Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jun 6

David on Episode 2: “It Was Frightening to Look At”

David Bromstad on The Design Star White Room Challenge

David chats about why he loves the White Room Challenge, who he’s most disappointed in and who he knew was in trouble.  Plus, who created something he’d want to buy? Find out after the jump.

Do you agree with David’s critique? Did the right designer go home? Shout out your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 9:40 am

49 Comments

1. I GUESS BEX AND MIERA'S ROOMS WERE NOT WORTH MENTIONING???

miera melba on June 6, 2012 at 5:52 am
  2. I really think a better way to judge would be by a cumulative point system. Each week the judges could score each contestant. That week's score would be added to the contestant's cumulative score from previous weeks. The person with the lowest cumulative score would be sent home. This way designers would win by being consistently good and not any one challenge would send a contestant home. Seems that ultimately then the best overall designer would win the season.

DebSpeaks on June 6, 2012 at 6:58 am
  3. ok i think his name is stanley, with the long hair and tatoos. don't have a prob with that at all, but his white room challenge was awful!!! this is just silly. anyone could have done that in 30 min. no effort no style, come on hgtv designer judges, what's up???? for some reason you want to keep him in there. i would have kept the austrailian. he is interesting.

jacki on June 6, 2012 at 7:50 am
    • jacki – Couldn't agree with you more. If I find something to be an abomination, I know the judges are going to like it.

Greg on June 6, 2012 at 8:58 am
    • I completely agree. Even though the room didn't have to be functional, I didn't think the light displays themselves were that creative- very one-note. So he turned a couch up on its end and backlit it.. Big deal. That he "thought" of it? Whatever.

Char on June 7, 2012 at 5:47 am
  4. what was Bex's room?

jacki on June 6, 2012 at 7:58 am
  5. oh yeah, nevermind. i saw it.

jacki on June 6, 2012 at 8:01 am
  6. I usually pick the winner in the 1st episode. This is hard because it is between 2. In the end Rachel will win it.

Lindalee Flessas on June 6, 2012 at 8:32 am
  7. I agree – I think Stanley's room was not very good and it made him see lazy. Did he really spend 1.5 days putting some lights up? I wish Jordan would have stayed and Luca left. All they liked from his room was his signature and light. All they liked from Jordan's room was the red bamboo piece. To me it was about even.

I really liked Danielle's camera spot and how Miera saved her space with the painted rug. I also agree with DebSpeaks on the scoring system. Each person has their design strengths. I really thought that Stanley would get sent home after the crappy room design from last week and the lights this week.

Pam on June 6, 2012 at 8:35 am
  8. Jordan's room may not have been original, but he does have good style. I would much rather sit in his Japanese garden then Luca or Stans room. Kris what was that? You should have gone home. Hilary a turtle??

Designlove on June 6, 2012 at 9:02 am
    • I agree! I thought Kris should have gone home last week aka: Mr.arrogent know it all; :)

Autumn on June 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm
      • Are people really being so easily manipulated and swayed away from the DESIGN of this season's show. I know that I watch and will continue to watch for talented designers and their work, which unfortunately has become the only thing that is still somewhat objective on this show (if it's shown at all). Come on HGTV.

Spring on June 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm
    • Calling poorly painted cheap bamboo furniture good style is a bit much, and didn't complete the challenge. If they wanted the designers to just paint a room with no outside artistic vision, or make a cozy place to read a book, that's what they would have told them to do. Jordan admitted himself that he was off and couldn't find inspiration. That's all it takes on show's like this to get the boot. We've seen it happen before. I don't think he would say his room was very good.

MrRx on June 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm
  9. I believe that Miera's room did not receive the credit she deserved. I look at these rooms and truthfully, her room was the one I could see actually living in and enjoying. Her designs remind me of Candice Olsen, classic, beautifully designed rooms that will stand the test of time. I would certainly grow tired of the other rooms very quickly. I wonder, if Candice Olsen was a contestant today, how would she rate against the garish displays of color that seem to be enjoying the wins? I love watching HGTV, but feel tthat a lot of the design shows are focusing on fads rather than pure design style. Vern Yipp is an exception..his designs are exceptional! When Meg's Great Room comes on, I flip the channel!!!

Lynda Zappone on June 6, 2012 at 9:19 am
  10. Stanley's room ( and I use the term loosely) was a hot mess.

Connie on June 6, 2012 at 10:14 am