as a competition to pick design talent anyway. It's not like her show will last. As someone else said earlier, I wouldn't choose Meg to design anything for me – not even my dog's house. This is the result of constantly being spoon fed BS all season long. No offense to Meg but the whole thing just is unappealing.

Hector on September 10, 2011 at 10:50 am
  3. Meg is so winning this

Mary on September 10, 2011 at 10:31 am
    • Well if she does, I hope HGTV invests in a good voice coach for her, because truthfully I have to agree with a few others who said that her voice is irritating.

Mark G on September 11, 2011 at 7:15 am
  4. GO KARL! He's an uber-talented cutie and will rock his own show. I think the nervousness is all about the competition and process… something that passes once he wins!

Maggie on September 10, 2011 at 11:03 am
  5. Hope Karl wins. I agree with Maggie, it is the pressure of the competition that makes him nervous — anyone would be. Meg is okay, but Karl is the true professional designer.

Sandra on September 10, 2011 at 11:11 am
  6. So I want to point something out that the producer wrote in the last episode (8). It's been bothering me but too busy to get on here to say something before today.
    Loren says, design is so subjective. Well Loren, I agree to an extent. Let's further elaborate on the subjectivity of design.

- Design 'style' like traditional, modern, contemporary, urban, minimal are very subjective to ones taste and preference.

- Design 'sense' however is not subject at all. This is where your style defines the room with form and function. So if you got the right style piece for your room but it's the wrong scale or the color fits the right style but it's off by shades, then the room will be off too. Same goes for function.

Meg seems to have a style she's drawn to but always misses on the form and function, especially in relation to the space she's supposed to design. (the ones she's done by herself is very evident). While it is good to have an eye for picking good pieces out that might fit the style, if you can't pull it all together, it won't matter what the style is. The room will just look off no matter what and you don't need a professional eye to see that.

Celeste on September 10, 2011 at 11:31 am
    • You're right and perfectly stated it too !

Sagebrush on September 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm
    • Well put. Form, function, flow, scale, proportion, color, texture, pattern, repetition of shapes, lighting, light to dark changes in color, balance top to bottom and side to side, traffic patterns, affects of light on color, something unexpected to make it interesting, quality of finishes-materials-work-durability, cost. What I and probably most of the HGTV regular audience have learned about from many books and watching HGTV. So why is Meg still there? Design police as a show theme? Insulting and boring. Was I mistaken when I thought that HGTV was about inspiring the audience to try something different so that they would buy more from HGTV's sponsors and advertisers?

Keg on September 11, 2011 at 6:59 am
      • Keg, I agree! I heard David, Genevieve, and other judges instruct the contestants to never be negative, i.e. Meg said in her camera challenge at the wedding reception that the reception hall was white and BORING!

If Genevieve was right, why would HGTV create a whole show based on calling homeowners spaces boring, ugly and criminal?!

MaryAwes818 on September 11, 2011 at 9:33 am
    • I don't know how the producer can miss your point if he ever reads this

creative on September 11, 2011 at 9:27 am
  7. So judges, I say all this because it is NOT all so subjective and if a contestant misses then it's time for them to go. Please don't sit for hours thinking "oh but design so subjective" No, all aspects of design are NOT subjective. And save us the grief of watching what looks like inconsistent judging week after week.

Celeste on September 10, 2011 at 11:37 am
    • I agree about the inconsistent judging. Candice was only there for 3 episodes. THREE. I don't like the idea of having a "guest judge" in every single week, because that gives LOTS of inconsistence to the design panel and some guest judges(*cough* Dina Manzo *cough*) are not even qualified designers.

Tyler Fan on September 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm
  8. hopefully mark will win the online show.

shalom on September 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm
  9. I liked Karl and Mark's Tiny House SOOOO much better than Megs. And I can't listen to her, the voice is annoying and I don't like her style very much. Karl has a terrific eye, loved all of his spaces and he would be someone I would watch. I would hope HGTV finds a spot for Mark, he has charisma and talent. I never watch Candice's shows, and I think she liked Meg. Anyway, KARL should win.

Jo in Minneapolis on September 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm
  10. Speaking of unoriginal, Meg's design show idea isn't original.
    She says in the episode with Nate Berkus show that she's been following his career for the past 10 years.
    Looks like she got a show idea out it all that following – design crimes. haha. Not even her show idea is original. How funny.

Valerie on September 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm